AT&T Misleading Info

Discussion in 'iPad' started by belder, Mar 25, 2011.

1. belder macrumors newbie

When I ordered my iPad 2 ATT 3G from an AT&T store on March 13 at 1:33PM I was told that it would be delivered in 5 to 7 days. When it did not arrive this past week I assumed there was a delay or that maybe 5 to 6 days meant shipping. Fair enough.

So I called today to inquire and spoke to my sales rep. He commented that the iPads were shipped from their (AT&T's) warehouse and it should have been here already. Said he'd get back to me. (I had read enough on this board to assume it wasn't true.)

When we spoke this afternoon he informed me that because of the Japan tsunami it would be 20 to 25 days. It's not fair to blame this on the tsunami. I'm watching people in other countries today leave Apple stores with iPads while orders taken two weeks ago remain unfilled.

I thought I'd post this in case someone has had the same situation. I'm sure they're all coming from China like I've been reading here. I don't know who I'm disappointed in the most, Apple or AT&T...maybe both.

2. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

3. mrpmosh macrumors newbie

Ordered on the 12th from AT&T. Was told it would ship on Monday. Entire week got the run around. My apple.com order shipped so I canceled. Extremely poor customer service through AT&T.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

They always say vote with your wallet.

Are you keeping your order?

5. apd8 macrumors member

I don't think it's relevant to the tsunami. Apple have not said anything about running out of parts supplied from Japan and I never heard that the finished products are shipped from Japan or even via Japan.
    I don't think China was affected by the tsunami either.

In my view, I would be disappointed in at&t since they are the one who gave you the date and if there is a change, they should be responsible to inform you. And I believe that since many other smaller resellers received iPad2s, at&t should have received a much larger volume.

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Seems like a pretty convenient excuse. Wonder if he thought of that beforehand or just pulled that out of his ass at the spur of the moment.

Apple has said nothing about delays due to this.

at&t customer service is horrible. Buy somewhere else.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I wouldn't recommend buying from AT&T any iPad. Just the iPhone.

8. Zeos macrumors 6502

As I have been saying for a while.... To AT&T, the customer is stupid and is a nuisance. I've seen this poor service consistently in all areas where I've dealt with them... phone, internet, cable, and cellular.:mad:

9. belder thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to cancel today. I can get an iPad2 direct from Apple in 2 to 3 weeks. You are absolutely right. This is ridiculous. I may wait until I can walk in a store and buy one. "It's not like I'm waiting for a kidney" to quote Andy Ihnatko on TWIT's Mac Break Weekly.

I've had a BellSouth mobile phone since the 80's. Been with Southern Bell /AT&T / Bellsouth long distance and phone service from the day I moved from my parents home in 1974. I have great service from their DSL which I've had for ten years. But someone will hear from me about this.

And I hold Apple responsible, too. They announced early without the inventory to handle the orders. And then released worldwide with an inability to fulfill the others here. It's time to re-think.

10. Rafterman macrumors 68000

NEVER order anything from AT&T directly. I remember reading about the iPhone 4 launch and how each store only had 7 iPhones and they never bothered to tell the hundreds of people in line that most of them would have to wait for it to be shipped to them. They could have ordered it from home without waiting for four hours. That's AT&T's mindset. I have no problems with the service itself, but their treatment of customers is crap.

11. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I ordered a 16GB Black 3G online from the AT&T site on Sunday March 13th around 1:00 PM & it shipped the next day. Are you able to check your order online or did you order it from a store.

12. belder thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered from the store. This morning I canceled my AT&T order. Here's how that went.

1. Called the local AT&T store to cancel. Said the computer wouldn't go online. I said, "Are you with AT&T wireless?" They said to call the "866" number on my receipt and they'd handle it.

2. Called 866 number. They thought I was trying to cancel my GO phone. I told them it was an iPad order. They didn't see it in my name. I gave them everything including the store number.
    "Store number! Oh you have to go to the exact AT&T store to cancel the order."

3. At the AT&T store I was right next to someone who was also canceling their iPad order. Again, the tsunami excuse. I explained that wasn't true and why. "That's the excuse they gave us."

4. Went to Peach Mac to play with an new iPad. It is nice. Asked the guy how long until someone can walk into a store and just buy one. He said two to three months.

13. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Weird. When I look at the Apple site for ordering it says 5-6 weeks (April 27 arrival date). When I look at the AT&T website is says 20-24 days for delivery.

I was actually able to find mine at Best Buy (I just called every day and ended up catching them with 2 in stock an drove like a maniac over to get one) and canceled my Apple.com order.

I think the average turn around for the order no matter who you go through is 4-6 weeks if you are ordering.. I would keep calling your local places because you never know. I didn't actually think I would get one, but kept trying. I actually called at 11am the day I got mine. They had got the shipment, but not unpacked and stocked until around 9ish.. It was just a couple phone calls everyday and it I got lucky enough to findit local and not have to wait.

ETA: I have and wanted the AT&T version.. And there is no Apple Store within 2 hours of me so I was trying retailers like Wal-mart and Best Buy.

14. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

15. belder thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: When we last left this saga I had canceled my iPad order from the AT&T store.

The bank card charge was canceled but it was too late to stop the iPad order.

Last night March 29 I get an e-mail with the FedEx tracking order that the iPad was going to be at my Local AT&T center Thursday, four weeks before they said it would be. I also got an AT&T e-mail telling me my card would be charged. Checked my bank charge and nothing has been charged or money taken.

This morning, March 30 I visit my AT&T store with my information and copies of the e-mails sent. I had the documentation that the iPod I canceled was arriving at their store tomorrow.

My question to them: How would it be possible for me to buy the iPod I had ordered?

I have to say they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. And they say they've worked a way that I can buy the iPad I ordered. I felt sorry for them as they have been given so much inaccurate information about when the product will arrive and wait time.

When I ordered on March 13 they originally told me 5 to 7 days delivery. When that didn't happen they said it was going to be 4 to 5 weeks. That's when I canceled the order.

In reality (if it arrives tomorrow) it will have been two weeks 5 days from order to delivery. I'll keep you posted.