Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AT&T/Cingular sent out a simple confirmation email to users who signed up for the mailing list. No new information is provided.

The email links to http://www.att.com/iphone which lists the usual features:

• Fully functional touch screen iPod which syncs with iTunes
• AT&T wireless service and all the benefits of network reliability, Rollover® minutes, and more
• Visual Voicemail: a first on any mobile phone available in the United States
• 2MP camera
• Unique internet browsing capabilities
• Choose from 4GB ($499) or 8GB ($599) memory models
• EDGE, GPRS, GSM Quad-band, and WiFi capable
• Works with Windows PCs and Macs

studiomusic

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2004
Round the world
Got it, but the images wouldn't load... there must be a TON of people that signed up for these emails... and they are all reading them at the same time!

Comment

kcroy

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Ohio
Actually there are a couple of interesting things to point out...

This is our first picture with the ATT logo on the iphone.

Also, this photo is of the highest resolution of any photo yet of the much anticipated iPhone.

Withe the email message alerts and phone call alerts, change in Cingular to ATT logo, and higher resolution, this is indeed a NEW photo of the iphone.

Not boring at all. Can't wait to see more pics.

Confirmed it will now carry the ATT logo not Cingualar.

Should be moved to Page 1 rumor.

Question: at the bottom of the bottom of the page it says you can unsubscribe from Cingular at any time. Do you have to pay a cancellation fee like in other contracts?

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's pretty cool that you can control it "using only your fingers." My Moto phone requires a lot of knee-based control, and sometimes the small of my back.

Also, this photo is of the highest resolution of any photo yet of the much anticipated iPhone.

Actually, http://apple.com/pr has very high-res photos of all Apple products, including 2 of the iphone.

PS, I liked the iPhone on LOST this week. It even had the Apple Stocks and Weather widgets! :)

Comment

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
confused

It seems to me this is the first at$t communication with the price (the web page, not the email), but maybe I just never noticed it on their 'email signup' page in the past, and they also never had the disclaimer about being approved by the FCC etc.

I may be looking for something in nothing, but - the implication to me is that it got some sort of 'approval' and thus at$t now can start pushing it...

edit - Yeah - I am just dumb, I got one of these back in February on my old email address and it is the same message; though it included the wording 'availability of the new iPhone for purchase online. and the one that came today does not say 'online'...

edit 2 - are the data plans 'smartphone connect plan' 19.95/mo unlimited new? I don't think they had that for the 2 weeks I had my treo.

Comment

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland

Well, here are some high-resolution pictures of Apple products, including iPhone (scroll down to "Macworld 2007 in San Francisco" section). Found the page few months ago from Google Images.

Edit: Broken link.

Comment

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
Old Message 2/7/2007

Okay - rather than editing my prior post - the first email I got from cingular in February also referred to the '3.5-inch multi-touch display' and the new one says 'Wide-screen multi-touch display' ...

Here is the text from that one:
Thank you for registering at Cingular.com

You will be among the first to receive updates, exclusive offers, and availability of the new iPhone for purchase online.

Available in June, the iPhone features:
Visual voicemail, an industry first, lets you access
messages individually
3.5-inch multi-touch display allows you to control iPod
and phone functions using only your fingers
Quad-band GSM and supports Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0

Stay tuned–more exciting details to follow in the coming months!

Comment

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Anyone else notice that the interface is more "graphite" than blue now? It used to be a "blue-ish" graphite, now it is less saturated.

Comment

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
yes

Stupid question but what is visual voicemail? You see buttons of each individual call/message to listen to on the screen?

Yeah it displays a list so that you can skip all the messages from Britney and go directly to Fergie's message... (or insert your own random celebrities, friends, relatives who you may or may not care why they called...)

Comment

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
Hey... was the last bit of this paragraph:

"Breakthrough Internet Device
iPhone features a rich HTML email client and Safari - the most advanced web browser ever on a portable device - which automatically syncs bookmarks from your PC or Mac. Safari also includes built-in Google and Yahoo! search. iPhone is fully multi-tasking, so you can read a web page while downloading your email in the background over Wi-Fi or EDGE.
"

ever mentioned before?

I mean, that seems like it'd be a big deal to be able to use wi-fi instead of your plan minutes or data bits, right?

...and, it makes me wonder if it'd be somehow possible to use it as a VOIP phone with the wi-fi capability - whether officially supported or not, that'd be nice.

As municipal wi-fi becomes more widespread, in fact, I'd be more likely to buy into the iPhone. Just pay Vonage (or Apple???) for VOIP every month and use the city's wi-fi (or starbucks' or your neighbors' or whatever) while out and my own at home. The iPhone is feature rich enough that I'd have no problem with that as my sole com device.

So long cingular contracts, being limitied to this continent or that, etc; hello me as a more likely customer.

Comment

photogenx

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2007
Pre-orders?????

I went to a Cingular store in my area and asked about pre-orders, expecting to be told basically nothing but instead the answer shocked me!! He said they were doing pre-orders at select stores. He also said that his store had to stop the pre-orders because the exceeded the amount allowed. Due to the fact that I didn't hear anything about any pre-orders I was pissed, especially since I signed up on their "iphone updates" via email. Has anyone been told this? I assumed that since it was Apple's product they would never consider any pre-orders. Guess I was really wrong.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
... so you can read a web page while downloading your email in the background over Wi-Fi or EDGE.[/I]"

ever mentioned before?

I mean, that seems like it'd be a big deal to be able to use wi-fi instead of your plan minutes or data bits, right?

...and, it makes me wonder if it'd be somehow possible to use it as a VOIP phone with the wi-fi capability - whether officially supported or not, that'd be nice.

That feature was mentioned by Steve at the intro, and WiFi is one great feature that really distinguishes iPhone from (most) other phones/smartphones.

I'm hoping to buy a voice plan and NOT a data plan, but still be able to check my mail at hotspots.

As for VOIP, it would require an app to be specially compiled for the iPhone and installed on it, and that seems unlikely unless Apple does so officially. And THAT seems unlikely since it would bother AT&T.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.