AT&T Slashes Prices on First-Generation 3G iPads to $429-$529

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
"No Service Commitment. Min. $14.99/mo. Data plan required."

Those two sentences make my brain hurt.

When you add one of these to your order, a popup comes up and shows...

"Tablet or iPad orders require the purchase of an AT&T DataConnect Personal Data Plan. Plans are active for 30 days and automatically renew every 30 days unless you cancel service prior to the start of the 30-day renewal."

So, you can't order one of these w/out adding at least the 14.99 plan to the order. Of course, you can cancel this after the first month.

rmhop81

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Dallas, TX
Well that sure screws my plan to eBay my iPad 1 (32GB AT&T) for $450 - $500 to offset the cost of upgrading to the 2. I'll be lucky to get $400 now.

I may just sit on it for a while until AT&T sells out. Not sure how long that will take.
ebay buyers are pretty slow to catch on to any price drops. ebay it within the week and you should be good.

PstLMac

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Atl GA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or maybe...Minimum... available (required) is a 14.99 Plan for all devices. But you're not required to have a plan at all.

jus407

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Who want's to call AT&T and ask if the DATA plan on the contradictory website is mandatory? I don't because I hate talking to them.

add: In other words, can I buy this with NO STRINGS ATTACHED, no data, no service plan, no chain, no ball.

Who want's to do it? :)
The price for the 64GB is online ONLY. I called my local store to see if I could go pick one up and they said not for that price, the other two are offered in store at the online price.

I just ordered the 64GB online and the data plan is required but the fee is waived for the first month so I ended up with a 64GB 3g iPad with no activation fee and 1 month of free data for $541~

and NO 2 year commitment -all I have to do is cancel my data plan once I get my iPad.

and free 2 day shipping

Last edited:

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
There are no yearly contracts for the iPad on AT&T. What I think is going on is they make you buy a plan for the first month with your purchase. But you should be able to cancel after that.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
clinicalposters.com
"So, you can't order one of these w/out adding at least the 14.99 plan to the order. Of course, you can cancel this after the first month.
This is a pass.
Update the front page to reflect the plan requirements MR.
Thanks.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or maybe...Minimum... available (required) is a 14.99 Plan for all devices. But you're not required to have a plan at all.
I would think if someone was buying a 3G model, (s)he would want to try out the Data Plan for at least a month. Otherwise, the wifi model would be purchased -- $15 is not a deal breaker (and it's waved the first month).

Get one FREE month of 2GB data*
when you sign for 2GB DataConnect Personal Plan for iPad!

*Service free for first 30 days. Maximum $25 credit, which could span two bill cycles.
Overage rates apply for any usage over 2 GB in a bill cycle.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
That's a pretty good deal if you just want a device to browse the web on the train or something.
Also good for businesses that use iPads for menus or hospital staff for browsing patient data. I don't know if educational discounts would beat this price or not, but if they don't, then this could be good for a few schools that might want to use iPads in pilot programs for students.

AT&T should be able to clear out that inventory in short time with the iPad 2 being in short/no supply.

PstLMac

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Atl GA

@KWill....Makes sense!

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
What a curious move (unless Apple follows with their own price cuts). Why dump your stock of something when you don't have a complete inventory of the next thing. :confused: Are iPad 1's just not moving at all and this is a "clear-em out before we REALLY lose our shirts on them" move?

I think you can buy it with the dataplan then just cancel it.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I talked to AT&T. I'll settle the confusion.

You need either:
(a) a new 2 year commitment to AT&T to buy one of these iPads.
(b) extend your current AT&T iPhone/other phone contract 2 years. (The new iPad is put on the same contract plan)

In (a), you're required to pay at least $14.99 per month for that iPad, unless you get another AT&T item on your bill, like a phone, then you can drop the $14.99.

In (b), since you put your new iPad on your AT&T phone account, you can cancel the 14.99 immediately, you just are required to keep your phone plan for another 2 years.

