AT&T Responds to Verizon Ads

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rdowns, Nov 13, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

Note to ATT and Verizon. Your customers would prefer a price war, not a war of words. :D

Your AT&T Team

2. Morn macrumors 6502

Huh? It's a fair comparison. Every Verizon tower is 3G, not every AT&T tower is 3G, it's perfectly fair for Verizon to point it out.
    It's kind of silly that AT&T is suggesting their EDGE network can be good competition to Verizon's network in areas they have no 3G.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Verizon is simply using ATT's own 3G map on their own website, with EDGE coverage stripped away.

ATT's problem is that it's difficult to show such a population relationship on a simple map... whereas overall geographic coverage is easy to see.

(To be more accurate, 75% of the population's homes are covered, because they're in dense towns. Drive outside those populated areas, and the coverage goes away.)

4. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Whether Verizon meant it or not, the ads are misleading. There are consumers out there in the marketplace who see those ads and think that is the only place they can get AT&T coverage. Those of us on this forum are intelligent enough to know what exactly Verizon is talking about. However, the average cell user isn't savvy enough to know the difference. They're presented with two coverage maps and Verizon doesn't get very detailed in their message as to what is what. This is AT&T's beef and I totally understand it.

At this point, they're doing what they have to do to protect themselves. A lot of people are moving out of their standard flip phones and going to smartphones, and AT&T doesn't want their current consumer base to think that they only have coverage in a few blips of the nation as the map on the advertisement shows. I'm really not trying to be AT&T's apologist but I do understand where they're coming from on this one.

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

The commercial clearly says "3G coverage". It was not misleading at all unless you are a complete idiot and cant read. Its no more misleading than Apple using a guy with huge hands in their commercials, to make the phone look smaller. Its no more misleading than when they made the 3G look incredibly snappy in its commercials.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

i think ATT is pissed because verizon has another great advertising catch phrase

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    "Fastest 3G network" could also be misleading, as is "more bars in more places".

If ATT succeeds in getting Verizon to show more coverage (in different shades) on the ad maps, then I can foresee Verizon making ATT pinpoint exactly when and where and how "fastest" applies, and where these "more places" are (not in the USA, for sure).

Then they'll both start going back and forth on every little detail, and it'll be a real mess :rolleyes:

8. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Like I said, the ad is not misleading to your or I, but most cell users don't know what the hell "3G" is. So when they see the commercial, the don't know what exactly they're talking about so they automatically see those two maps and think AT&T has virtually no coverage.

You can't take what information you personally know and assume every other consumer has the same information. Most people have more important things going on in their life than knowing the ins and outs of the cell phone industry.

9. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

I would absolutely love to see it. Make them both squirm as they both charge way too much for service. I'm ready for a Cellular Carrier War!

10. Morn macrumors 6502

Yes, but just show any old joe, web browsing out of those 3G areas on EDGE, compared to verizon's performance. And they'll understand the point of the advert very well. That is, that they only have something a little better than no coverage.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

is verizons commercial factual?

its not verizons fault people may not know or understand what edge or 3g actually is. are the maps a matter of fact.

I still want to meet that 1 denist who doesnt recommend trident gum for his patience that hew gum

12. Morn macrumors 6502

Remember, the advert was targeted at smart phone users.
    Not at people who just do voice calls.

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

IMO AT&T is really making no good "comebacks" ...make a shart comparing 1xEVDO vs. HSPA+/HSDPA/UMTS and you'll REALLY take a **** on verizons 3G ads.....again customers won't no wtf HSDPA but they barely know what 3G is and if verizon wants to play this game so can AT&T, that's what capitalism is right?

14. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

FWIW, my buddy at work is on Verizon and is thinking of switching to the iPhone when his current contract is up. Based on the VZW "map" commercials, he was under the impression that he couldn't get ANY service outside of the AT&T blue areas. He isn't a tech savvy person or anything and doesn't frequent sites like MacRumors. I had to explain to him that you can still get data and voice outside the blue areas but that blue only mean "faster" data downloads for AT&T.

