AT&T Sued by Sprint for Misleading '5GE' Branding [Updated With AT&T Statement]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

You will soon know them by their new name, T-Mobile.

2. H2SO4 macrumors 601

I never said multimeter, so don't assume cos you know what that means.
    The baseband chip in the iPhone knows what band it is on. How am I a hater, I'm typing this from a Windows box right?

You are incredibly naive if you think Apple are not complicit in this. Incredibly.

3. pspman71 macrumors newbie

It’s not up to Apple it’s a Carror update

4. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

5G E is the new 4G. Apple was so generous that they upgraded my 3G iPhone 4S to 4G overnight. It was really magical.

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

So when 12.2 comes out if you have AT&T are you going to continually call tech support saying that the 5GE isn't faster than the LTE? I sure will =)
    Me: "Hi my phone shows I have 5G E but its speed is the same as when I'm on the LTE network"
    CS: "Oh okay, well 5G isn't available yet, and 5G E just means that your area will be upgraded to 5G"
    Me: "So my phone will work with 5G already? Awesome!"
    CS (Option 1): "Yes sir"
    Me (Option 1): "Liar! No 5G modems are in iPhones yet!"
    CS (Option 2): "No it just means the area will have 5G, your phone won't have 5G as you'll have to have a 5G capable device."
    Me (Option 2): "So you're lying by saying my network is 5G E instead of LTE. That's blatant false advertising, let me speak to your manager."

Rinse, repeat. Eventually they may offer me a new phone right?

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Is it just a carrier update setting and doesn't have anything to do with the rest of iOS or does there need to be something in iOS that supports it (which comes from Apple)? In that sense, couldn't AT&T already be showing it on devices running basically any iOS version then, and not just in upcoming iOS 12.2 (based on the latest beta)?

7. H2SO4 macrumors 601

App Store -
    Apple: If you're going to be using our platform you must follow this rule ".........."
    Dev: Ok, noted. We will do that.

iOS -
    Apple: We want our customers to be getting what they paid for so if you're going to be using our platform you must follow this rule "5G must be 5G and not some other flavour of 4G"
    AT&T et al: OK noted. We will ensure that.

See how simple that is even in your scenario.

8. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Indeed, I agree, I was just pointing out how ridiculous the concept was that someone else made that it's not Apple's responsibility and nothing to do with Apple what appears on the screen of their product.

Of course it does!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    I disagree.
    It's Apple's device.
    You don't feel they have or should have ANY control or say in any image displayed on their screen, irresdpective of how incorect of offensive it was.

How about a NAZI carrier?
    You think Apple would allow an offensive swastika logo appear on their screen?

Nope, we all know they would step in and not allow this.

9. zarmanto macrumors regular

zarmanto

BWAAAAA HAAA HA HA HA!

That's rich! I'm not sure what the folks over at AT&T are smoking, because they're spewing some seriously delusional PR "talking points"! Anyone else suddenly want to conduct a poll of AT&T customers, to see how many real customers agree with AT&T's claims?

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

“Spinners gonna spin spin spin spin.” :D

11. Elyzien macrumors newbie

Elyzien

Finally, Sprint does something correct! Sprint needs to stop AT&T's false advertisement or it may effect their business by misleading customers into thinking they have 5G over Sprint when in-fact AT&T don't. This is what happens when two companies date and then breakup! This is Ex revenge right, here!

12. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

Well when you’re talking frequencies and electrical voltage you would need a multi meter to take those readings. So if what you said is true, you’re comparing a meter to a cell phones network indicator.

How are you so sure Apple is responsible for this?? Do you write their code for reading different LTE bands and networks???

Alrighty then

13. blacksurfer macrumors regular

I was in San Diego last weekend and was surprised to see my Xr displaying 5Ge. The funny part was the service was slow at times.

14. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

Good point, to further it. What does Apple have to gain by showing a 5G cell indicator for AT&T???

15. applebro macrumors regular

applebro

I didn’t say anything about altruism. Are you having a hard time reading or did you quote the wrong post lol

16. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

No. They had hspa+ networks supported by the iPhone which other carriers did not.