Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T is the fastest mobile network in the United States according to PCMag's latest annual mobile network comparison, which was released this morning.

For the test, PCMag employees drove through 30 cities and 25 states across the U.S. and ran more than 60,000 mobile speed tests to determine the speediest mobile network. The tests were conducted using Samsung Galaxy S10 devices on networks from AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

fastestmobilenetworks2019pcmag-800x393.jpg

This year, AT&T edged out Verizon, the winner for the past five years, thanks to AT&T's focus on improving its LTE network in preparation for 5G technology. While all four networks improved overall on both speed and reliability compared to last year, AT&T improved a bit more than the others.

4gdownloadspeeds2019.jpg

AT&T won or tied for first place in 15 of the 30 cities tested, and it tied or came out on top in all rural regions. AT&T was on top overall in the northwest, southwest, north central, and northeast, while Verizon won in the south central region and T-Mobile came out ahead in the southeast.

attmap1-800x450.jpg

AT&T has been making improvements to its 4G network and has been labeling those 4G enhancements as "5GE," but really it's the same 4G LTE technology offered by other wireless companies as well. Still, these efforts to improve the 4G network ahead of 5G have led to overall speed boosts for AT&T customers.

The full results of PCMag's 2019 mobile carrier speed testing can be found over on the PCMag website.

Article Link: AT&T Named 2019's Fastest U.S. Mobile Network in Annual PCMag Carrier Showdown

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Same as my results. When I lived in the SouthEast (North Carolina), I found T-Mobile to be the best. I now live in the NorthEast (New York) and find AT&T to be the best.

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
Well I’m going to try t mobile for the 2020 iPhone , looking at that chart it’s 100% right , in Miami att coverage is gray but the internet is super slow on large crows , traffic and I’m on the unlimited plan , also 22gb limit is crap

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
When AT&T is fast, it's fast. But when you're in a bad reception or congested area, no matter if it's in the middle of a big city, then you'll be cursing your iPhone like it was the 3G. I've called them countless times to see when they plan new towers in the areas I have trouble and they never have an answer for me.

genegraygsm

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
Very interesting. I would disagree a little bit with this map. SoCal's AT&T service is horrible. When I was in west TX, AT&T was king and had better service. I have a feeling this is based on the major cities skewing the number. Although, everywhere I've gone I always had a Verizon Signal. Maybe AT&T is finally figuring out their over congestion. We will see what happens with the new 5G network continues to roll out and measure those download speeds. :)

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
interesting. when i switched from att to t-mo in nyc i didn't notice any difference. of course that was about 5 years ago, perhaps att has been at it...

msama

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
Living in South Central I'm happy to have verizon, when I visit the southwest not so much... so from my experience that map seems pretty accurate

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
When AT&T is fast, it's fast. But when you're in a bad reception or congested area, no matter if it's in the middle of a big city, then you'll be cursing your iPhone like it was the 3G. I've called them countless times to see when they plan new towers in the areas I have trouble and they never have an answer for me.
Exactly I’m not even close to my 22gb throttling and I experience this while my friends with t mobile internet working fine

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I mean, T-Mobile is more than capable when you consider the price, and it doesn't even throttle you until you get to 50GB. The difference isn't that big, especially on a phone. They're all so fast now that I consider price, data caps and coverage to be more important.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Who here switched to ATT back when it was the exclusive iPhone carrier. I remember getting one of the original iPhones while still on t-mobile, unlocked with the devteam or ghotz tools. It didn't support everything out of the box on the tmo network, but tmo support guys had figured out how to work with jailbroken iPhones. I finally went to ATT for the 3gs and am too lazy to switch now. Verizon must be kicking themselves for not launching first.

jshort

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Fast doesn't mean reliable.

Also what about actually using your phone as a phone and talking on it with your mouth.. Verizon wins that most everywhere in the Southeast in my experience. T-Mobile is terrible at that in the south and rural areas nationally.

Reactions: tonyr6

tnkrmdc

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2009
Verizon has good coverage where I live. AT&T crappy coverage. T-Mobile and Sprint practically has no coverage. Speed tests don’t really matter.

Reactions: Breaking Good

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
I’ve had the same experience here. In my area most people I know keep LTE turned off because it is far slower than 4G. Like literally almost nothing will even load with LTE on.

Reactions: k1121j
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.