Bottomline, the commercial can be misleading to some people. I know that's VWZs end-game... but like some said earlier, some of AT&Ts ads can be misleading as well.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

lol,
    I can't see why ATT is pissed. They have a very spotty 3G coverage, and verizon is using their own map (expunged of the edge blue color).

Perhaps they should spend more time in extending 3G then doing spin control.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have 3G service almost everywhere I go. When I'm not in a 3G area... guess what, I STILL get coverage. I can STILL browse the web and I can still make calls.

The real question is... who has more voice and data coverage? AT&T or Verizon?

AT&T has: GPRS, EDGE and 3G
    Verizon has: Just 3G

The Verizon is comparing their total coverage to AT&T's 3G coverage. I think that's an unfair comparison. The fact is... the iPhone doesn't stop working when it goes out of the blue areas.

17. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

sure AT&T has edge, but for the majority of smart phone users 3g is key in getting data transfers, and for that edge is super slow. Now, if we take AT&T's spotty reception into consideration and that some customers get 1-2 bars on edge, it equals a terrible combination. Good luck accessing Idisk with that.
    Yes there's wifi, but some of us travel, and travel often and can't always connect to Comcast WiFi.

Verizon is excellent at pointing this problem out.

What's funny is that a few years down the road Sprint's 4G network might equal AT&T's 3g.

Whoever wrote the recent holiday ads is a genius.

18. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere on here that Verizon's "3G" isn't really true 3G as AT&T defines it, so you can't even make the comparison. Anyone know if that's true?

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

don't forget the campaign in the past were ATT said they had the "most reliable network in the nation. with the fewest drop calls" which they got called on and turn out that they were one of the WORSE at dropped calls.

20. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

how is that not fair? Verizon 3G coverage vs ATT 3G coverage. and the fact is that Verizon 3G covers more than ATT's 3G.

it never said anything about the phone not working out of 3G area.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Still Fair because it is 3G vs 3G.

The reason Verizon has only 3G coverage is verizon went with CDMA technology back in the beginning so it entire network going 3G was more of a software update than a hardware update. ATT (and other GSM providers) have to do a hardware upgrade to get 3G since 3G is a CDMA based technology and as such are very limited to its roll out and has to be done at a slower pace.

Verizon choose a better technology to go with early on and it is paying out right now in Spades because it allowed a massive network upgrade to 3G compared to ATT having to build new towers and still have rather crappy 3G coverage.

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

But it makes people think that the only places you get AT&T coverage are in those few areas whereas Verizon shows their ENTIRE coverage. If AT&T showed their ENTIRE coverage, then you would see that AT&T isn't as bad as Verizon is making them out to be.

AT&T has been great for me (coverage wise).

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm thrilled Verizon is running these ads. I'm on an iPhone in NYC in the middle of supposed 3G coverage and the service is terrible. There are several areas where the network completely fails.

AT&T never expected their lousy network to be nationally exposed for the low quality experience it is in many places. Upgrading a network takes years, and so I hope Verizon keeps up the barrage of ads telling the truth about AT&T. I'm hoping this motivates them to stop stuffing cash into their pockets and invest in their infrastructure.

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Even though I don't think Verizon is going to get the iPhone anytime soon, I wished they would so all this talk about how great Verizon is could be put to rest. The commercials mean nothing to me. I get great service with AT&T. Maybe if I lived somewhere else, Verizon "would" be better. But I don't and that's all that is important. I don't get dropped calls. My 3G is always on and I don't live anywhere close to what would be called a big city.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Verizon is full of crap. They don't have in there AT&T's EDGE network.

EDGE is a 3G technology. However, because actual speeds (not theoretical) don't reach over 200 Kb/s people call it 2.75G. However, it has been accepted as a 3G technology. You don't believe me? See Internationals Mobile Union say on the matter. They say it's a 3G.. I mean, all AT&T has to do is switch whatever is covered in EDGE colors to Blue 3G colors and pretty much they can counter Verizon. After all, Vericrap's EV-DO Rev.0 network is much much slower than EDGE.