Ok? It's all figured out, but AT&T is playing loose with the terms 'no commitment', while still having a '2 year commitment'.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
They're like crack dealers. When I got my iPad 3G last year I figured I'd try the data service for a month just to try it out. I still have it. :eek:

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
clinicalposters.com
Also good for businesses that use iPads for menus or hospital staff for browsing patient data... for students.
3G may be overkill for restaurant menus but business managers that wish to supply a workforce with iPads are concerned about aggregate cost. When purchasing 10, 50 or 100 units, it's hard to ignore savings up to $300 each.

fo0bar

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
*POSSIBLE* in-store price matching

I just walked out of the AT&T store with a 64GB iPad 3G for $529.

I called the Apple Store and asked if 1) they had originals in stock and 2) if they would price-match AT&T's $529. They had the stock, but the guy said "We don't normally price match clearance items, and that's a lot off. You could try coming down, but it's not guaranteed."

I called the AT&T store and asked the same questions. They had stock, and the woman said "yeah no problem, that's the sale price". I had a feeling she was referring to the $629 price, but the store is literally a block away, so I went down.

After getting a sales rep, I mentioned the price drop, and he said "no, that's $629, isn't it?" I said it literally happened an hour ago. He checked his portal, which shows both stock and web site prices, and did see that while stores showed $629, the web site was $529. He talked with a manager, and the manager decided to give it to me for $529, even though they didn't have to (again, technically they're clearance sale prices).

So it is possible to get the low price in-store, but it's not guaranteed. YMMV. (Also, they don't require you to sign up for the trial plan in-store, whereas you do have to online.)

Last edited:

appleberlin

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Prices of iPad2 in Germany

Just got the information from a local licensed Apple dealer, that the prices for the iPad2 will be the same as the former iPad1 prices. No surprise...

Cheers,nic

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
]Ok? It's all figured out, but AT&T is playing loose with the terms 'no commitment', while still having a '2 year commitment'.
As someone who generally likes ATT, that kinda stinks. Why would anyone extend their phone contract and be locked in when the newer iPhones come out in a few months. OR even the 'bigger' upgrades next year (if Apple follows suit for previous iPhone upgrades). If it were an iPad 2, I could maybe see it. But for an iPad 1 that can be had in used channels for less and no commitment? What a horrible loss leader, IMO.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008

I just got a 64 gb. I have a live chat conversation saved confirming that no 2 year contract is required.

All in all i think it is a good deal

webman2k

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Got a refurb gen 1 16 gig wifi direct from Apple for $350 when they were available. Came in 5 days - like brand new. What a steal that was - they sold out fast.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
I used to think Apple would keep the previous year's low-end iPads around at $100 less. Exactly like they do with iPhone. But things are very different in the smart phone vs. pad computer markets. Plenty of competition in the former, near-zero competition in the latter.

Now I don't think Apple needs to discount old model iPads. They will only do that if it's necessary. If and when there is any serious competition, and only if that competition sells for less than the newest iPad models. And that might never happen.
Uh... They already are.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
jamesgowan.com
Me loves me some Craigslist!

Who wants outdated tech?
Apparently the guy I sold my 1st Gen 64GB 3G iPad to just two days ago for $595! I think I did alright! It was 1 year old, btw! Oh, and had a chip in the antenna! Oops!

Now he got a dock, a jacket, a sleeve and a keyboard but still — I'm feeling groovy! I had the ad up for two hours and it sold! Glad I didn't wait!

Attachments

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Awesome deal

If I didn't have an iPad 1 already I would seriously consider this to hold me over till iPad 3. With iPad 1 this cheap already almost makes me think iPad 3 will come out sooner.
No matter what this is a great deal for kids who don't need all the new stuff, just a eReader, browser, video (Netflix, handbreak, etc).
Add in the older generation, like my mom, the weight difference is not huge, while giving them a machine that will do everything they need. my are way behind in technology so well worth it for people like them.
Now for those who don't have the money for an IPad 2, now lots of people can get an awesome eReader, browser, and tons more. I know many that won't put out the money cause the iPad is expensive, nor do they fully understand how to use their GB's, so now they can have 64 GB without my explaining how to do everything, plus their on Windows which I'm now really bad at these days.
So obviously I think it's a great idea and a very smart move for Apple to own the tablet now too. Smart business if you ask me.