AT&T, please train your employees

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulieORF, Jun 13, 2010.

1. PaulieORF macrumors regular

So I know this doesn't pertain to all AT&T stores employees, but this just adds to all the misinformation that is out there in regards to the iPhone 4.

I called my local AT&T store to verify the preordering process. The girl said that if I preorder on the 15th for store delivery, I can't pick it up until the 25th at the earliest, possibly the 26th or the 28th. Forget that. So she then says that if I have her have it shipped to my house, it will ship on the 24th for delivery probably on the 25th. I then said I'd probably rather order it online for home delivery from the Apple Store, because they are shipping for delivery on the 24th. She then said that even if I do that, I'm going to have to bring the phone into the AT&T store to have it activated, and wait through the lines anyway. I told her that's ridiculous, I can activate from home. She then put me on with her manager who said that every person who gets home delivery from Apple or AT&T will have to go into their local AT&T store to have their phone activated. I just laughed and said well thanks man, and hung up.

AT&T, this is a mess. All of the people who don't know any better who have this store preorder for home delivery are going to unnecessarily come into the store to get the phone activated.

2. D3lta macrumors 6502a

This is exactly why I don't bother dealing with AT&T, 99% of their employees don't know jack ****.

3. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

They are just doing it because AT&T does not want you to get the phone any other way except through them. I believe the 25th pick-up date is done on purpose so many people will either wait in their line or have it shipped through them. They are telling people things about every other company, while trying to promote theirs.

Is it messed up? Yes, but it is a business.

4. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

everything is about commission with them. they will tell you whatever little lies they can to get that sale.

i remember when my mom got her original iphone 8 gig the att rep told her she had to purchase a flash drive to put on to their computers to pull her numbers from her old sim card. so my mom says "i already own a flash drive" the sales rep then tells her "oh that one won't work on our computers".

5. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I would just drive on over to another store if someone tried to pull that flash drive thing on me.

6. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I would have lied and said that I did not have enough money leftover for a flash drive, so I guess I will be returning the phone. I wonder how fast they would mysteriously find one for you to use? :D

7. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Genius!

8. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's super shady.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oh just wait until people started bitching about the fact apple is forcing all iPhone users to switch sims. That is going to create a mess for AT&T as they will have to transfer everyone sims.

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

when you plug an iPhone in to activate for the first time, you tell it what number you have (if you are already on ATT) and it loads your number onto the blank SIM preinstalled in the phone.
    If you order online from Apple, they ask you for the number, and when the phone arrives, your number is preinstalled on the SIM, waiting to be activated.

11. kmonie360 macrumors member

yea most of us don't know jack. but some of us do.. whats going to happen is it is possible that you will get it on the 24th, but almost ALL iPhone 4 will be shipped directly to your house. You will not have to go into an ATT store to activate, all you have to do is tether to iTunes, possible that you might have to call our contract acceptance line to activate your phone but thats the extent of it... believe me AT&T and Apple wouldn't ship to your house to just tell you to go to a store.

i change sims everyday, takes 20 seconds...

12. chdwil macrumors regular

I had to inform an AT&T clerk that the iPhone 4 had a microsim after he insisted that only the ipad had a microsim.

13. kmonie360 macrumors member

it uses a different micro sim than the ipad does too

14. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

AT&T has to change the sim on the line over to the new micro sim, which will make the overall purchasing process take longer. Last year you could just have them put your current sim in which saved time, that won't be a choice this year.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They want you to go in store so that they can get a commision from "selling" the phone. If the system shows the iPhone being activated by an AT&T employee, that employee will get a nice little commision.

They know who everything works, AT&T trains people very well. But AT&T reps think with their pockets rather than for the good of the company.

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

True but at time same people need to do their own research on stuff they buy. You go into any place to buy something with out researching, that's your fault for buying crap you don't need.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That is also true.

18. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

WOW...

I just went to my AT&T store and they told me that I can't pre-order online and i HAVE to come into the store and i CAN'T have it shipped to my house...what a bunch of weasels:mad:

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you read what I said? The AT&T rep in store will tell you that to GET a comission!!! Truth is, you can get it online.

20. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

that is what I was told by 4 different stores. I have to come into the store in person to pre-order. That if I have a FAN I should be pre-ordering through them not Apple. That I can have it shipped to my house BUT IT WON'T ARRIVE until 6/25 or 6/28. They can not have the device shipped to the ATT store...
    :p

21. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

So what if they get commission. I don't see how that is a big issue at all? Buy in store, online, delivery, best buy, radio shack, wal-mart or where ever. Whatever suites your fancy.

No sense knocking down a business because people make commission. Lol. If they are lying, like some are stating they are here - that's a different story :)

22. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

yeah i know that...hence why i called them weasels. I was just sharing my story about AT&T service.

23. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

That is what I HATE about commissioned sales.
    They'll lie and say anything to get a sale or meet a quota.
    SCUMS!

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You misunderstand me. AT&T reps tell a lie to the customer when they say store only, when clearly on AT&T's website you are allowed online Pre-Order.

Reason why they lie is to get that commision.

25. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Well, what reason did they give as why you had to come to the store in person (sic) to pre-order? Just having a FAN associated with your account means very little. The issue is the "type" of account. AT&T does not share all "business customer" information with Apple... :eek:

I can't wait to hear the rest of this story, do you have a magic FAN or just a basic, I get a discount plan? Do you know the difference between an IRU and a CRU and do you pay your own bill or does a company pay it?

There is an easy way to check, just go to the Apple site (when AT&T is back online) and "Check your eligiblity".

https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjects/IPACustomer.woa/wa/IPAToolAction/checkUpgradeEligibility

If Apple can see your information, then you are good to go. If you get an error that tells you that Apple can't validate your information, then yes, you need to go to AT&T or pre-order through the business portal ( business customers) go here... https://www.wireless.att.com/business/) or at any AT&T store for home delivery on launch day.

Dave