Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itoddm

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
North Carolina
Well I just chatted with them about waiving the $40 fee. I was able to get them agree to apply a $25 credit to my next bill. So instead of paying $40 I will pay $15. I also get a discount from my company (25% of certain charges) so I'm not going to complain.

Sporwick

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Success!!!

Just chatted with them. Killed them with kindness and got both $40 fees for my wife and I credited to our current bill. Was a very easy and nice chat. Had success two years ago as well :)

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Just live chatted with an AT&T agent and got my $40 activation fee waived.

Just be polite and mention how you've been a loyal customer for years and you feel as though you are being penalized for being a loyal customer..yada yada yada. I also mentioned that there's absolutely no effort on their part to upgrade my phone and that I've spent a lot of $ over the years as an AT&T customer. Good luck!

dakota747

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2013
Utah
We got 3 lines upgraded on our account to the iPhone 6. I attempted to get all 3 upgrade fees waived or credited, and supposedly, the representative had to ask her supervisor and was only able to get one fee credited. She also gave me the bad news that upgrading through a 2 year contract instead of AT&T Next, our mobile share plan discount will be taken off, charging me $40 instead of $15 per month, per line upgraded. Kinda pissed that they are trying to get everyone on their AT&T Next plan.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I was given the "you didn't go Next, so you can't have it waived" line. The probably also flag all grandfathered unlimited plans for not waiving. Or I got a rep who just isn't nice.

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2009
Success... And AT&T "chat" is really a chat. lol

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.
Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Angelique Blythe'
Vito: Hi Angelique
Angelique Blythe: Hi Vito! Do you have questions with your bill tonight?
Vito: I do actually
Vito: I was just curious, I have been a long time at&t member and wanted to check in to see if I could get my upgrade fee that was just charged to my account waived.
Angelique Blythe: Aha! I knew it, is that included in your 08/08 - 09/07 bill?
Vito: I think it will be on my next one. I just ordered the new iphone
Angelique Blythe: Oh, congratulations on your new phone Vito. :)
Vito: :)
Vito: Thanks
Vito: very excited
Angelique Blythe: Yeah! its exciting because the new iphone is such a nice phone. Oh, I wish I could have one too.
Vito: Do you get a discount?
Vito: I heard that At&T employees have to wait to order one?
Angelique Blythe: Honestly, my budget can't reach the price of the new iphone yet. That's why I will need to save more money for that one. :D
Vito: I hear ya. I had to make a couple sacrafices to get this one
Vito: Someone at my work bought a new one for his whole family, i thought he was crazy. must be nice lol
Angelique Blythe: Oh! That's a lot of money. An iPhone for the whole family is extremely expensive. LOL
Angelique Blythe: By the way, with regards to your upgrade fee, as much as I wanted to help you on this. It is a standard charge for all customers for the upgrade.
Angelique Blythe: My deep apologies, Vito. Hence, we are not allowed to waive this one. I salute you for being a valued customer to us and I thank you for that in behalf of AT&T.
Vito: ok. no prob. Do you think i would have better luck calling? I have seen a few people on forums that have successfully gotten it waived by making the request.
Angelique Blythe: Oh, let me check it on my manager first. One moment please.
Vito: ok. thanks for checking
Angelique Blythe: You are very much welcome.
Angelique Blythe: Thank you for patiently waiting Vito.
Vito: no problem
Angelique Blythe: Great News! My manager granted your request to waive the upgrade fee as a one time courtesy credit for being a valued customer to us for years. ^_^
Vito: thats really cool. thank you for asking

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
Glad to see people are getting their upgrade fee waived

All I have to say to AT&T about a $40 upgrade fee is B!TCH PLEASE!

There is no justification

I'm guaranteeing money to them by extending my contract

Paying $40 to upgrade a phone, even though I stayed up until 5AM to preorder, spent $300, and didn't even deal with a rep, is very wrong and it's damn near penalizing us for putting more money in their pockets

I can halfway understand if I was in the store getting full service and having questions answered, but even then, that's their job.

I refuse to pay $40 for a unjustifiable upgrade fee.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I don't understand. Are you guys getting this waived before or after placing your pre-orders?

For example, did you already pre-order and pay the $40 and then call AT&T and request that it be credited on your next bill?

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
I don't understand. Are you guys getting this waived before or after placing your pre-orders?

For example, did you already pre-order and pay the $40 and then call AT&T and request that it be credited on your next bill?

It should be done when the bill with the upgrade fee on it has been generated

mattwashere88

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
No dice on my first attempt, even while killing her with kindness. :confused:
I may have to try again in a few days. It's encouraging to see that so many are having success though! I'd rather get it taken care of before the charge appears on my bill next month.

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
No dice on my first attempt, even while killing her with kindness. :confused:
I may have to try again in a few days. It's encouraging to see that so many are having success though! I'd rather get it taken care of before the charge appears on my bill next month.

That's when you need to do it. It's not on your bill yet. Try again once the bill with the upgrade fee comes out.

