AT&T Extends iPhone 3G S Upgrade Pricing to Many Customers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

While today's big news has been the release of iPhone OS 3.0, AT&T today also announced that it is expanding the eligibility window for determining which customers are eligible for upgrade pricing on the iPhone 3G S. Customers who previously would not have become upgrade eligible until July, August or September of this year will instead qualify for AT&T's lowest upgrade pricing as of tomorrow, making them eligible to purchase the iPhone 3G S at the $199 (16 GB) or $299 (32 GB) price point at launch. Affected customers will save $200 on the purchase of a new iPhone 3G S as a result.
Importantly, we want our customers to better understand our wireless device upgrade program. Like most U.S. carriers, we offer a variety of phones that we sell below our actual cost when customers agree to sign service agreements. In general, the more a customer spends with us, the quicker they become eligible for a price break on a new device. For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract.

We also currently offer early upgrade pricing only for iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.

All of that said, we've been listening to our customers. And since many of our iPhone 3G customers are early adopters and literally weeks shy of being upgrade eligible due to iPhone 3G S launching 11 months after iPhone 3G, we're extending the window of upgrade eligibility for a limited time.

We're now pleased to offer our iPhone 3G customers who are upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009 our best upgrade pricing, beginning Thursday, June 18.
Newly-eligible customers who have already pre-ordered the iPhone 3G S at the higher prices will receive credits for the difference in price. Users can check their upgrade eligibility status by visiting AT&T's iPhone page, calling *NEW# (*639#) on their AT&T device, or visiting any AT&T store.

Reminder: The new pricing will not appear in the eligibility tools listed until Thursday, June 18th

Article Link: AT&T Extends iPhone 3G S Upgrade Pricing to Many Customers

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
$98 bills mean December instead of July for me... and I bought in July!

calling TONIGHT :D

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
What happens to those of us who already paid $499 to Apple or AT&T? I already purchased mine from Apple's online store.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see that part in the middle. I wonder if I would have been eligible.

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Well, this has got to be good news for SOME customers. Personally, this does not affect me, since i bought the iPhone when it first came out 2 years ago. But I also have friends who were not qualified until September or so. I guess all the ranting did pay off for some. But for others, well . . .

YoGramMamma

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
happy birthday to me

and its not even my birthday..

but i fell into this boat.

Time to sell this 3G ASAP!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's a nice gesture.

The shame of it is that the people being given this gift probably won't appreciate it. I suspect many of them will see this as atonement for AT&T, when in fact there's no reason in the world they had to do this.

We'll see. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and they'll get praise for this. Sure would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

SatanLover

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
GREAT! now how the F are we supposed to get one? they are all sold out and on back order now! LMAO! oh well beggars can't be choosers i guess i'm pretty excited now!

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I am still not able to upgrade... this is not a complaining comment but I bought my iPhone 3G on release day... How are others able to upgrade that have a 3G and I cannot upgrade until December...This doesn't make sense for some of us still. I remember seeing a few others that bought theirs launch day and have to wait til December.

andrew0122

macrumors regular
Well that is mighty nice of AT&T

They must have FINALLY realized that all of the early adopters of the 3G who want the 3GS were planning on holding off until the 2010 iPhone.

As for me I just Pre-Orders the 3GS on the 13 (Sat) and it is being overnighted from Fort Worth, TX . . . Kinda odd anyone else have any thoughts?

Now if only my bill was less than $90/ Month. . . :rolleyes:

mstell168

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
$98 bills mean December instead of July for me... and I bought in July!

calling TONIGHT :D
Same here, waited online on launch day for both the previous versions, if I understand this correctly if my bill was $2.00 more a month I could buy it Friday at the discounted prices, instead I have to wait until 12/12 because of $2 a month... thats just stupid!!!!

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
This confuses me. How does this affect ANYONE with an iPhone 3G who bought that the day it came out???
I am still not able to upgrade... this is not a complaining comment but I bought my iPhone 3G on release day... How are others able to upgrade that have a 3G and I cannot upgrade until December...This doesn't make sense for some of us still. I remember seeing a few others that bought theirs launch day and have to wait til December.
it has to do with your bill costs. if it's over $99 per line you get 7/09, if it's under, you get 12/09.

honestly, i am going to call and see if i get lucky. my bills have been over $95 forever...

aperture01

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Washington, DC
AT&T Ruelz!

people always hatin' on AT&T! I've been with them for years they are a great company if you ask me. One time I called japan for a long time racked up $300+ in overage chrages, I called the next day and added international calling to my phone, and they knocked down the charges to $50.

I really just don't like verizon. but whateva, that's me... Alright looks like I can buy a 3gs for dirt cheap because I just sold my iPhone 3G 16GB for $240.
:D

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
This confuses me. How does this affect ANYONE with an iPhone 3G who bought that the day it came out???
You can be upgrade eligible after 12 months if you spend a lot (i.e., pay back the subsidy fast). So there are people who bought last july who would be upgrade eligible this july.

Perhaps ATT wants to juice revenue in q209?

healthyfatboy

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
At least they clarified the upgrade process some so next year when the newest version comes out, there won't be the confusion there was from this year. We'll still have people who don't like the policy but if that's the case, they can sign up for the $99/mo plan. For those paying $98 for your bill, is that before or after taxes? My guess is the $99 cutoff is before taxes.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
They should offer it to all existing iPhone 3G owners and TAKE THE HIT.

They don't do that? No care.

I want a LOT for not much. Every time.

LOL

moka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
California
i don't get why they would give them a break, yet i still have to pay $499 for the 32gb iphone 3gs and i currently own a first gen iphone that i had to reactivate because at&t could not reactivate the previous phone number i had after a warranty replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.