AT&T Reportedly Prepping for iPhone Launch in 'Early to Mid-September'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BGR reports that AT&T is beginning preparations for an expected "early to mid-September" launch of the next-generation iPhone, in line with launch rumors and expectations and other reports of Apple beefing up its retail store staffing over a similar timeframe.
BGR has exclusively learned that AT&T has begun communicating launch plans internally for Apple's next-generation iPhone 5 handset. We have been told that AT&T has begun informing employees across the company, and those who work in retail locations, to finish any sort of employee training as soon as possible. AT&T is asking managers to finish training in order to have employees available for the influx of foot traffic expected in September, a proven source has shared with us.
Apple has been preparing to increase staffing at its retail stores in the United States and United Kingdom, and rumors have suggested that Apple will use its traditional fall iPod media event to introduce the next-generation iPhone this year. That event has typically taken place in early September, although some reports have pushed that date up into late August this year ahead of a September launch for the device. Apple has announced that iOS 5 will debut this "fall", and that software launch will undoubtedly occur right around the release of the next-generation hardware.

Article Link: AT&T Reportedly Prepping for iPhone Launch in 'Early to Mid-September'

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Bring it on! I hope AT&T allows some of the early iPhone 4 customers to upgrade without penalty. So far, they've been good about that. :D

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
//true story.
I was excited for lion but since that's over with my ego needs something else to dwell on.

Anyway, this is welcomed news. The stars are aligning.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Bring it on! I hope AT&T allows some of the early iPhone 4 customers to upgrade without penalty. So far, they've been good about that. :D
Exactly. With the 3GS they were not so helpful to 3G owners. So if this truly is an iPhone5, especially if it has LTE I hoe ATT does what they need.

That said, if this is more incremental and is an iPhone 4S or a wimped out iPhone 5 I can see them holding out.

I feat they will yank our unlimited data for those grandfathered in, especially if there is true 4 G speeds. Time will tell, 6 to 8 weeks to go.

switcher3365

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
Bring this thing in AUGUST. I have this Samsung Sync and I'm ready to get rid of it!

AAAAHHHH!!!!

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
It's looking more and more like a September launch, then. The big question is how big of a difference will there be between the iPhone 4 and 5. Current signs point to "not that much". But given that I'm holding a two-year-old 3GS, I'm probably going to upgrade regardless.

I'm probably going to lose my unlimited data plan, though. I can't say I've ever used more than 2 GB in a month, but it would still suck having one more meter somewhere that I have to keep watch on.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
hardware features

So many rumors about timing... and they mostly agree, which is good. But I want to know more about the potential features! :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
cool, so ive only got to wait 3 months before i'm eligible for upgrade even tho i got the 4 on release date. sweet

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Exactly. With the 3GS they were not so helpful to 3G owners. So if this truly is an iPhone5, especially if it has LTE I hoe ATT does what they need.

That said, if this is more incremental and is an iPhone 4S or a wimped out iPhone 5 I can see them holding out.

I feat they will yank our unlimited data for those grandfathered in, especially if there is true 4 G speeds. Time will tell, 6 to 8 weeks to go.
Now that the question unlimited data at 3G or limited at 4G

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
I'm not too excited about this to be honest.

The iPhone 4 pretty much maxed me out on the features/performance that I needed from a smartphone. As long as they don't cripple the new OTA sync or cloud features of IOS 5 in the iPhone 4 I'll be happy with my old one.

I'm sure Apple will find a way to change my mind before the launch though :D

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

alent1234 said:
It won't have LTE. Look for that in the 2012 models.
it will probably be LTE. qualcomm is supposed to ship a LTE radio chip soon that also supports all older techs as well
They pushed that chip back to early 2012. No LTE this go around.

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
I will upgrade from the 3Gs if it gets the upgraded A5 chip. If it doesn't then an alternative cell phone will be in my future.
Yes, bc the A5 chip is the most important part of a PHONE. The current iPhone outperforms most others with better specs. These comments are so annoying.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Yes, bc the A5 chip is the most important part of a PHONE. The current iPhone outperforms most others with better specs. These comments are so annoying.
well my PHONE years ago with 256 kb ram worked just fine too but i still like the A4 chip of my iPhone 4. the iPhone can only benefit from the A5 chip, cannot wait ... my iphone 4 feels kinda luggish next to the latest samsung

bbplayer5

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2007
4 inch screen minimum and LTE or its a no go for me... LTE has me spoiled with tethering :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.