AT&T iPhone 4S unlock.. is it possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by njgroovy, Oct 24, 2011.

1. njgroovy macrumors newbie

It seems like Verizon and Sprint will allow their customers to legally unlock their iPhone 4S after they are verified as a customer in good standing. Does anyone know if ATT will allow such a thing?

2. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

If Tim Cook or Ralph says Yes!

or the US govt says Yes!

3. njgroovy thread starter macrumors newbie

I wonder if it's even legal that ATT won't unlock your phone after your contract is up when you've ended paying every single cent it cost...

4. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

5. njgroovy thread starter macrumors newbie

ATT routinely unlocks other phones.. just not the iPhone. I wonder why the iPhone is different. When they had exclusivity I could see why, but now that they don't have it.. why do it?

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Bingo. I tried participating in a thread on the ATT forums on this topic, but the fanboys are a tad rabid on there so I never got anywhere.

Things have changed. They don't have exclusivity any more.

7. borisiii macrumors 6502

My network in the UK, O2, unlocks iPhones for free since they don't care what you do with the phone so long as you honour your contract.

To put in an unlock request, there is a form on their website. The interesting thing is I have heard of people on AT&T and other networks having their phones successfully unlocked using this form. It seems they don't check the phone is locked to O2 - they just send the IMEI to Apple and it gets unlocked.

If it works, after around a week or two, when you sync your phone over USB a message will be displayed saying your iPhone is unlocked. Then you have a legit, factory unlocked iPhone with no need to JB.

Here is the link:
    https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset Unlocking Form

Just enter Pay Monthly, Apple iPhone, and then a UK mobile number, e.g. 07960XXXXXX. It doesn't seem to matter what answers you give for the security questions - they don't seem to check, although if you want an example of some real answers, give a last bill date of earlier this month with an amount of £35 on tariff iPhone 35 (18 month).

8. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

Law makers can help on this case, their nose is on so many unnecessary things, this is good thing to do!

at least after fulfilling say 6 or FULL (24) months contract.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

They have not changed enough yet, AT&T is still the exclusive GSM carrier in the USA so they still don't have to unlock the iPhone. :mad:

Dave

10. crashdebris macrumors newbie

Now that the 4S is the same across US carriers, I don't see how AT&T can maintain their past unwillingness to unlock. I was in AT&T's site today and saw an unlock SIM button on my profile. I have no reason (at this time) to unlock so I didn't mess with it, but maybe someone else will.

11. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

next year

iPhone 4S from Verizon/Sprint will have more resale value than ATT iPhone 4S because of this locked to ATT

12. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Really? I checked mine but couldn't see it. How long have you been an AT&T subscriber? Do you currently have an iPhone with them?

13. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

picture or did not happen.

i do not see that option i am with ATT at least for 3 years now and two iPhone 4

are you seeing that option under iPhone or some other phone ?

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

has anyone actually tried calling them and asking about unlocking their 4S?

15. nanotlj macrumors regular

Can we file a class action suite against ATT or Apple about iPhones still being locked even after honoring the contract?
    Why US mobile industry is so ****ing different from other countries?

16. njgroovy thread starter macrumors newbie

What needs to be unlocked is the phone, not the SIM.

----------

How can this possibly work? They ask for phone number there. Should I put my USA phone number if I wanted to try?

17. rosemary1 macrumors regular

Has anyone in the US tried this?

18. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just tried. I had a UK number and used 2 other UK numbers. Let's see what happens.

19. njgroovy thread starter macrumors newbie

Please, let us know of the results

20. winterny macrumors 6502

I have, and after some escalation -- I explained that Verizon is unlocking, and while the policy may have made some sense when att had an exclusive, it makes no sense now. They reiterated that it was a decision made by corporate and that they were powerless to do anything -- I asked if the could escalate the question to corporate, and give me a call back with an answer -- and they promised to do so. I suggest you do the same, and maybe they will get the hint.

21. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Definitely

22. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

well, since the GSM is what's unlocked on the verizon iPhone it's getting rather moot.

23. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

just got this email from them:

24. nitemare macrumors regular

what that button is for is if your phone starts asking for the PUK code