Carrier AT&T Next Upgrades 2015 [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by subzero123, Aug 16, 2015.

1. subzero123 macrumors member

For those of you who got a launch day iPhone 6 last year with the Next program, does anyone know how its going to work next month for the 6s upgrade? Will we be able to preorder like everyone else? How and when will we be responsible for returning the iP6?

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

To the people who are on the at&t next plan and got the iPhone6 on launch day last year and are planing to upgrade to 6s next month

How are you going to do it without adding another line or upgrading another line ?

I see my options are

1-Selling the iPhone 6 now and pay at&t the $500+ I still owe on the phone

2- give the iPhone6 back to at&t and pay them $200

What are you going to do?

3. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

4. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

I recently paid off, & submitted an unlock request for my iP6. I’m in the midst of selling it on eBay after i found out i had to pay them $200+ AND the phone in order to upgrade. The hell with that. I’ll make a little on the phone & still upgrade

5. TAI182 macrumors regular

TAI182

Why do you still have to pay $200 if you already paid off the phone?

6. subzero123 thread starter macrumors member

Wait what? You still have to pay the 200-300 to upgrade if you are on next, AND turn in the phone? That seems silly

7. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Well what I'd do depends on straightening out the mess above. I'm not paying $200 on top of what I owe.

I'd prefer to trade mine in than try to sell. Mine has never quite performed as well as my husband's identical model. Then I dropped it and had the screen replaced. There's still nicks on the metal from the drop. I have certain ideals and I don't want to unload a subpar phone on someone paying hard earned money on it. Let it get professionally refurbished before being resold. If I have to keep it then I'll pass it along to one of the kids or my mother in law who only uses cell phones for calling and bejeweled.

8. HEK, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

What? If you paid off, in total the phone, it is yours period. That's paying all 20 payments.

Sounds like you have not reached the amount of payments to upgrade. When did you start Next program with this phone and which payment number. There were choices.

If you are on the 12/20 next plan and paid 12 payments you can upgrade and return the current phone skip paying the remaining 8 payments. That's $379.60 balance for my 6 Plus 128 gb. If you have not paid the 12th payment you can't trade in. When you order the phone they give you the option to pay up to the 12th payment plus tax on new phone in the upgrade process.

Let's get the terminology strait here. Paying off the phone means, paying the full balance of what you owe. If it's a 128 gb 6 Plus then $949 plus the tax you paid up front. That's when you OWN it.

Paying to the point when you can trade in for the new phone means you return current phone after making the minimum payments, receive new phone and start the process all over again.

I read AT&T has three varying length Next alternatives and one choice where you can put more down up front to reduce the monthly payment. In all cases you pay no interest. Completely your choice from start to finish. I am going to pay my twelfth payment and turn phone in. I've had eBay problems in past won't use any more. Sold another phone direct to have person come back complaining because of a tiny cosmetic scratch on case. Pain in ass for a few extra bucks, that's me. You may do as you wish. Point is With Next it is completely above board, no hidden costs.

9. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

Sorry I just realized what I typed. It's not paid off yet. I initially thought I chose the 12 month Next plan, but it was 24 months to pay it off so it's not paid off from financing it.
    I'm paying it completely off now so I can sell it

10. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

11. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

12. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

Last week when I looked at my upgrade options, there were two.
    On Next 24 Plan....
    1-pay them $200 something (I forget the exact number) AND trade in the phone
    Or
    2-pay off completely to own (which was $400 something)
    I went w/ the latter

13. HEK, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Yes that makes sense.. saw same thing when I checked mine. One payment left $47.45 for trade and 9 payments to own $427.05

Too many bad experiences previous sales, just trading in, my time more valuable than the few dollars from selling myself.

I prefer Next because it is transparent. Before when I paid the subsidy price the balance of the phone cost was wrapped up in the monthly cell fee. On two phones I had them for longer than two years and the cell fee stayed the same. Way overpaid for those phones.

14. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

I hear ya w/ the bad experiences. We just had a bad one on Craigslist, so giving eBay another go around. If this falls through, it's Gazelle or trading in w/ the carrier. Sometimes it's just not worth it

15. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I checked with Usell and gazelle and they were both offering more than my payoff amount so I went ahead and paid my 6 Plus off in full. If I don't get a good deal on CL soon then I will send it to one of them before the deadline.

16. JustMadeThisNameUp macrumors regular

What happened with Craigslist that made it a bad experience?

17. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

A family member had an issue w/ a listing that went south. Could've been much worse

18. Dopestar macrumors regular

Dopestar

Thank yo for this post I was going to create a similar one but you beat me to it. I am very curious on how a lot of customers are going to handle the new device that will be announced in September.

19. Che Castro macrumors 603

I forgot to mention I'm on the next 24 plan iPhone 6 64gb, I always been on the "tic" model , never had an s

But now I want the bigger phone 6s plus

20. tstephens0518 macrumors newbie

I'm wondering the same thing. Anyone know the answer to this?

21. EvanEiga macrumors member

So apparently it's only possible to upgrade through ATT Next on Apple.com this year.

I still have my grandfathered unlimited data plan and I intent to keep it this way. Does it mean I will have to upgrade at ATT or wait in line at Apple in order to get my new iPhone on the first day?

How does ATT Next work anyway, what I do right now is I have 2 lines on my phone, and so every year I either use my own eligibility to get the new iPhone or swap eligibility from the other line.

My monthly bill runs at about $150 for one unlimited line and one 300mb line with unlimited text and some talk.

If I opt for ATT Next, does it mean I will be paying 150+30 or something like that every year? How will I be able to upgrade on day one moving forward?

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If your contract is up you can still do a two year contract with subsidy and keep your unlimited plan. You have to do it either on ATT's website or at the store only as Apple will not be doing the subsidy contract anymore.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

pretty sure you cannot do next with an unlimited plan. I may be wrong though.

24. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I have the unlimited data as well. Usually I upgrade through apple.com. This year, I guess I'll have to do it through the at&t website as well.

Also looking into selling my 5S to NextWorth, as they hold prices for 1 month, which wuld give some leeway in keeping your phone while you wait for the new one.

Expect the AT&T site to be really really bad on launch day though.

25. bielen macrumors regular

You cannot have unlimited on Next. I currently have unlimited and need to add two lines. Need to determine if I should finally give it up.