Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
http://hothardware.com/News/Will-ATT-Lose-Their-iPhone-Exclusivity-On-Wednesday/

According to an inside source close to the going-ons involved in all of this, a new tablet of some sort may not be the only thing on deck for next Wednesday though. We have been led to believe by an inside source that AT&T will lose their iPhone exclusivity on the same day, though it's not yet clear what other carrier (or carriers) will be stepping in to also carry the phone.

Hmm, obviously this article is just another "rumor" article, but aren't Apple events usually on Tuesdays while this one is on a Wednesday? In fact, before the official announcement, most people expected the event to be on Jan 26th. So could this possibly mean that Apple has positioned the event to coincide with the expiration of their AT&T exclusivity contract?

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No one knows how long the original iPhone and post iPhone 3G contracts were. And I mean no one outside Apple HQ and AT&T HQ. Everyone is assuming and doing wishful thinking on mere analysis.

Verizon will not carry the iPhone for a long time. So quit it with such threads... once LTE is up and running then, yes I'll feel more comfortable saying, Verizon might get it soon.

Comment

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
No one knows how long the original iPhone and post iPhone 3G contracts were. And I mean no one outside Apple HQ and AT&T HQ. Everyone is assuming and doing wishful thinking on mere analysis.

Verizon will not carry the iPhone for a long time. So quit it with such threads... once LTE is up and running then, yes I'll feel more comfortable saying, Verizon might get it soon.

Why is everyone seem to link it to LTE.....

Verizon going LTE does not remove the requirement for the iPhone or any phone on Verizon network from having to support CDMA.
All 3G GSM phones on AT&T network or other GSM networks are required to support Edge, GPRS and GSM. So for 3G phones current out on lets say AT&T network already have to support all 4 of those types. When AT&T adds LTE that means it has to support that on top of the other 4 making it 5 different types of signals the phone would need to be able to flip between.

The older stuff stays active because it is already up and running and works everywhere. All they can do is general upgrade towers which as you can tell takes decades. the GPRS and GSM signal types required to support are already over 20 years old and not going to go away any time soon.

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6

That's true.

Verizon will not carry the iPhone for a long time.

Now who's "assuming and doing wishful thinking on mere analysis"? :)

You're doing the same as everyone else: making deductions based on available evidence.

MacRumors exists for the purpose of trying to make sense out of available information.

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Why is everyone seem to link it to LTE.....

Verizon going LTE does not remove the requirement for the iPhone or any phone on Verizon network from having to support CDMA.
All 3G GSM phones on AT&T network or other GSM networks are required to support Edge, GPRS and GSM. So for 3G phones current out on lets say AT&T network already have to support all 4 of those types. When AT&T adds LTE that means it has to support that on top of the other 4 making it 5 different types of signals the phone would need to be able to flip between.

The older stuff stays active because it is already up and running and works everywhere. All they can do is general upgrade towers which as you can tell takes decades. the GPRS and GSM signal types required to support are already over 20 years old and not going to go away any time soon.

I agree LTE has nothing to do with it. Any phone that goes on Verizon will have to support CDMA for voice and for data to fall back to EVDO when LTE is not in the area. It will be years before Verizon is doing VoIP on LTE. If you honestly believe either Apple won't or can't build a CDMA iPhone, then it will probably be closer to later this decade before we ever see a Verizon one.

It is going to be so funny to see if and when this happens. What will all the people who say Apple will never do this say then???

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wouldn't a CDMA iPhone have to get FCC approval? If so, then if there was a Verizon phone, we'd have heard of the FCC filings. Face it, Verizon isn't getting the iPhone anytime soon.

Comment

balamw

Aug 16, 2005
New England
Far more likely that we will see a T-Mobile 3G compatible iPhone first. Though we could hear about a VZ/CDMA phone coming in June on Wed.

I think some other hints of AT&T losing exclusivity were visible in their CES press release.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30353

Big push to get developers to develop apps for phones other than iPhone.

“Today some AT&T customers can take advantage of more than 100,000 apps – but only if they have the right handset. Our goal is to bring more apps to millions more of our customers who want convenient access to the market’s hottest apps. At the same time, in the future, we plan to go well beyond mobile devices to spur apps development.”

B

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
Comment

schwell

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Yes, we members of the ATT developer's program have been getting asked to enter internal contests for creating content for other devices.

ATT is smart: never put all your eggs in one basket.

AT&T may not have all their eggs in one basket, but they do have most of their golden eggs in one basket. It is just a matter of time before the goose laying those golden eggs starts supplying them to the competition. :)

AT&T is looking for more geese with the ability to produce golden eggs.

Comment

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
This is wonderful news!

For those on AT&T, reduces the strain on AT&T's network

For those not on AT&T, you can get the iPhone on their network of choice

I'm hoping this is true(considering a jump to T Mobile)

Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Fcc

if there is a new iPhone for vzn, wouldn't it have to undergo an FCC review prior to sale? If so Apple may be doing the same thing it did with the original - announce it now themselves so it isn't outed by the FCC later.

Comment

balamw

Aug 16, 2005
New England
ATT is smart: never put all your eggs in one basket.
I don't know, I read a bit of a tone of desperation into that press release.

Perhaps I'd feel differently if they mentioned the iPhone by name.

"We've been really successful with apps on the iPhone and want to build on that success and make apps available for all handsets in our network...."

As the PR stands it seems like AT&T is trying hard not to use the name of a former lover who cheated on them.

B

Comment

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
It would clear up some of the congestion on AT&T, which would be great for me and others who like the network. Then we can see Verizon go through the same growing pains, which would be kind of funny. The iPhone uses a lot more data than the Droid, Nextus One or anything else Verizon has right now.

Comment

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
I would laugh so hard if the iPhone does go to Verizon, they have to use the EDGE network with it for a year like us on AT&T had to

Comment

Medinarem

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2009
Jan 27th

Unless the Iphone becomes available on Jan 27th for verizon Apple will not say it will be switching providers or making any comments on additional networks. If apple does this they will loose customers.

Comment

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
if there is a new iPhone for vzn, wouldn't it have to undergo an FCC review prior to sale? If so Apple may be doing the same thing it did with the original - announce it now themselves so it isn't outed by the FCC later.

Actually, this sounds likely. Apple would never want the FCC leaking out anything about their "precious". In any case, I wouldn't mind hearing about it now and then waiting until June because frankly I'm sick of Verizon's selection of smartphones, but I could never give up Verizon's excellent coverage.

Comment

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
Wouldn't a CDMA iPhone have to get FCC approval? If so, then if there was a Verizon phone, we'd have heard of the FCC filings. Face it, Verizon isn't getting the iPhone anytime soon.

Would you need FCC approval in January for a phone most likely coming out in June?

Comment

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Verizon doesn't have EDGE data. In fact their 3G isn't to far from AT&T EDGE speeds.

Yeah right. Nice try. I have a mifi on verizon and it's comparable to some wifi speeds I've used and much more reliable connection. Even up in the catskills

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.