AT&T in 'Advanced Talks' to Acquire CNN and HBO Parent Company Time Warner [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 21, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    AT&T is in "advanced talks" to acquire media company Time Warner, and a deal could be finalized as early as this weekend, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Bloomberg on Thursday said senior executives at AT&T and Time Warner met in recent weeks to discuss a possible merger, but it said the talks were informal at that stage.
    Time Warner CEO Jeffrey Bewkes has previously told investors he would entertain a sale of the media company, but only if it feels the price is right. In 2014, Bewkes and his board reportedly turned down an $85-a-share offer from 21st Century Fox, which valued Time Warner at more than $75 billion.

AT&T, looking to add more content and original programming, would gain a number of valuable assets from Time Warner, including CNN, HBO, TBS, TNT, NBA basketball, Cartoon Network and the Warner Bros. film and TV studio. Popular series airing on those networks include, among others, Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley.

New York Post sources said Apple was a possible suitor to purchase Time Warner earlier this year, which Financial Times later said was an idea proposed by Apple's services chief Eddy Cue. The discussions reportedly never progressed beyond the preliminary stage, however, and did not involve Apple CEO Tim Cook or Bewkes.

An acquisition would have provided Apple with content for its much-rumored streaming TV service, which it has reportedly placed on hold due to difficulties in negotiating deals. It was reported the Netflix-like service would have offered a skinny bundle of channels, including ABC, CBS, and FOX, as part of a monthly subscription.

An AT&T-Time Warner acquisition would likely be closely examined by federal regulators.

Update: AT&T has officially purchased Time Warner for $85.4 billion.

Article Link: AT&T in 'Advanced Talks' to Acquire CNN and HBO Parent Company Time Warner [Updated]

2. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

3. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Companies are becoming too big and get more power than complete countries. Not a good thing for the citizens of this world.

4. Jamers99 macrumors regular

Jamers99

So this explains the huge effin price drop on T stock today.

5. theheadguy macrumors 65816

Look at how regulations are positively stifling all of these business! They're losing money left and right! /s

6. nunes013, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016

nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

That escalated quickly. From informal to maybe this weekend in less than a day...

7. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

8. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Apple should put a stop to this, by buying Time Warner. Lets go Apple, are you serious about the Apple TV or not?

9. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Could you imagine if you could just get TV through Apple and it was all over a data network? Ugh... One can dream.

10. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

11. yanksfan114 macrumors 6502

In 5 years there's only going to be one company for every service you could ever need

12. Amnak macrumors 6502

I wish Apple would've taken TW, or just HBO puts them in a premium streaming service that has better IP then Netflix. Apple could grow HBO.

13. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

FWIW, it sounds like they're trying to buy Time Warner, not Time Warner Cable, which is actually a totally separate company (ridiculous, i know).

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

If ATT sold off their wireless division to Apple, id be quite happy.

15. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

nO WAY ! they'll start doing all sorts of things to control the content.

16. bondsbw macrumors member

I think that's where things are going (Apple or not). AT&T is already building the internet-only DirecTV Now, and others are similarly showing signs of enlightenment.

I love this... I think more competition will come out of it. Apple can't realistically build up the infrastructure to fully compete with cable, but it certainly could build up a streaming service that doesn't have to compete with cable.

17. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Indeed. Weyland-Yutani is right around the corner.

Capture.JPG

18. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

"We make better worlds" hahaha

19. SamuraiArtGuy macrumors regular

SamuraiArtGuy

This is a bad bad bad idea. Even further media consolidation. We are already noticing how horrible it is for Network Neutrality when network connectivity and content producers are the same company, an inherent and clear conflict of interest. Yeah, looking at YOU, Comcast.

We are already at the point where 90% of all mainstream U.S. media is owned by 6 mega corporations. Anyone up for FIVE?

"One Corp to own them all, and in exclusive contracts bind them..."

20. pike908 macrumors member

I will be curious to see how the Feds would view such a deal. I am sure it would have been no problem if T hadn't purchased Direct TV.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

They're not buying the cable company so why would having DirecTV matter? Still I get the feeling this will never be approved by regulatory agencies. Should the people that provide you your data also own the content you watch? I'm not so sure.

22. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Time Warner cable is owned by Charter and is being renamed Spectrum. This Time Warner is more like Disney not Directv.

23. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

The two companies with the hair-raisingly WORST customer service I have ever experienced. And the ONLY two choices for broadband in my city.

Great.

24. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

They can have CNN for free for all I care...HBO on the other hand, hands off!

25. jujufreeze macrumors 6502a