AT&T exclusivity for new hardware? (speculation)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nooaah, Feb 7, 2011.

1. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Just throwing this out there:

Is it possible that Verizon won't see another refresh until December 2011 or January 2012 because AT&T paid for 6 months' exclusivity for the newest hardware version?

IMO, I see this as the likeliest scenario. I just can't imagine Verizon releasing a new version in 4-5 months. That's an absurdly short lifecycle, even if it were only to happen once.

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It could be possible, I believe they have released the newest hardware like these in other countries.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

The iPhone is a worldwide phone. The rest of the world is not going to wait until Verizon is ready for an upgrade. :confused:

5. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

When other countries were losing exclusivity, new carriers released the current hardware, and only a few months later released the newer hardware. There's no way Apple is going to put Verizon six months behind every year.

6. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

When the Verizon iPhone was announced, Apple also stated that they had come to a new agreement with AT&T to continue distribution of the iPhone. This time the contract is non-exclusive.

7. zenio macrumors 6502

Apple is very focused on creating an excellent GSM Phone. Eager to put antenna gate into the history books, I know Apple all too well. They will not blow it on the next model for AT&T in June. Out of bad situations comes good things.

Apples out to prove their not the fools they appeared to be. And no one from Apple will be condescending like Apple Circus Ringmaster Jobs. Mark my words THIS next GSM iPhone will be excellent. It's going to be the iPhone to have.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sure they can! They are Apple and doing so would drive sales from expiring Verizon contracts.

9. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Wow your comment made me lol. EVERY iPhone is the one to get until a newer model comes out. I absolutely love my iPhone 4 and have had zero "antennagate" problems. It's just a phone, but for me it has also been a fantastic portable media device.

10. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

I can't wait for iphone 5 or what ever to come out, I really, really don't like this phone... not as comfortable as 3G, heavy, antenna isue. Hope/ pretty sure apple will release better phone next time around, but for now, 4 will do...

11. icyfire macrumors 6502

No no no. Apple doesn't play like that. They will release a new model at the same time across all carriers. Imagine the backlash when Verizon customers will find out they're not getting the newest model while their AT&T friends are.

Apple is all about simple, straightforward product lines. The CDMA iPhone release is certainly an anomoly in that respect (no doubt hastened by increased Android competition), but I'm sure the iPhone 5 will be a universal CDMA/GSM phone available to all networks coming out sometime this summer.

The iPhone 4 won't disappear when 5 comes out. It will simply be relegated to the discount bin for $99 (similar to how you can buy a 3GS now for $99).

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I doubt Verizon is getting any special treatment on this one

1) rumors indicate that current verizon iPhone has a gsm+CDMA chip
    2) every other iPhone carrier isn't going to wait for verizon
    3) verizon was not the only carrier to announce iPhone during it's mid cycle.

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Do you think there will be an early upgrade option price for Verizon subscribers when the 5 comes out?

If I was going to switch to Verizon this is what I would do. Get a 1 year contract for an android device. Getting a 1 year contract makes me eligible for an upgrade December of this year. My December upgrade I would upgrade to the 5. This way I can lock into unltd data plan.

14. unknown0 macrumors member

I read that the unlimited data for Verizon is tied down to the device. So getting a droid to get unlimited data will only lock down the unlimited data until you change phones. If Verizon is no longer offering unlimited date in December when you plan to upgrade then you will lose it when you upgrade to the Iphone 5.

From the looks of things Verizon is sure to get rid of the unlimited data for when the Iphone 5 comes out. AT&T has not brought back the unlimited data option so there is no reason for Verizon to keep that option open when the Iphone 5 comes.

15. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

This is a good question - but I would guess both carriers will get a new device this summer.