Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
My mom wants to get an iPhone to replace her old sony ericsson. She has no use for the "internet" and really likes the iPhone. AT&T told me that she must have a data plan in order to use the iPhone which I think is stupid. Not everyone wants or needs the internet on their phones. So I'm thinking about finding a used iPhone for sale off craiglist. Would it be possible to buy one and take out her simcard which has just a voice plan and use that on the iPhone or will AT&T find out and automatically tackle on the iPhone data plan?

Anyone who knows anything about this please let me know. Thanks!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
or will AT&T find out and automatically tackle on the iPhone data plan?

After sending you a few friendly text messages/emails, if you don't comply and add a data plan to your account, they will do it automatically.

If you want an iPhone without a data plan, I recommend getting an iPod touch.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
..... So I'm thinking about finding a used iPhone for sale off craiglist. Would it be possible to buy one and take out her simcard which has just a voice plan and use that on the iPhone or will AT&T find out and automatically tackle on the iPhone data plan?

Anyone who knows anything about this please let me know. Thanks!
Your plan will not work and it is not an issue of legal or not. Yes, AT&T will find out. Everytime your GSM device connects to the AT&T network, it reports the IMEI of the device. The IMEI identifies if it is an iPhone or other device.

It does not matter where you get the iPhone, if you want to use anything laster then the original iPhone (non-3G), AT&T requires a data plan. As indicated above, you may receive a few admin SMS Txt messages first but they will add an iPhone data plan.

Your only option would be to move your mom to prepaid. Right now that's the only way to use an iPhone 3G/3GS/4 with AT&T.

Dave

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This has nothing to do with legal or not. It's more of Terms of Service. The terms say that if AT&T finds you are using an iPhone on their network, you will get attached to that line the appropriate data plan (in this case the $15/month plan).

Plain and simple.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Only way you might be able to avoid it is if you were able to change your MAC address... as far as i'm aware there's no app (jailbroken or otherwise) that lets you do that easily.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
You'd have to change the IMEI, which is possible, BUT that's highly illegal.

And that's not really possible on the iPhone 3G or higher.
So no OP, most likely AT&T will add a data plan. Your mom might find the internet useful though, so it could be worth it.

victorvu

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
Can anyone please enlighten me how exactly AT&T can detect an iPhone without data plan when it connects to their network? your phone sends its IMEI? then what? what else does it know about the phone in order to identify whether it has data plan? what if you turn off your 3g and data cellular on your phone? :rolleyes:

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Can anyone please enlighten me how exactly AT&T can detect an iPhone without data plan when it connects to their network? your phone sends its IMEI? then what? what else does it know about the phone in order to identify whether it has data plan?

Whenever your iPhone connects to ATT's network, ATT does an IMEI check to verify that you have a data plan. The way it does that is it first checks to see if you have an iPhone (by decoding the IMEI). Then it looks on your account to see if you have a data plan or not.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Can anyone please enlighten me how exactly AT&T can detect an iPhone without data plan when it connects....
Step 1: Everytime your iPhone or any GSM device connects to the AT&T network, it reports the IMEI of the device. The IMEI identifies if it is an iPhone or other device. Turning off 3G and data just prevents you from being billed on a per usage basis.

Step 2: It does not matter where you get the iPhone, if you want to use anything later then the original iPhone (non-3G). the network is swept and if an iPhone is detected on your line, you may get an admin SMS Txt or email depending on your AT&T contact preferences. Then you get the automatic addition of a valid iPhone Data plan if you are using an iPhone 3G or above. :eek:

Again, currently the only way around this if you want to use AT&T would be on a prepaid plan.

Dave

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
The law isn't the something as the terms of service.

AT&T won't let anyone have an iPhone without a data plan.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
All phones transmit there unique identifier number. The AT&T computers can tell if it's a smartphone. It doesn't matter what brand. All smartphones must have a data plan linked to them. It's all automated. The computer checks your account & if no data plan appears, you are assigned and charged for one. There's no cheating the system.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
The law isn't the something as the terms of service.

AT&T won't let anyone have an iPhone without a data plan.
Not exactly. As I indicated above, many customers are using iPhones with AT&T Prepaid service without a data plan and AT&T is not adding a data plan for Prepaid service.

Dave

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Not exactly. As I indicated above, many customers are using iPhones with AT&T Prepaid service without a data plan and AT&T is not adding a data plan for Prepaid service.

Dave

Yes, on Prepaid its fine.
If you're using it on a post paid monthly plan then they will add it automaticly.
This topic has been beaten to death for years now OP.
Do a few searches.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
OP, I talked to AT&T about getting my data plan off because I won't be in the US for a year and the only way to do it is to give them an IMEI number of a dumbphone for them to take it off, which I luckily had a razor.

Like the previous poster, if you take data off and use your iPhone again, they'll auto re-add data.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I want to give my dad an iPhone 2g to use, he doesn't need data. Whet are the steps so that a data plan isn't added when he uses it?

certsoft

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
John Day, OR
I have an Iphone 4 in my country on which Data is billed on a pay as you use basis :)

I wish T-Mobile here in the states did that for their prepaid service. It's nice when I'm visiting New Zealand because the Vodafone prepaid plan allows for "casual" data usage without any hassle or having to pre-arrange any stupid "passes". It's NZ$1 for up to 10MB for any day you use it.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I want to give my dad an iPhone 2g to use, he doesn't need data. Whet are the steps so that a data plan isn't added when he uses it?

The updated software used by AT&T is now able to detect every brand & model of smartphone including older iPhones. There's no where to hide.

If you dont mind paying a lot for airtime you can use pre-paid. Most people don't do the math.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I've read on MR that you might be able to get away with no data on the original. However, you should search the forums for more information.

Finz151

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
I would say it's worth a try; I've been using my iPhone 3g and 4 on AT&T, data plan free, for the past two years. No problems here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.