Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Adding a second line ...

Or in my case a third ...

If you have a history of spending money with ATT they're willing to bend the rules a bit. For the case of simplicity lets assume you have ONE line now with an iPhone 3G

They will let you add a second line to your account. It only costs an extra 9.99 per month plus the data plan for the iPhone. You can get the 3GS for 199 on this new line.

The key is that they WILL deactivate the data plan on the first line if you give them the IMEI number of a regular phone. Minutes on both the lines get combined.

The extra 9.99 per month does work out to 240 over 2 years but if you regularly pay extra for minutes or text, it ends up being cheaper.

If you're so inclined - you can probably unlock your 3G and offload it on ebay for a few hundred bucks.

Just something to think about ...

(In our case we already have 2 lines. One normal, one data with a 3G. All minutes are shared. I'm adding a 3rd line with the 199 3GS, 2 year contract and an extra 9.99 per month. Data contract on the current 3G gets canceled and I'm unlocking it to be used abroad on my travels.)

eV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.