Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franko v

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Arizona
That is cool to hear! But unfortunately since Sprint is the one buying Tmobile they will probably turn it into a useless CDMA network so you like most Tmobile users will be out of luck. Of course this will not happen overnight, it will take years. GSM networks lead the World, would be a nice idea if the Sprint Spectrum was instead used to enhance Tmobile's GSM network.

-Mike

----------

More than likely the second scenario you presented would occur. Sprint would purchase T-Mobile because T-Mobile already has an established GSM network...

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
“This is a desperate move by AT&T on the heels of what must have been a terrible Q4 and holiday for them,” Legere said in an email to Re/code. “Consumers won’t be fooled. … Nothing has changed, customers will still feel the same old pain that AT&T is famous for. Just wait until CES to hear what pain points we are eliminating next. The competition is going to be toast!”

“We used AT&T’s cash to build a far superior network and added ‘un-carrier’ moves to take tons of their customers – and now they want to bribe them back,” Legere said. “I’m flattered that we have made them so uncomfortable!”

1) eliminate contracts
2) separate cost of phone from cost of wireless
3) free roaming internationally
4) 200MB LTE free for tablets
5) ????

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

Each line will have unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of LTE and unlimited 2G

1st line: $50
2nd line: $30
3rd line: $10
4th line: $10
5th line: $10

+ $10 to any line to upgrade to 2.5GB of LTE data
+ $20 to any line to upgrade to unlimited LTE data

That's $110 for 5 lines or $22 per line.

Last edited:

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Nice. I'm never going to buy from T-Mobile, but this means better deals for AT&T customers.

----------

Each line will have unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of LTE and unlimited 2G

1st line: $50
2nd line: $30
3rd line: $10
4th line: $10
5th line: $10

+ $10 to any line to upgrade to 2.5GB of LTE data
+ $20 to any line to upgrade to unlimited LTE data

That's $110 for 5 lines or $22 per line.

It'll happen on AT&T too. Either that or AT&T dies.

----------

gready ass bastards, even with my unlimited data they would throttle.

Luckily im not with them anymore.

Good, you were slowing down our network.

----------

Overhyping or not, you do realize this is more than enough for browsing, checking emails, blogging, update your Facebook status or researching which is what the majority of the average consumer does right?

No it's not. I have always been very careful at my data usage, preventing myself from doing things I'd normally do (like watching YouTube), and I still hit my 200MB plan limit or got close to it a few times. Images, videos, and stupid Microsoft Exchange chew it up.

Actually, it was at 99% usage, and they said it would reset the next day. So the next day, I went to load a webpage, and I got a message from AT&T saying that I went over my limit. WTF?!

----------

+1000000

Att is just a dumb pipe being ran by dumb down management, just not going to cut it in 2014

Are you placing any money on that bet? It would be a bold move going against all those other investors. FYI, if you care to check the prices: https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:T

(Disclaimer: I am by no means an AT&T fan. I just like them slightly better than the other nasty phone companies, especially because their coverage is great where I live.)

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I can't really stand AT&T or Verizon. Not that Sprint is any better.. But at least T-Mo is keeping AT&T & Vzn on their toes.

I know whatever T-Mo announces next week, it shakes everything up.

I'll have to stick to Vzn in the mean time, had to pay all that $$ to keep unlimited.. Might as well use it!

StvEvans

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Holy crap! Idk if I should switch from T-Mobile to AT&T then! If they're offering up to $450, I don't see why not? Because Tmobile sucks, like no joke. I've been with Tmobile for 6yrs now and they're just like sprint. Their LTE coverage is so spotty. I live in DFW, Texas and I get 1 bar of 4G signal in my house. Not even in my yard does it increase. But a block away I have all 5 bars of LTE. It pisses me off. I've complained so many times, they finally sent me an in home tower to amplify my signal. But I only get 4-5bars of 4G still. If I have an LTE iPhone, I want it to work at LTE speeds. I've witnessed with the Speedtest app AT&T's LTE speeds go up to 65mbps and Tmobile only goes up to 35mbps in my area.
But then again, I don't like the family shared plans AT&T offers. I'm the only one on my line. On the plus side, with Tmobile I do have an unlimited data plan. And I use about 15-20GB of data a month. BUT I just recently got wifi at home.
Idk what to do!!!!! XC

