AT&T Sued by Sprint for Misleading '5GE' Branding [Updated With AT&T Statement]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. bstpierre macrumors 6502a

You should be discussing this in the Site and Forum Feedback section. ;)

2. cmwade77 macrumors 65816

Actually, they have every right to sue when AT&T's fraudulent practices negatively impacts their sales. And make no mistake AT&T is committing fraud here.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    Actually, low latency is a major part of 5G standards and something that many people absolutely require now.

3. InfoTime macrumors 6502

Makes me contemplate switching to a different carrier, even though I've been an otherwise satisfied AT&T customer since 2007.

4. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Beats me

5. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

Nope, QLED is nothing to do with OLED. It’s a marketing gimmick. The difference is huge, but very specific and has caveats. OLED is better for contrast, mainly. With OLED, every single pixel emits its own light and can be turned on/off so you can have a black pixel (off) next to a white pixel, and the difference is exact. No light bleed, for example, because there’s no backlight. It truly is incredible with content that takes advantage of it. Standard content will still look better than normal but 4K HDR is jaw dropping.

The main caveats of OLED are that they aren’t as bright in general and suffer from image burn. You need to be a little careful not to have the same image on the screen for hours. Technology has improved over the last few years and screen burn is much less likely, but can still happen. Elements like the BBC’s red news ticker are major culprits for screen burn and I wish broadcasters would start thinking about how they place their static elements.

As long as you’re just careful, you’ll be fine. I play games with mine for hours (static UI elements) and mine is fine.

As for the lower brightness with OLED: just turn off all ambient lighting. That’s how you should watch tv anyway! And it’s not *that* low anyway, it’s just not quite as bright as say, QLED. And that’s about the only thing QLED has over OLED. QLED is literally just standard backlit LED.

6. Bin Cook macrumors regular

Don’t you have an advertising standards agency over there? Oh wait, you don’t like gubmint.

7. subcritical71 macrumors newbie

8. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I hope T (merging with Sprint anyway) and Ver jump in to support Sprint in this. AT&T is just causing confusion and lying to customers with this false label anyway.
    Even better when you get the employee family plans. Unlimited Talk/Text/Data, 50 GB Hotspot, and Hulu limited commercials. With Autopay, 2 lines $74 after taxes and fees.

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

I actually like 5GE it tells you what areas have faster speeds and how much expansion is going on

10. Jugney macrumors member

11. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

They are deploying 5G 'Edge' speeds. Now if they can deploy a stronger and wider network, that would benefit the customer, but why would they do that.

12. mi7chy, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Why stop at 5Ge? 7Ge sounds better and it doesn't make AT&T that much scummier.

13. Paulsukhu macrumors newbie

This is still LTE, which is 4G. 256 QAM, 4x4 MIMO and 3-way carrier aggregation (CA)

Claiming connectivity of 5G, 6G, etc. should be regulated going forward or the unethical carriers will always play this game.

14. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Ok, well if I was producing something that was not genuine, in an obvious attempt to mislead the public, and you happily put my misleading sign in your shop window.
    Yet at the same time you promote your shop as a place people can go to get honest details with nothing misleading.

Then I would say you should not allow me to place my misleading advert in your window.
    You should take a stand, and refuse.

The fact than some scummy untrustworthy stores on the same street are putting up my sign should d have nothing to do with you, as YOU are the place people respect for no misinformation.

You should not use the fact other stores are doing it, as an excuse to lower your standards.

15. Khedron macrumors 6502a

This is pure fraud and it's a disgrace that Apple is so complicit in it, helping design the logo with a smaller font for the E to make it as disingenuous as possible
    Because Apple also wants the customers misled

Apple will not have a 5G phone available when other manufacturers will and don't want customers making informed choices

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I’m sorry, but how is Apple complicit?

17. Khedron macrumors 6502a

Apple worked with AT&T to design and implement the 5GE status logo on their phones

They chose to make the 'E' a much smaller font to make it easier to confuse with 5G

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You have proof that Apple worked with them to do so? Or is this just speculation?

19. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

For the sake of a fair market, I hope Sprint wins this. For those of us who understand, we should not tolerate those who would deceive those who don't.

20. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

It appears AT&T is following the 239th Rule of Acquisition.

"Never be afraid to mislabel a product."

21. Khedron macrumors 6502a

22. bliggs macrumors 6502

bliggs

The lawyers will be the only winners on this one....:rolleyes:

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes, I’ve read that. The thing is, it’s also just speculation. The Verge also has no actual proof or evidence of such collusion, and several in their comments also brought up that concern.

Listen, if evidence is presented which actually proves the assertion, I’m happy to acquiesce, but until that time, you have an unsubstantiated accusation, not a fact, as you seem to believe.

24. niji Contributor

niji

i agree with you. it seems as if it would (should) logically be named 4Ge.

but im not clear on exactly what ATT is claiming. the article is not clear.

is ATT claiming that what it calls 5Ge is actually able to achieve 5G standards speed???
    because, in the ATT written statement quoted it says:
    "Customers want and deserve to know when they are getting better speeds."
    end quote
    this statement is patently false since no device on the market is able actually achieve 5G speed so the customer in fact is NOT getting better speed.
    however, elsewhere in the article it says that ATT is only claiming that a 5G speed is available in that market.

its what the icon is meaning: is the icon indicating what the network is actually delivering to that phone, or, is the icon indicating what the network is capable of.

ATT can't have it both ways.
    in the same article there it is claiming both.

25. Khedron macrumors 6502a

So AT&T hacked Apple and snuck their new logo into an iOS update?

Keep believing in Father Tim