Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sacpinplayer

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
4S, grandfathered unlimited data plan, Sacramento.

Was toggled "ON" after a reboot at 1AM this morning. Checked at 1:15PM, now off. Crapola :-(

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Not working for me either, I honestly think AT&T should be fined for this, it is limiting competing services, which is illegal after all.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I just called 611 and I spoke to a representative who informed me that with my unlimited plan it will take anywhere from 8 to 10 weeks from Nov. 9 for FaceTime to be available under my plan. My other option was to change to an unlimited plan for FaceTime to become active right away. I choose to wait and keep my grandfather plan. Hopefully AT&T won't take 10 weeks!

oh really. Isn't that what it said on the original post?

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
was toggled ON after restarting and also hard reset. but after a while it was toggled back OFF.

in Pasadena, CA - grandfathered unlimited iPhone 5

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I think most people aren't waiting for their signal to come back after a reboot. That's when it gets toggled off. Until AT&T acknowledges FaceTime over cellular for everyone, it's not true.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I think most people aren't waiting for their signal to come back after a reboot. That's when it gets toggled off. Until AT&T acknowledges FaceTime over cellular for everyone, it's not true.

Well Mine is on and has stayed on since I discovered this. I have made about 10 facetime calls since. I'm on unlimited i5. My 4S also works and is staying on.

So, it is true.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well Mine is on and has stayed on since I discovered this. I have made about 10 facetime calls since. I'm on unlimited i5. My 4S also works and is staying on.

So, it is true.

Oh I believe it's true for you. It's just odd that it's not true for everyone. :)

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA

So, it is true.

If you turn off your phone now and turn it back on, does it still stay "on"?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
the most likely culprate of this is that someone at AT&T put a setting in wrong somewhere. Most likely New York. It began to replicate to the other servers/towers along the way which is why some people had it and some didnt. Then I am certain that someone at AT&T and saw the error and thats why it seems to have turned off for some now. I just hope they arent dicks about it and realize its their mistake and not put people on plans they didnt agree to.

Jleroy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
It worked for me briefly this morning.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

AT&T appears to be quietly extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular capabilities to all their iPhone customers. Earlier this month, AT&T announced that they would allow any customer "with an LTE device" on a "tiered data plan" to use iOS 6's FaceTime over Cellular feature.

This, however, excluded a number of customers, including those with grandfathered unlimited data plans as well as those with the iPhones 4S. (Note, iOS 6, itself, can only supports FaceTime-over-Cellular on the 4S, 5 and iPad 3rd Gen or higher)

Tonight, Forum user kre62 noticed that both his iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 with unlimited AT&T data plans now support FaceTime over cellular.This finding has been confirmed by a number of users in this discussion thread -- though some users have been unable to activate it so it may still be rolling out to some areas. AT&T had said the original rollout for tiered plans could take 8-10 weeks. Most of the positive responses have been those with the iPhone 5 and grandfathered unlimited data, but the original poster also had luck with an iPhone 4S.

Some users have had to completely restart their phones for the service to go into effect. There still remains a possibility that this is an oversight on AT&T's part. We are reaching out to AT&T for clarification on their policy.

Article Link: AT&T Seems to Be Extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers

I think AT&T is just showing us who's in charge.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
works for me san joee ca area i also had to restart my 4s i have a grandfatherd unlimited data.

tieubao81

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
Sweet!

Success!! This is how I got mine to work...

Tried turning it on... gave me the blue box message.. dial 611 call at&t etc..
Then I turned off my phone (just with the power button) and turned it back on... Tried the switch, nothing! Hard reboot (power button + home button) ... turned on the face time again, nothing. Connected to my home wifi, and hard rebooted again (power button + home button), turned on FaceTime over cellular.. success! Turned off wifi and place 3 facetime calls.

For what it's worth, I'm on the Grandfathered unlimited data, iPhone 5 16GB... Phoenix, AZ.

Hopefully it works for you all... facetime over LTE is amazingly smooth.
Happy thanksgiving all!

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Success!! This is how I got mine to work...

Tried turning it on... gave me the blue box message.. dial 611 call at&t etc..
Then I turned off my phone (just with the power button) and turned it back on... Tried the switch, nothing! Hard reboot (power button + home button) ... turned on the face time again, nothing. Connected to my home wifi, and hard rebooted again (power button + home button), turned on FaceTime over cellular.. success! Turned off wifi and place 3 facetime calls.

For what it's worth, I'm on the Grandfathered unlimited data, iPhone 5 16GB... Phoenix, AZ.

Hopefully it works for you all... facetime over LTE is amazingly smooth.
Happy thanksgiving all!

Sadly, didn't work for me.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Not for me. I even called them after reading this article. They suggested I upgrade to a higher data plan. I have 3gig of data and I barely use 500mb. What a @:?!*#%€'!

geenosr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
South
No go in Atlanta

iPhone 4S--unlimited grandfathered data plan dating back to iPhone 1

I've tried power off, hard resets multiple times, both with the dreaded message screen, both toggling the Settings/General/cellular/FaceTime, and the other Settings/FaceTime/Use Cellular Data. No go on all tries.

I am on Carrier AT&T 13.0 and definitely ready for FT over cellular. Now!

Come on AT&T...you have a LOT of my data money, give us FT over cellular. :mad:

Chris CA

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2007
Not working for me either, I honestly think AT&T should be fined for this, it is limiting competing services, which is illegal after all.
They should be fined for rolling it out earlier than they said they would? And rolling it out for more customers than they said they would?
:confused:

----------

I've got the 4S, but I don't (and won't) have iOS 6. That is, not until Apple comes to its senses and goes back to using Google's map data.
So then you will never upgrade to iOS 6.
Okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.