mattwallace24

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
That is cool to hear! But unfortunately since Sprint is the one buying Tmobile they will probably turn it into a useless CDMA network so you like most Tmobile users will be out of luck. Of course this will not happen overnight, it will take years. GSM networks lead the World, would be a nice idea if the Sprint Spectrum was instead used to enhance Tmobile's GSM network.

-Mike

----------

More than likely the second scenario you presented would occur. Sprint would purchase T-Mobile because T-Mobile already has an established GSM network...

If regulatory restrictions are similar for this acquisition as others in the industry, the combined Sprint/T-Mobile would be required to run both networks for several years. I've yet to see an acquisition where a wireless company was allowed to quickly turn-down one of their networks. That is why acquisitions between companies with different wireless technologies have been difficult (think Sprint/Nextel). The "new" Sprint could certainly try and lure customers to switch from one technology to another through handset incentives, but they'll probably be required to maintain both networks for at least 2+ years. In the long-term (5-10 years), this won't matter as hopefully we'll all be on LTE or a future technology, but in the near term it leads to significantly higher network costs.

Tallen00001

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2014
AT&T knows how to recup costs

$ 450 is a drop in the bucket when AT&T gives you a bill for $ 1000 and they will. AT&T knows exactly how to steal money from their customers and they do. You'll be the one who loses if you change to AT&T as they charge significantly then T-Mobile. DON'T DO IT.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
$ 450 is a drop in the bucket when AT&T gives you a bill for $ 1000 and they will. AT&T knows exactly how to steal money from their customers and they do. You'll be the one who loses if you change to AT&T as they charge significantly then T-Mobile. DON'T DO IT.

Nonsense. You'll get billed according to your plan and all of the tacked on fees just like you do at any carrier. No one mysteriously adds hundreds of dollars to customers bills.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

$1000? BS

They bill you according to what you use.

My AT&T account is over 14 years old (ATTWS -> Cingular -> ATT Mobility) and only once have I had a billing error. That was corrected ASAP and I got an extra $150 credit for their mistake.

I called in the Fall and talked to detentions about switching to TMobile. They gave me family messaging ($20) free for 24 months.

I've been upgrading my devices yearly by getting early upgrades.

Which other carrier bends over backwards to keep you as a customer? No one.

Last edited:

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland

This is quite unlikely since Sprint is now owned by Softbank Japan (which is a UMTS operator just like Tmobile). There's no reason for Softbank to convert Tmobile's network into CDMA if it's not compatible with their own network in Japan. It's easier to just support both networks at the moment, release new phones with a chipset that can handle GSM, UMTS, CDMA and LTE and focus on improving their LTE networks.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Well, it is cheaper for one thing. No commitment required. No phone locking. You can swap compatible SIMs and phones.

I call it "freedom".

What a bunch of BS. All T-Mobile phones are locked, until you pay it off. Pay it all and they'll unlock it. Or pay the full price at once. Exactly like AT&T.

AT&T users have been swapping SIMs into phones for over a decade. Far more than T-Mobile. In fact, T-Mobile still requires specific phones to work on their network, which HSPA AWS support. AT&T's bands make it much easier to bring any unlocked phone onto their network. You make it seem like swapping SIMs and phones is some new revelation that Legere came up with.

Even VZW users have been swapping SIMs for almost two years between their LTE phones. Spare me the BS the drama.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I would have switched to TMobile if the coverage was a bit better. I did get both my iPad Air and iPad mini setup with TMobile and when it works, it works well. But get spotty coverage sometimes.

