Carrier AT&T Full Retail Price $15 Activation Fee BS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imax2k2, Sep 19, 2015.

1. imax2k2 macrumors member

On the ordering page i noticed, buying the iPhone 6S Plus at full retail price, that AT&T is charging an activation fee for so called upgrade. Such BS.

I ordered a T Mobile phone as well and I'm guessing that will be an unlocked phone, I'll just swap sims and be done with this BS as soon as the contract is over. I had a chat with a rep and they told me to do the same thing to not use AT&T information while ordering to avoid the cost. Such a scam.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah. What a scam. They want to make money. How dare they???

3. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Can you just move your SIM card over to this phone? I think you can avoid it that way.

4. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

I'll do that and see what happens. This is just something that shouldn't exist in the first place.

5. willmtaylor, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yeah, lots of people have been talking about it here:: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...g-to-45-new-15-fee-for-next-customers.1902602

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

That's what I want to know. But one concern that I have is because even though the full price option was there, when you click to buy the AT&T 6S/6S Plus full price, it asks you for your phone number and the SSN associated with that. So in theory, when they ship your phone, wouldn't the sim be pre-activated? Or can you just remove that sim and just insert your current sim?

I wonder if there will be any issues?

7. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

In case you were trying to point out if I searched, I did and I didn't fine those threads. One of the threads above is for Verizon not for AT&T. The other thread about AT&T doesn't talk about existing lines, its talking about BYOP fee for a NEW line. The first thread you pointed out was for a refund when a free upgrade was apparently offered, so NONE of the threads you pointed out actually point to what I just posted, thanks but no thanks

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

How does this not address your question?

9. imax2k2 thread starter macrumors member

You just sounded very sarcastic, but if you were not, I apologize. Thanks for pointing those threads out.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yup.

11. JCrz macrumors 6502

I hope someone pick-pockets you so I can say the same thing to you.

12. willmtaylor, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

What thread are you quoting or posting in?

13. JCrz macrumors 6502

Apparently you've never used a computer before. Try scrolling up. There's also a little arrow icon that takes you to the original post.

14. TT D'arby macrumors member

it's in this thread.......he's talking to the guy who thinks it's okay do anything you want to make money

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Good one?

Odd, it didn't load the thread entirely for me earlier. Thanks for the "help" though. I'll take it wherever I can get it.

16. stulaw11 macrumors 65816

It's been this way since August 1st like it or not. People act like this is something brand new but 6 weeks old now.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

6 weeks is brand new.....

Not everyone stays on top of carrier activation fees

18. markb1 macrumors newbie

It should be called the "we don't want your business fee".

19. bmustaf macrumors regular

Activation fees are ********. When you pay for something you expect something in return. An activation fee is a fee for nothing. I have no problem paying for a service or a product. Activation fees are fees for no reason other than profiteering.

Activating a phone does not incur a cost to the carrier beyond normal operations. Especially in this day and age. Back when someone actually had to manually provision a phone and do actual work I could perhaps begin to entertain the idea (although I still reject most of the economics behind that argument as most carriers roll those ops fees into the usage charges).

Phones are provisioned (or can be) without anyone lifting a finger. This is blatant profiteering. Evidenced by the fact further than most corporate contracts have this fee waived and it isn't being recouped in any other way. They found a way to keep making a 100% profit on a ******** fee and are sticking with it...

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

These activation fees are nothing but greediness by the carrier.
    Coming up with new ideas and ways to nickel and dime us.

21. terraphantm macrumors 68040

So you're saying it's impossible for an entity to scam its customers just because it's after money? What kind of logic is that?

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The question I have is this.

The way that Droid Life words this (and also BTW, no ATT employee has had an answer to this so far), it sounds like you would have to be a NEXT customer or a BYOD customer, AND activating a new line.

Like I said in another thread here, while IANAL, I am the son of a high school principal who got her bachelor's degree in English, so it's safe to say that I had English Lit, grammar, and semantics drilled into me at a rather early age. ;)

taking my position into account: NEXT customer? no. BYOD customer? yes. activating a new line? NO.

I would only meet one of those conditions for the $15 activation fee, as I'd already be an existing customer, with the new iPhone coming in from the Apple Upgrade Program (which according to ATT, would fall under BYOD). But I'm not activating a new line, nor am I upgrading anything. And Mobile Share plans =/= NEXT.

So why would existing customers bringing a new device to their already existing line be charged the $15?

So far, ATT hasn't answered that.

BL.

P.S. I'm asking this for everyone else, as I also have a FAN account, so the fee would be waived. But still, there's vagueness in their policy that needs to be addressed.

23. mrgeekguymd macrumors member

Hi all,

I feel that the new $15 activation fee is total BS. I bought two iPhone 6s' and was charged $15 for each despite one phone being purchased outright. I did see someone else's thread about that, but I just wanted to start this to see if anyone has had any luck getting the fees waived regardless of the type of purchase.

Cheers!

24. nephipower macrumors newbie

25. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

be thankful you're not one of the sheep that paid $45 for an upgrade on 2-year contract.