Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
By issuing such blank credits, AT&T basically tells their customer: your inconvenience only worth $5, no Matter how you are being impacted during the downtime. As for the claim of “hurting their bottom line”, come on, give me a break of that. They can easily recoup that amount Of “loss” in no time from customer base.

You don't "recoup" money you spend. It's spent. It's gone.

You may make more revenue, but that revenue covers your other operating costs.

The only way you will "recoup" the money you credited to people, is if you ask for the credit back.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
I pay about $230/month for 6 lines of unlimited w/tethering. This works out to $7.67 per day so the $30 credit is the equivalent of 4 days of service. I never even noticed there was an issue until someone told me. Victory is mine!

I don’t care about getting the credit as failures do occur and the phone companies run massive networks. Lessons learned from are the result and will improve service. It was good for AT&T to grant the credit. It’s also good for the customers of T-Mobile, Verizon and others as they will benefit if/when they have substantial issues or failures.the credit is now the standard. I’m sure the CEO’s of the other companies were initially thinking this would help them convert some customers. That hope disappeared when the credit was announced. They now are cringing knowing they are on the hook when they have issues.
my guy, can I like, borrow your rose-colored glasses? I’m legitimately jealous of what a non-cynical outlook on life you have…this outage will change absolutely nothing, these companies have nothing to learn as long as their revenue source continues to come pouring in (which it always inevitably will because having phone/Internet access is considered a necessity in 2024).
also, given that you commented directly after this saying that you won’t be contacting AT&T for extra money, where are you getting that $30 figure from? they were pretty clear about it being $5 per account—not per line—in the email they sent out.

btw…Verizon and Tmo both had outages too ;)

bakerzdosen

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Personally, I cannot imagine being the engineer with "fingers on keyboard" that got the routing (BGP) wrong and caused all this... (assuming the same person wrote it as implemented it - although that's not a guarantee by any means.)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You don't "recoup" money you spend. It's spent. It's gone.

You may make more revenue, but that revenue covers your other operating costs.

The only way you will "recoup" the money you credited to people, is if you ask for the credit back.
Ok but my point is those ”losses” on giving $5 credits to affected customers are nothing for AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.