The one change I really want from AT&T is to include personal hot spot in all their plans. I pay for 2gb of data, I should be able to use it however I want! In order for me to go from the single plan I have now (which isn't available any longer) to one that allows personal hot spot it would be an extra $40 a month!
We just did a major trip from Long Beach to Northern Utah, then down to the Grand Canyon, down to Phoenix, AZ, then back. My wife has T-Mobile and I have AT&T through work, to be honest, it was the fact that she had coverage that got us through the trip, as AT&T often didn't have anything. This happened A LOT.

So, really I see AT&T as the one with the lack of coverage.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
We just did a major trip from Long Beach to Northern Utah, then down to the Grand Canyon, down to Phoenix, AZ, then back. My wife has T-Mobile and I have AT&T through work, to be honest, it was the fact that she had coverage that got us through the trip, as AT&T often didn't have anything. This happened A LOT.

What I get sometimes is even though the single strength indicator is fine data just doesn't work - lots of time outs. This is from my iPad Air and iPad mini. Other times at the exact same location the speed is excellent. This is in Surprise AZ which is in the far west valley.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Might as well now since they are eventually going to be acquired by Sprint.

Would be amusing if that happened since I just left Sprint for T-Mobile, mainly to get a phone that would work when I'm in Europe without having to buy a separate sim.

----------

streaming YouTube and Netflix will obviously put you over the limit rather quickly, that's why I didn't even mention that, those are tasks that will require a full data plan or just use wifi. But a few hours of casual web browsing, specially doing it occasionally when wifi is not available will not get you anywhere near 200mb, stating otherwise is dishonest bs. Tmobile gave me a reason to own cellular ipad vs the wifi only. I get more internet coverage for free.

The base data plan is 500 mb. I checked my data usage history with Sprint over a year and my usage was well within that amount since most of the time I'm on wifi. You just need to truly access your needs. Besides, T-Mobile doesn't cut you completely off when you reach your plan limit, they just throttle the speed way down. If it happens to you a lot you know you need to up your plan.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
Not only is AT&T data faster in the entire SLC, UT Valley, but they honestly have more bars in more places than VZ in the SLC, UT Valley. I'm pissed I switched to VZ.

Both are rip-offs, but if I am going to be ripped off, I prefer to superior call/data coverage AT&T offers over VZ in my surrounding areas.

Sure, and many places (like Iowa/Nebraska/Wisconsin) you'll see the exact opposite, but at the end of the day VZW has the larger coverage footprint. I've never lost signal with VZW, but if I drive 20 minutes from my house, I'll lose AT&T service for hundreds of miles in all directions.

----------

Where exactly is that?

AT&T's LTE network dwarf's TMo's HSPA network in size.

T-Mobile barely has a network in VT, ME, WV, Nebraska, Utah, Montana, ND, SD, Wyoming, etc.

T-Mo is a joke compared to any of the other carriers, but I was referring to ATT vs. VZW. Last time I was in Nebraska with an ATT device, I was roaming on Edge and their coverage map suggests that this is still the case for most of the state.

I have no T-Mo service anywhere near my house (where IA/IL/WI all meet).

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
A lot of you people seem to have some really strange stockholm syndrome-esqe attachments to your cell providers o_O

Seriously, this is some creepy ****...

I wouldn't exactly call it Stockholm syndrome. I have an "attachment" to my cell provider (T-Mobile) precisely because they haven't kept me captive. Oh, and, they are cheaper, too. I still have grudges against AT&T and Verizon. Sprint was very good to me, also, in its time, but, not GSM and their coverage hasn't kept pace. I've only seen Stockholm syndrome with AT&T, because of the exclusive contract that Apple and AT&T once had to lock in people who really wanted the iPhone. The rest of us are only suffering from perfectly normal "confirmation bias". ;)

Anyway, I'm all for more competition. So, "yay!" I guess...

Ultimately, that is the point.

Agree. TMobile is great for people who travel frequently overseas....

Yes.

