AT&T Slashes Prices on First-Generation 3G iPads to $429-$529

lyzardking

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
The price for the 64GB is online ONLY. I called my local store to see if I could go pick one up and they said not for that price, the other two are offered in store at the online price.

I just ordered the 64GB online and the data plan is required but the fee is waived for the first month so I ended up with a 64GB 3g iPad with no activation fee and 1 month of free data for $541~

and NO 2 year commitment -all I have to do is cancel my data plan once I get my iPad.

and free 2 day shipping
+1

and a leather case for $25

(edit: $18.75, total including one month of 250mb service $547.75)

:)

v2's are gonna be hard to come by for quite some time, this will more than hold me over. I might even wait until v3

Last edited:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Sure glad I sold my used 64GB 3G+WiFi on eBay Instant Sale last Thursday for $551 and bought my new iPad2 the next day!

Lyzardo

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2007
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
No Commitment

Just went to a local AT&T store in the eastern side of the Twin Cities and picked up a 64GB w/3G for $529. They are aware of the price online and matched it at the store without any problems. Also honored the free 1-month 2GB data plan. No commitments. So, I just purchased a top of the line iPad 1 for $30 more than an entry level iPad 2. Good deal.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
I sold my iPad 1 to Gazelle the day before the iPad 2 keynote. iPad 2 was delivered this week and I STILL jumped on this one.

BDD80

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
Wow

Just sold my iPad 1 64 GB 3G for $550 through Craigslist yesterday.
Now I could buy a totally new one for $10 more.

If only my iPad 2 order would ship!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
www.cardomain.com
I just walked out of the AT&T store with a 64GB iPad 3G for $529.

I called the Apple Store and asked if 1) they had originals in stock and 2) if they would price-match AT&T's $529. They had the stock, but the guy said "We don't normally price match clearance items, and that's a lot off. You could try coming down, but it's not guaranteed."

I called the AT&T store and asked the same questions. They had stock, and the woman said "yeah no problem, that's the sale price". I had a feeling she was referring to the $629 price, but the store is literally a block away, so I went down.

After getting a sales rep, I mentioned the price drop, and he said "no, that's $629, isn't it?" I said it literally happened an hour ago. He checked his portal, which shows both stock and web site prices, and did see that while stores showed $629, the web site was $529. He talked with a manager, and the manager decided to give it to me for $529, even though they didn't have to (again, technically they're clearance sale prices).

So it is possible to get the low price in-store, but it's not guaranteed. YMMV. (Also, they don't require you to sign up for the trial plan in-store, whereas you do have to online.)
Thanks. I may try that. Was wanting a white iPad but I think it'll be hard to pass up a 64gb 3G for under $550 with taxes.

diegosilang

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I sold my iPad 1 to Gazelle the day before the iPad 2 keynote. iPad 2 was delivered this week and I STILL jumped on this one.
I sold my iPad 64gb wifi + 3G to Gazelle for $556 a week ago. I'm glad I did coz I checked the site today and now Gazelle lists the same iPad for $328. The price sure dropped really low :eek:

Buck987

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2010
awesome deal....worth the $$$$ savings for the second or two app opening savings

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Makes me feel better about the $590 + bonus code pricing that Gazelle offered me for my used iPad 64GB Wifi+3G.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
So, I just purchased a top of the line iPad 1 for $30 more than an entry level iPad 2. Good deal.
Must ...maintain .. control...
Heck yeah it's a good deal. I already have a v1 16 GB+3G that the wife and kids have constantly. I have a v2 16 GB 3G on order with mid Apr delivery. You're right .. for 100.00 less I could have the top of the line v1. At that price it is almost a reflexive purchase. I don't know if I could really do justice to 64 GB of memory, though. Ugh, that is a sweet price.

IpadEric

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Do you have to agree to contract - Answer

Just to settle the argument. I initiated 5 separate chats and got the same answer on all of them. You do not need to agree to a contract. You need to sign up initially for data service. The first month is a free trial which you can cancel at any time. So no contract but you must at least take the free 1 month trial.

iPad Eric

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.youtube.com
:eek: $529 for the 64GB 3G?! Here in Australia its $579 for just a 32GB WiFi.

I wish we got your US prices and sales. The currencies have been equal for quite some time, but I'm still willing to bet that when the iPad 2 hits Australia, it'll be selling for nowhere near $499.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
:eek: $529 for the 64GB 3G?! Here in Australia its $579 for just a 32GB WiFi.

I wish we got your US prices and sales. The currencies have been equal for quite some time, but I'm still willing to bet that when the iPad 2 hits Australia, it'll be selling for nowhere near $499.
This is $300 off the usual price- hence all the attention.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
We bought my inlaws an iPad 1 less than 2 weeks ago. I called the local applestore, and they are matching the price. I just need to bring the slip in, and they'll refund.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I'm guessing this is up to individual AT&T store managers. I called the closest AT&T store and asked whether the on-line prices applied to in-store purchases. The lady said, "I think they're only for on line, but let me check." She put me on hold for over five minutes, and then came back with, "Okay, it's $529 for the 64 GB 3G model. We have one left." I asked her to hold it for me and said I'd be there in half an hour. When I bought it, she asked if I was interested in the data plan, and I said, "No, I'll probably just activate it when I go on vacations." So she didn't even make me sign up for one month of service. Then the manager came over and said that all cases were 50% off, and that he was trying to clear out all iPad stock as quickly as possible.

I spent part of last weekend running around looking for an iPad 2, without success. The more I read about the differences between the original and the new one, the more I decided they weren't that important to me. I plan to use my iPad to surf the web, watch videos, check email, read books, show photos, listen to music, catalog recipes, and play with basic apps. I have an iPhone 4, and the iPad 2's cameras don't interest me. I'm not a gamer, so the faster processor speed isn't that big a deal. I figure the iPad will still be good at those basic tasks for at least the next couple years. When the Retina iPad comes out, I'll upgrade, and keep this one for recipes and such. So I'm happy.

pterhaar

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Locked?

Anyone know if the ATT ones are locked to ATT or could be used on other networks... (I'm in US next week and would pick one up for use in UK)

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Anyone know if the ATT ones are locked to ATT or could be used on other networks... (I'm in US next week and would pick one up for use in UK)
There is no such thing as "locked" iPad 3G. They are all SIM unlocked from Apple.