Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

AT&T Files Complaint Against Verizon Over 3G Coverage Map Commercials

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Engadget reports that AT&T has filed suit against Verizon over recent Verizon ads touting its national 3G network by comparing its coverage to AT&T's 3G network using the iPhone-inspired tagline "There's a map for that." The complaint requests an injunction preventing Verizon from depicting non-3G coverage areas in AT&T's network as "blank" spaces on maps in its advertising, as well monetary damages suffered by AT&T due to the advertising campaign.

Article Link: AT&T Files Complaint Against Verizon Over 3G Coverage Map Commercials

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
While I have ZERO complaints here in Houston, AT&T has nothing to complain about in other parts of the country that are struggling. Fact is fact, Verizon is the superior network based upon coverage and signal reliability. As always, YMMV.

Comment

Juo100

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
The advert is perfectly clear that its talking about 3G coverage, Verison has blank spaces on their map as well, poor little AT&T.

Comment

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
So, Verizon says their 3G coverage is better - Fact
Their ads say streaming video is easiey over 3G - Fact

Therefore, the ad isnt misleading at all. Yes AT&T has 2.5 coverage, but it's slower than 3G.

This reminds me of the Palm complaint to the USB people.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I complain about AT&T a LOT and even I'm on their side here.

The ads really do make it look like you can't use an iPhone in the non 3G areas. There needs to be some amount of honesty in these kind of ads.

Surely Verizon can find many ways to make themselves look better than AT&T. They shouldn't need to depend on iffy things like this.

Comment

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
whatever. ATT isn't as great as they make it to be. I have pretty crappy connections, speeds, and have network problems on campus here in downtown Denver. Some spots are just black holes. (even though there is a ATT building viewable from here) Always go from EDGE to 3G and back, even when I sit in one spot. Can't wait for iPhone on Verizon someday.

Comment

res08hao

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
As a long time iPhone lover who has just switched to Verizon, I can assure you the map is accurate. In fact, I would stipulate it also reflects just their basic calling coverage. ATT really is terrible.
Ask me how I know.

Comment

Suspended
Sep 21, 2007
I know for a fact that there is 3G coverage not listed on that map. I drove between two cities and tethered my iPhone 3GS to my Macbook and almost never did it drop off of 3G. There is a HUGE blank spot on that map where I had 3G coverage the entire 1500 mile stretch I went through. Sure enough though, verizon's map shows they supposedly have coverage there and ATT does not. It's BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Substantially similar experience?

So the 2.5g network drops out 30% of the time?

That's like saying that a bike provides a "substantially similar experience" to a 747; both *will* transport you from point A to point B, but that's about it. So in AT&T's mind, ANY internet connection is pretty much the same as 3G.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
How in earth is this misleading? :confused:

Attachments

• mapforthat.jpg
    mapforthat.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 703
Comment

Antares

macrumors 68000
Makes sense. When I see that ad, it does actually make me think that AT&T has no cell coverage outside of those blue areas, not just 3G. And I know better. Yet, every time I see that ad, I still inherently think that there is no AT&T voice coverage, either, in all those white areas of the map. This is definitely misleading. AT&T is in the right, here.

Note: I have Sprint as my cell provider. So, the point is moot to me.

Comment

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
The average consumer has no idea what the hell 3G is, and it might associate that 3G = data = the interweb.

So, by showing the AT&T map all white, the average consumer thinks that it will have no data coverage on almost all of the US. OMG :D

I think AT&T has a case in point as being "misleading". But Verizon also has a good point, in which it specifically states "5 times more 3G coverage".

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The advert is perfectly clear that its talking about 3G coverage, Verison has blank spaces on their map as well, poor little AT&T.

The vast majority of consumers have no idea what 3G is. To them, it probably seems ATT has no coverage in the white areas.

To solve the issue, I have 2 ideas.

1. Hire an independent lab(s) to test their networks and publish results.
2. Let the CEOs get together and throw their junk on the table. Biggest one wins.

Comment

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
While I have ZERO complaints here in Houston, AT&T has nothing to complain about in other parts of the country that are struggling. Fact is fact, Verizon is the superior network based upon coverage and signal reliability. As always, YMMV.

Umm, doesn't the "your mileage may vary" statement completely kill what you stated as fact?

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Aholes Through & Through

I've had AT&T and Verizon, and there is no doubt that Verizon reaches further and more places with better services. If not, I would have AT&T.

Comment

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
What's funny is I live right smack dab in the middle of some of AT&T's pathetic 3G coverage yet I still can't get a 3G signal at important places like my job, my parent's house (my apartment is fine) and most of the college campus I attend.

Even if AT&T says they cover an area with 3G, I find it's possible to find big gaps in 3G coverage still.

Comment

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

i believe the issue that ATT is pushing is that Verizon padded their numbers and aren't actually comparing the same services. if that is true, then Verizon should be slapped down. if not, then ATT deserves the public humiliation.

there has also been some talk that Verizon photoshopped the other carriers maps so things look worse than they are.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
How in earth is this misleading? :confused:

A still frame is not a TV ad.

Voice overs, titles, and timing all create something quite different from looking at a JPEG. If you actually watch the ad they are clearly trying make you think that blue = "can use an iPhone" and white = "can't use an iPhone."

In addition, how can the viewer fully forget Verizon's other main set of current ads?

When I see a bunch of ads where a non-verizon customer has NO coverage at all, that plays into my thoughts as I'm later watching a comercial with that map. The entire campaign is one thing. What you see in other ads alters what you're thinking as you view this one.

The average consumer has no idea what the hell 3G is, and it might associate that 3G = data = the interweb.

Another EXCELLENT point. I'd guess a LOT of people think that 3G = internet.

Comment

trrosen

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Its an outright lie.

So, Verizon says their 3G coverage is better - Fact
Their ads say streaming video is easiey over 3G - Fact

Therefore, the ad isnt misleading at all. Yes AT&T has 2.5 coverage, but it's slower than 3G.

So is most of the area claimed as 3G by Verizon. There using different definitions of 3G on each map as many Verizon customers in there supposed 3G areas will attest to.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.