Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
throwback to this piece of trash

att5ge.jpg

I came here for this. Thanks for delivering :)

• Love
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Yeah, and they sent an email a couple of days ago to me saying that my unlocked phone will not work once they shut down the 3G network in 2022.
So, they better start certifying phones for their network to use before switching over to this "5G".

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Apple doesn't offer an iPhone or iPad with support for 5G

I couldn't care less about Mobile 5G, but I would love to hear more about 5G Fixed Wireless Access.

At least in the US, I am sure that 5G Fixed Wireless Access would have much more greater impact from a consumer's perspective than 5G Mobile.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Meanwhile in New Hampshire on Verizon. For the record, zero service here with AT&T (switched away 2 years ago to Verizon). I'm so sick of 'future tech' while a huge swath of the country doesn't even have 3G. I live 5 miles from Dartmouth College. Sigh. When I moved to New Hampshire from downtown San Francisco 10 years ago, I thought by now, I'd be able to use streaming music. 10 freaking years. The FCC really needs to get it's **** together and bring a nationwide 3G to everyone.

fJvtncc.jpeg
Agree with how long cellular has been around, it's ridiculous to have ZERO coverage anywhere. There is an area like that near us. AT&T has zilch, but Verizon is fine. Don't think I've found anywhere yet with no VZW coverage at all, even if it drops to the slower.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Not sure if you just posted this for likes or what, but I’ve had them since the original iPhone in 2007 and have no complaints. Fast, reliable, and available almost everywhere that I’ve been.
Just another of the many useless posts on this forum.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Agree with how long cellular has been around, it's ridiculous to have ZERO coverage anywhere. There is an area like that near us. AT&T has zilch, but Verizon is fine. Don't think I've found anywhere yet with no VZW coverage at all, even if it drops to the slower.

It's why I still carry a Garmin Inreach on me when I go out riding. It's not like I"m not 1-2 miles from town but if I break my leg, more often than not, I will not have cell phone service. So Here I am riding 5 miles from Dartmouth College with a freaking sat-phone for $30 a month because local carriers won't fix their crappy towers. Pretty infuriating.

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Well 5G is very good for mobile use, but when it comes to home use, not so much. Broadband providers give you like 1TB of data each month to use. You might got like 50gb per month with wireless 5G. And it is easier for the wireless network to get congested in dense population areas. But I will upgrade my iPhone in a year or two to keep up with the technology change.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Yeah so I don't trust InfoWars. So I did my own research - which in reality took about 20 minutes. What I found in 20 minutes is

- There havent been ANY safety tests or safety studies on 5G. This is a fact so don't come at me with "conspiracy". It's not a conspiracy. Ok?! There haven't been any. Period.

- 60Ghz spectrum is a spectrum used by 5G. This is a fact. Ok?! It says so on the package text. It's being sold as that.

- MIT study from the 1970ies shows the impact of 60Ghz frequency on oxygen. IDK why this really old study came up - but it explored the impact of different frequencies. Conclusion: Oxygent shows high absorption rates. Meaning - there is a strong interaction with oxygen. This is a fact. I read the study. Unless you think the MIT engineers made that up. Which is possible.

- This study shows That 60Ghz impacts oxygen, whereas the frequencies around don't - 50Ghz and 70Ghz don't have much absorption of oxygen. There's a nice curve with a very steep spike peaking at 60Ghz. Makes me wonder - why doesn't 5 g use 50 or 70Ghz? I don't know the answer to that.

In my own conclusion - is it possible that 5 g could cause people to turn blue, and mess with oxygen absorption in the blood? Yes, it's possible. If it was me, I would research this, I would make sure it doesn't, and I would choose a different frequency, maybe 45Ghz or 75 to be on the safe side. Isn't everything about safety these days?

A few months on, I did a bit more digging and you will never guess WHERE I dug. In some secret archives? No. In CIA decals docs? No. I studied the brochure for the technology. What it is advertised to do. This, you can look up in any more technical description of the tech. It's most definitely NOT a theory - it's on the package, basically.

- Micro array antennas, short distance therefore many stations, many more than 4G - up to every 150 feet.

- Beamforming - the reason 5 g is so fast is that it forms a nice, straight beam from the base station to your device / body.

Now let's think logically what does beamforming mean? It means it forms a beam. Where 4G broadcasts in all directions, like a lightbulb, 5G creates beams to devices, like a laser pointer.

In order to create beams, it needs to know who is where - it tracks cell phones with a sort of sweeping motion, sweeping the area. Like a radar. It can see who is where with a very high precision. It needs to otherwise beamforming won't work.

This isn't a theory - it's how it works.

The biggest difference between beamforming and the old broadcast antenna is that beams do not lose intensity with distance. While a 4G tower loses signal power with the distance squred - e.g. super fast drop-off - 5G hardly loses any signal strength at all, because it's a straight line. It gets "absorbed" by organic and other materials, but when it hits you, it hits you full strength, distance doesn't matter much.

So it can track you, see where you are, and target you - this is all capabilities to make 5G work. This is no theory.

So one could potentially hack the system, arrange the antennas to follow one person around for a few months. They're getting then slowly grilled with radiation, at full power from every station.

Also, this capability could actually be intentionally built in by those who build these networks. I don't know that. But it's definitely possible to radiation-poison people with this tech and if it can be used like that, it WILL be used by that.

So unless youre sure that
- There isn't anybody behind this rushed rollout that may want to secretly exterminate unwanted people by giving them cancer (not that the CIA could for example possibly have any interest in such a directed energy weapons system.... noooo... they'd never do that... )
- There isn't anybody or any nation state that could possibly hack the system and use it for their own purposes (hey how about we target all men in america for prostate cancer? Would take a few months but whoops - or all women's wombs, then they all die out within a generation, whoops)

Etc. This tech is pure insantiy. I am convinced it's intentionally evil. But if I am wrong - and I might very well be - then it can most certainly be put to very evil purpose relatively easily. We are installing a grid of smart directed energy weapons after all, and kinda sorta hoping nobody will put them to use....

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
AT&T is by FAR the worst company I've ever encountered and I'm 70 years old! TOTALLY disfunctional! My switch to Consumer Cellular which offers FAR better custome service and uses the AT&T network is one of the best decisions I've ever made.
But, it's still the AT&T network. Who calls their service provider? Except to ask why the service is so bad. ;)

Reactions: ExAplCarer

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017

You must live in Flatland,USA. Both ATT and Verizon have about equal dead zones by me. Probably 20% completely dead to both companies And each having an additional 20% that is dead to one and not the other. Leaves about 60% completely covered by both. Drive any distance and you cut out completely - even on a main highway. The positive thing is that if you don’t have reception where you are, you can generally find it a ways down the road.

It is NOT uncommon in MUCH of this country to have inadequate or NO cellular reception - even Verizon. I’ve had the issue everywhere I’ve lived and I’ve lived in 3 states. I just don’t ever live too close to a highly populated area.

ironically, I just switched to ATT after years of being told ATT sucked for reception. In reality, I’ve had moderately better, faster reception with MONUMENTALLY better customer service. It’s all situational. But it sucks that they sink this money into 5G instead of bringing the WHOLE country up to 4G (3G at least)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.