Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced new features that will be provided to its Unlimited Elite customers, which is its highest-tier and most expensive data plan at $85 per month.

ATT-new-2016-logo-featured.jpg

Starting this week, Unlimited Elite customers will have access to unlimited data that is not slowed down at peak times after hitting a specific data cap. AT&T says that all Unlimited Elite customers can continue to access high-speed data regardless of how much data they've used.

AT&T Unlimited Elite previously included 100GB of premium data, after which AT&T would temporarily slow data speeds at times of peak usage.

AT&T is also increasing mobile hotspot data from 30GB to 40GB, so Unlimited Elite customers can use more data when tethered. HBO Max, which is included in the Unlimited Elite plan, can now be streamed in 4K resolution.

Additionally, AT&T is building in ActiveArmor security, which is designed to automatically block fraud calls and notify users of spam risk alerts.

The Unlimited Elite plan includes unlimited talk and text, 5G access, unlimited texting to more than 120 countries, and six months of Stadia Pro access. These new features will be automatically rolling out to all Unlimited Elite customers this week.

Article Link: AT&T Ends Data Throttling for Unlimited Elite Customers, Adds 40GB Hotspot Data and 4K HBO Max

This is great news! Good job AT&T. Not going to lie AT&T has really stepped their game up. Apps like AT&T Call Protect, Free HBO MAX, Active Armor for private VPN really making a difference out there against other competitors.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wish the new plans weren't such a lousy deal. Right now I have two lines on a 12GB Mobile Share plan, and pay $106 a month, including taxes and fees.

Even the CHEAPEST among the new plans, with all their restrictions would run me $120 a month before taxes and fees.

I think this is their way of raising prices. Leave older customers on their cheaper plans, and only offer more expensive plans to new customers. As churn happens everyone slowly pays more on average over time.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
About the 4K HBO Max, there isn't that much.

Watch HBO Max in 4K HDR​

You can watch the following movies in 4K Ultra HD, HDR 10, and Dolby Vision on select deviceswith the Ad-Free plan:

per https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001167

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
In before people try to explain the word unlimited.

I'll bite!

Unlimited should mean "no limits"

And yet... throttling is a speed limit... which is... by its name... a LIMIT

That's why people are annoyed by that word.

What these companies are really saying is: "It's unlimited... but actually there are some limits..."

But good on AT&T for creating an "Elite" Unlimited plan that isn't throttled. High five. ✋

I'm worried about the future though. Once AT&T finally gives people unlimited amounts of data at unlimited speeds... where can they go from there? There are no more upgrades to sell people.

Well I guess they could just raise the price...

(and yes... I know "Unlimited" in this context has always meant the amount of data... I'm just fooling around...)

:p

Last edited:

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I wish the new plans weren't such a lousy deal. Right now I have two lines on a 12GB Mobile Share plan, and pay $106 a month, including taxes and fees.

Even the CHEAPEST among the new plans, with all their restrictions would run me $120 a month before taxes and fees.

I think this is their way of raising prices. Leave older customers on their cheaper plans, and only offer more expensive plans to new customers. As churn happens everyone slowly pays more on average over time.

A lousy deal?!? Realistically, it's the 12GB plan you're getting a lousy deal on...

You could do Elite for $130 (with a FAN), so for $24 more a month, you can have actual unlimited instead of 12GB, plus 40GB of hotspot per phone, plus HBO Max. That's basically a pittance for what you get. That's not even factoring in higher priority data and higher-quality streaming. (If you don't have a FAN, figure $1.25 more a month to join AARP).

You might not have a need for that plan, but you seemed to wish it was cheaper which implied that you wanted it.

droman

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2021
Left them 2 years ago and never looked back. I had their top tier "unlimited data" plan and when they would throttle my data, it felt like worse than Edge speeds. Basically unusable. Greedy selfish company, not saying none of them are, but AT&T is definitely up there, probably alongside Comcast, lol.

Reactions: Razorpit

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Unlimited should mean "no limits"

And yet... throttling is a speed limit... which is... by its name... a LIMIT

That's why people are annoyed by that word.

What these companies are really saying is: "It's unlimited... but actually there are some limits..."

But good on AT&T for creating an "Elite" Unlimited plan that isn't throttled. High five. ✋
"Throttled" normally means you can't get past a certain speed (like after your hotspot is used up you're at 128kbps). On unlimited plans like the Extra, you're not throttled after your 50GB is gone, the term is deprioritized. You only have an issue when (and IF) the tower you are using is overly busy, if it is, then you are served last (lower priority) after the others. When the tower recovers (this could be a second later) or you move on, you're back to normal.

Unlimted Starter is subject to being deprioritized all the time, some people don't have any issues (just like some people never noticed when they break 50GB on their Extra plan). I usually got better speeds in rural areas after hitting my limit, than I did in the city before hitting my limit (because those towers were busy even for those not reduced).

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
when they would throttle my data, it felt like worse than Edge speeds. Basically unusable.

That's what I never understood about throttling.

You either get 100mbps 5G speed... or you get throttled to ridiculous dial-up speeds. And like you said... it's unusable.

It's basically an on-off switch. No variance.

Seems like if they have the technology to keep track of every bit you download... including which part of the month your billing cycle is on... that they could also be able to control the throttling more effectively.

Instead... they say "oops it's day 25... and you're on a crowded tower... you didn't really want to use data, did you?"

:p

Reactions: zapmymac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.