What a bunch of BS. All T-Mobile phones are locked, until you pay it off. Pay it all and they'll unlock it. Or pay the full price at once. Exactly like AT&T.

AT&T users have been swapping SIMs into phones for over a decade. Far more than T-Mobile. In fact, T-Mobile still requires specific phones to work on their network, which HSPA AWS support. AT&T's bands make it much easier to bring any unlocked phone onto their network. You make it seem like swapping SIMs and phones is some new revelation that Legere came up with.

Even VZW users have been swapping SIMs for almost two years between their LTE phones. Spare me the BS the drama.

"Drama?" What "drama"? You seem to remember things differently than I do. Where do you suppose all those hundreds of threads and tens of thousands of posts and websites and blog sites about cell phone unlocking came from during 2008-2010?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2010/02/23/what-is-unlocking/#disqus_thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1238987/

Before you jump on me about people who hadn't fulfilled their contracts, read some of the posts from people who had paid off their contracts and still were constantly getting the run-around.

In my case, by the time AT&T and Apple made it easier to get a fulfilled-contract phone unlocked, I decided to switch to T-Mobile and (mostly) Samsung. A T-Mobile dealer offered to unlock the iPhone for me at that point, since it was off-contract, but, in the meantime, the phone had enough physical problems requiring repair that I decided to abandon it. In 2010, it still made sense to buy higher-end phones on contract, but, it was a much better deal all around with unlimited voice, data, and messaging on multiple phones. In 2012, it made sense just to buy a new compatible phone. T-Mobile has been so easy for me to manage family phones with compared to AT&T. No "drama". Just my personal experience, which also corresponds to a lot of other folks experience. YMMV. Oh, and, in my neighborhood, T-Mobile has better coverage than AT&T and Sprint. At the moment I'm paying for 4 phones about what the service for one phone cost a few years ago.

And, if I needed better coverage and didn't mind going with a carrier I didn't like, I would go with Verizon, of course. (I had a Verizon phone through work. Coverage was the best, and, as far as I know, it still is.)

I would like like to buy an iPhone 5S for my next phone, because I like iOS better than Android, and, they finally got a decent combination of GSM/3G/LTE, but, the Apple unlocked price is higher than I want to pay. At least it is an option now.

;)

Finally, competition.

+1

Sure, and many places (like Iowa/Nebraska/Wisconsin) you'll see the exact opposite, but at the end of the day VZW has the larger coverage footprint. I've never lost signal with VZW, but if I drive 20 minutes from my house, I'll lose AT&T service for hundreds of miles in all directions.

T-Mo is a joke compared to any of the other carriers, but I was referring to ATT vs. VZW. Last time I was in Nebraska with an ATT device, I was roaming on Edge and their coverage map suggests that this is still the case for most of the state.

I have no T-Mo service anywhere near my house (where IA/IL/WI all meet).

AT&T has improved somewhat in my neighborhood, to the point where it is almost as good as T-Mobile. I'm not interested in Verizon and CDMA-accommodated-phones in general, but, their voice coverage certainly was better than anyone else, within the U.S., a few years ago.

I hope that all the carriers have the message now that (a lot of) customers want real competition, better service, and lower TCO.

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
While I'm not privy to the details of "Uncarrier 4.0," anyone who has access to a reliable T-Mobile LTE network would be hard pressed not to switch if reimbursed for the ETF.

This is one case where I think the FCC or DOJ made the right decision. Clearly, consumers are better off without allowing ATT to buy out T-Mobile.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
While I'm not privy to the details of "Uncarrier 4.0," anyone who has access to a reliable T-Mobile LTE network would be hard pressed not to switch if reimbursed for the ETF.

This is one case where I think the FCC or DOJ made the right decision. Clearly, consumers are better off without allowing ATT to buy out T-Mobile.
Thats a great point! Hopefully Softbank won't buy them and stop the competition that T-Mobile is bring to the wireless industry. This is good for consumers…….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.