AT&T is...... AMAZING!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maclver, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

OK, as many of you are as well as me stuck in that contract with the iPhone 3G and can't get the $199 pricing on the iPhone 3G . Well I went to my local AT&T store and talked with a sales associate and flat out told him " I want the iPhone 3G and I want to buy it on the 19th of June. He said ok lets look at your contract, well according to our system you can't get $199 pricing until July 12th.. but there is something we can do. We submit a request to get you subsidized contract pricing since you are within a month of your contract hitting one year.. OK so three hours later I get a call saying I have been APPROVED. So i just we to my AT&T store and pre-ordered 2 iPhone 3G !!!!!! Im just amazed that AT&T was able to let me in on that option and approve me!

One satisfied customer!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That is way great! Enjoy your two new wonderful phones! :D

3. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

But wait...

You had to leave your house?
    And speak with a human being? Face-to-face? With no anonymity to hide behind?
    The horror!!!!!!!

All kidding aside, congratulations, and I'm glad to hear it worked out for you!

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Nice post, but unfortunately your solution requires effort on the part of people wanting to get the lower price. Please play again. :)

Seriously though, this is how you're supposed to do things. Find out what you can get through your own actions, not some Twitter petition.

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

They really have a lot more power than what they will let on.

I once went in to a store with my wife.

She was due an upgrade and I wasn't.

Long story short.

Be both got subsidized phones that day.

They can over ride your upgrade date any time they want. They have so many they can just do per year and usually save them for long standing customers or customers buying multiple phones, etc.

The fact that you were only a month out was a good thing.

They probably didn't think it was worth aggravating you for for just one month difference.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

It pays to talk to ATT rather than whine on the forums.:eek:

7. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

I agree..I saw all the post about the petitions online and I just sat there and laughed because at&t is not gonna do crap about that

Oh ya I asked the sales guy how many pre-orders they had and he pulled out all these receipts and it was a huge stack and he said so far they have had over 100 pre-orders!

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

ATT should make everyone wait. Why? You'll want it more.

9. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

im very impatient!

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I pre-ordered mine on Tuesday and the AT&T guy said "Come back on the 19th to pick it up."

My coworker went to the same store on Friday and they said "We'll call you when it comes in. It'll be within 3 weeks after the launch day."

Needless to say, I think the folks saying "It's a small upgrade, nobody cares" will be proven quite wrong! :D

11. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

Ya I was told to be there before 7 and wait in the Preorder line!

12. joro macrumors 68020

joro

whaaa? Or better yet how about instead of complaining about the price, you don't buy it? Leaves more for the rest of us ;)

13. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I find one flaw in your story...it took effort. I want things handed to me without work...you can't expect to actually work for something myself.;)

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Hmm lets see

one can waste a day crying and making petitions on twitter or making tons of threads on the forums demanding your rights. (I Signed a two Year contract but I want Iphone now) and cry about it all day. or One can man up or Lady up and go too a store and see if they can work something out with a salesperson notice I said Salesperson means to sell something. they want to cell you a cell phone makes them money too. :rolleyes: Congrats dude you and I will be playing with are new phones next friday and these guys will still be crying. ;)

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow... first nice thing I've heard about AT&T all week.

16. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. Trying this tomorrow, I am in the same position as you are (but without iPhone), and my dad's had our family's service with AT&T since 1992. Crossing my fingers! Worst comes to worst, I have to pay the $499 somewhat subsidized price, or my mom lets me use her upgrade so I only have to pay $299. I'm content with either.

17. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Its great to hear this.

The same thing happened to me in April. My wife's old blackjack made its way into a toilet and was done for. She had an unlimited data and text plan on her account and was not eligible for "full upgrade" until late june, 2009. She really wanted an iphone to replace her blackjack. We went into a local ATT corp store and spoke with a sales associate that we have done business with in the past. This same associate had gotten us upgraded at subsidized prices early before. In this case, he couldn't approve it on his own or with the help of the stores manager because it was an iphone that we wanted and recited some contract with Apple that doesn't allow it. He also said he need to get approval from some district manager or someone much higher up. He called us the next day saying since we were within a few month of her upgrade date and had been long standing customers that he got the iphone approval. This was for an 8gb 3g and not the new 3gs. My wife was ok with just getting an "old" 3g and didn't want to wait for the new equipment. We went out that same day and picked it up at the fully subsidized price almost 2 full months before her line was "eligible".

My line becomes eligible on Sept 19th. I will be trying my iphone luck with the same sales associate in mid July for the new 3Gs.

I have been extremely happy with my ATT service for years now. A few dropped calls here and there, but overall, its been a great experience.

18. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

Ya I dont understand why so many people hate att I have had them for several years and I have always been satisfied.

19. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

Im gonna go do this too haha.Im in the same boat that you were in

20. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I read this thread at work today and stopped at AT&T on the way home. The customer service rep checked my account and said I'm not eligible for the full subsidy until December. I asked him if they would waive that date and he asked his manager. They would have no part of it.

I fully understand the contract issue, but as someone who has been an Apple consumer for over a decade it's a new experience not to be able to upgrade for a reasonable cost. For me what this means is I'll most likely skip this generation of IPhone all together. I think many people will because if I wait until December I'm six months away from the fourth generation IPhone.....so I'll skip this one (as painful as it is), and see what comes along in the future. Somehow I think Apple and AT&T would be better off to provide upgrade assurance for these phones as some other providers do. Either way, I still like my 3G, so I won't be suffering....just was hoping for the newer model, spur on the economy. :)

21. rugox macrumors regular

This guy is lying. Don't trust him. He is just trying to stir something up. So many people here bought the 3G last July so most of them are one month away from the eligible July date for upgrading. If what this guy has said is true, why all the complaints and flaming. If what this guy said is true, why doesn't AT&T just approve everyone for the upgrade. Damn lying lunatic.

22. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I honestly wish there was a "comment of the week award" !!

23. Maclver thread starter macrumors 68020

Maclver

Why are you saying im lying? thats kind of rude?

heres my proof....
    [​IMG]

notice the date July 12th!

but look at the receipt... iPhone 3Gs 199.99!
    [​IMG]

and like i said the reason i qualify is because i am less than 30 days from the half way point of my contract!

24. Ashad11 macrumors newbie

I just tried this.. my update date is also july 12th.. and he said i couldn't do anything.. so I said that I was told that if your contract renewal is less than a month then you can upgrade..

and he said that was true but you can only do it with any phone except for the iphone and that there is also a $75 fee...

that is probably how it is just talking to salespeople.. if you can find a nice person that can 'apply' for you (to a district manager or whoever?) maybe you can get it.. i bet this will be rare though

25. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

How do you figure one month away? That would be 11 months out of 18. Its a little different. If it were 17 months then maybe. I am in the same prediciment and it has nothing to do with AT&T. All cell providers do that, AT&T and Verizon are 18 months and Sprint is 1 year on Premiere accounts and 2 years on regular.