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.
Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Lester Norca'
ME : Hello Lester
Lester Norca: Hi ME!
Lester Norca: Thank you for using AT&T Chat Services today. I will be happy to assist you.
ME : I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new iPhone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account
ME : Long time customer and wondering what we can do :--0
Lester Norca: No worries ME and I'll be glad to check what we can do with the upgrade fee.
Lester Norca: Please give me a minute or two to review your account.
ME : thank you very much Lester I appreciate it
ME : its the new iphone 6 btw
Lester Norca: You are very welcome!
ME : Whatever you can do will help , a one time waiver or whatever you can
Lester Norca: Sure thing ME.
ME : much appreciated
Lester Norca: As for the $40 Upgrade Fee ME, this fee is usually charged once a new 2 year commitment is signed to get a new device at a discounted pricing. This charge will only be waived or cleared if our customers will sign up for the ATT Next Plan and this charge is applied both for new and old ATT customers.
ME : Next is not a good option for me unfortuantely
ME : I could really use the credit though
ME : whatever you can do for a long time customer
ME : never missed a payment
ME : never goes over data unlimited either
ME : :)
Lester Norca: We greatly appreciate your loyalty with us ME and for keeping your account current.
Lester Norca: What I can do though is get one of our best Customer Care representative to check for other options with regards to the said fee.
ME : that is fine , even a credit onmy next bill would begood
ME : somethign to ease the pain
Lester Norca: Sure.
Lester Norca: Please stay in this chat this for 1-2 minutes while I explain everything.
Lester Norca: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
ME : ok no problem I will stay on
Lester Norca: Thank you very much!
ME : thank you please whatever you can save me is appreciated
One moment while I transfer the chat to a representative that is better skilled to handle your concern.
You are not currently in a chat session.
Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Michelle Martin'
Michelle Martin: Hi ME! I'm glad to be chatting with you. How are you today?
ME : good how are you
ME : Lester explain the situation?>
Michelle Martin: I do see that you wanted to have your upgrade fee waived, we can't waive upgrade fees ME.
ME : ok a credit then?
ME : on my next bill?
Michelle Martin: No we can't ME, sorry about that inconvenience.
ME : Ok since I am out of contract i would lik to cancel service
ME : I have 2 iphones ordered
ME : one for aTT and unlocked T Mobile
ME : Whenis my contract officially over?
Michelle Martin: ME, you want to cancel service because we can't waive your upgrade fee?
ME : just want a 40 credit for the upgrade fee
ME : nothing more
ME : if you cant that is fine
ME : cannot hurt to ask
Michelle Martin: One moment ME I will check with my support team on this :)
ME : thank you Michelle whatber you can do I apppreciat it
Michelle Martin: I see you have been a long time customer with us ME, I suppose I can credit you that $40 this one time :)
ME : perfect thank you vry much
ME : very
ME : much appreciated
Michelle Martin: My pleasure ME, stay on with me while I make this change :)
ME : will do I am here

I got it waived :cool::cool:

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Just tried my luck and was told I need to wait until the fee hits my bill first. The CSR made a note on my account though, so I think they'll waive it for me when the time comes.

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
SFV California
I have family plan with a few lines still on grandfather unlimited data.

Called in regarding the two lines which I upgraded and have the fees waived.

Lady was tough and said No, according to your history you have had previous upgrade fees waived and should know this is a one time courtesy.
I thanked her and then went to online chat.

In the chat I explained the same thing and added that I usually get the fees waived in the past.

Lady was nice and said she would put a note to have fees waived when my bill arrives.

I asked if I should call back when next bill arrives.

She said yes to call back but the notes she put will explain everything so I won't have to re-explain.

Good luck to others and like mentioned above always be polite and courteous and if it doesn't work then keep on trying.

kskill

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
new york, ny
FYI, I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data and got mine preemptively waived. They said no at first (my plan is already discounted), but I stuck to my guns:

Keith: I feel like I am being penalized for being a loyal customer of over 6 years.
Eduardo Osborne: Hi Keith we love the loyalty we will review the account regarding the upgrade fee
Keith: thanks so much!
Eduardo Osborne: Welcome
Keith: is that all or should I stick around this chat?
Eduardo Osborne: Please stay with the chat while we conduct a account review.
Keith: you got it!
Eduardo Osborne: Thanks
Eduardo Osborne: Stated in the discount agreement that the upgrade fee is a standard fee we add for every upgrade
Keith: I've heard that AT&T has been waiving the fee [or crediting accounts] for other people who have the discount too, though?
Eduardo Osborne: For this fee its standard fee we charge.
Keith: But why am I being charged for being locked in to AT&T another two years? I could have went to any other network but I chose you!
Keith: It doesn't cost AT&T any extra money for me to stick with them another 2 years, so I don't understand why I'm being billed an additional $40
Keith: In fact, you'll get a couple thousand extra dollars from me!
Keith: Even if it's just a one-time waiver, it would be much appreciated to help offset the cost of a $400 new AT&T iPhone
Eduardo Osborne: Let me check my resources I want the best for valued customer
Keith: thank you very much!
Eduardo Osborne: Welcome just a moment pleasee
Keith: sure thang
Eduardo Osborne: Thanks
Eduardo Osborne: We already gain permission to waive it since its still unbilled.
Eduardo Osborne: You will still see it in the next bill but you will see the credit as well.
Keith: oh man, thank you so much!
Keith: Will be sticking with you for years to come!
Eduardo Osborne: Welcome that is how we love and value you.
Eduardo Osborne: Cool!
Keith: have a great day!

fongyuen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I was only able to get them to waive/credit 2 out of the 4 lines that our family upgraded to the 6. Better than nothing I guess.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
It's really annoying that the policy on upgrade fees is at the sole discretion of the rep that you contact. They should have a set policy and stick with it. What is the criteria why some people get their fees waived and others do not? I agree the whole concept of an upgrade fee is lame in that it doesnt cost them anything when i switch my phone other than to register a new ESN/SIM. Pretty sure all the "paperwork" is all electronic and automated anyway. Or does it require someone at AT&T to actually do some manual work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.