Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takufu01

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
I totally agree...I think that they will sell some phones....but....for people like me that arent willing to upgrade for $449 there will be a few of us....guess once ATT lost their exclusive rights they figured why bother....thats how I look at it...they figure they wont profit as much....its a shame...there are those of us that have been good ATT customers.....but...I guess thats how business goes....:mad:

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
I've been an at&t customer for 10years now. I've been able to upgrade to every iPhone, annually, and it seems like they're going to give us all a hard time around again. Shame on AT&T for not honoring its older customers anymore.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
I called support. Even though my bill is $300 a month, they won't let the master acct have the yearly upgrade anymore. I was escalated to a manager and they refused saying i am now 20 months and there is nothing they can do.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
How did you get them to do it for you?

Because I was actually at the 2 year mark but their system showed when I started this new line that I had started with a contracted phone instead of the off contract 4s that I brought on. My original post is the last one on page 1 (if you have the default amount of posts per page).

Nikki2

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
My AT&T contract is not up until May 2013. I will have to pay $449 for the upgrade but I sold my 4S to Nextworth for $300 so will really only pay $149 out of pocket. I always sell my old gear to Nextworth or Gazelle to offset the price of the new releases.

araczek

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Tinton Falls NJ
Early upgrade woes

Did the *639# and I got the same message others got. $250 + $36 activation fee. I wanted to get the 32gb so $300+250+36=585. NICE. Plus I am on the old 2GB data plan, possibly they would force me to get the 3gb plan now? What yo think?

Like when I bought the iPad2 I lined up early and only 64gb models
came in that were wi-fi, at about $800.

So who wins, voice of reason or my inner geek. I think we know the answer.
VISA.:(

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Honoring what? The contract is 24 months, not 12 months. Additionally, at&t is the only carrier that allows the early iPhone upgrade at all (for $250). Verizon and Sprint make you wait until the end of contract.

Clearly your communication skills with sales people are just sub-par..

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
What does the 24-month contract have to do with communication with sales people? Never even talked to one and I signed the contract. They could've said whatever they wanted but I actually read contracts I sign.

I see.... Goodluck with all of that. :eek:

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Do some of you work for AT&T or something?

I don't get the odd bitterness toward people who are disappointed that they stopped allowing yearly upgrades for longstanding customers (especially those of us who spend so much... I'm right around 250 bucks a month with multiple iPhones).

I don't feel I'm entitled to an upgrade every year. I do feel that AT&T are being jerks about it, because they've been doing it as long as I can remember, and not just on iPhone. I"ve been with them since the 90s and I could get a yearly upgrade whenever I wanted because my base line was over 100 bucks on a family plan.

I knew they'd changed policy months ago, but decided to call a rep the other day. Yanno what they told me? They could override the update schedule for me (like many of you, I'm eligible in May 2013) if I wanted ANYTHING BUT AN IPHONE.

Soo... yeah. It's bad business on their part. There are other carriers now that can take their iPhone customers. Some people don't care about the inconvenience of swapping carriers to save a buck. I do... which is why...

I'm not going to switch because at the end of the day, it's just money and I like new iPhones every year. Besides, I can upgrade one of my other lines. My kids get iPhones handed down to them, so I have upgradeable lines all the time.

I just think a little goodwill toward longer term, higher paying customers wouldn't be too much to ask.

Not insist upon, of course. But, well... there you go.

mr1581

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I don't get the odd bitterness toward people who are disappointed that they stopped allowing yearly upgrades for longstanding customers (especially those of us who spend so much... I'm right around 250 bucks a month with multiple iPhones).

I don't feel I'm entitled to an upgrade every year. I do feel that AT&T are being jerks about it, because they've been doing it as long as I can remember, and not just on iPhone. I"ve been with them since the 90s and I could get a yearly upgrade whenever I wanted because my base line was over 100 bucks on a family plan.

I knew they'd changed policy months ago, but decided to call a rep the other day. Yanno what they told me? They could override the update schedule for me (like many of you, I'm eligible in May 2013) if I wanted ANYTHING BUT AN IPHONE.

Soo... yeah. It's bad business on their part. There are other carriers now that can take their iPhone customers. Some people don't care about the inconvenience of swapping carriers to save a buck. I do... which is why...

I'm not going to switch because at the end of the day, it's just money and I like new iPhones every year. Besides, I can upgrade one of my other lines. My kids get iPhones handed down to them, so I have upgradeable lines all the time.

I just think a little goodwill toward longer term, higher paying customers wouldn't be too much to ask.

Agreed...and I was told the same thing

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

in the same situation, called and was told the same thing! any OTHER phone I want they're willing to be generous and let me upgrade EXCEPT the iPhone..

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I called AT&T and they said I can upgrade early for $350 with my premier account. I think I'll wait 6 months because for that price I can get a 32GB model.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
My AT&T contract is not up until May 2013. I will have to pay $449 for the upgrade but I sold my 4S to Nextworth for $300 so will really only pay $149 out of pocket. I always sell my old gear to Nextworth or Gazelle to offset the price of the new releases.

What are yuo going to do for a phone till then? And you are still going to have to pay the bll

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
It's funny how when you log in to the AT&T website they greet you with the check your lines for an upgrade message.

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York
I spoke with someone through live chat yesterday. I got them to move my upgrade up from Nov 2nd to Sept 21st. It is possible. Kind of just depends on who you speak with and how you speak to them.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I spoke with someone through live chat yesterday. I got them to move my upgrade up from Nov 2nd to Sept 21st. It is possible. Kind of just depends on who you speak with and how you speak to them.

Oh... It's only because your upgrade date was so soon. Trust me. I had that same convo. If mine had been at 15 months (as now the minimum is 18 months) they would've moved mine up, also. Mine's not even at 12 months yet, so they won't budge... unless I wanna go Android or something ridiculous.

I have one line that's eligible right now, and another that's eligible in early December. The December one was on the 2-year upgrade schedule as a secondary line and they can move that one up, but I don't need 2 new iPhones or anything, so I'm leaving it alone.

It's just weird business is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.