AT&T Sued by Sprint for Misleading '5GE' Branding [Updated With AT&T Statement]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. MorphMan macrumors member

Why does Apple (and Android) let carriers do this. There are well defined industry standard names for this stuff just make the phone use them rather than letting the carriers do this ********.

I'm glad it never happened in Australia. 3G is 3G and 4G is 4G.

2. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I support Sprint's position on this, but I doubt the suit itself will succeed. I suspect that AT&T can use whatever marketing term they want for their system... Maybe the hope is that the suit brings enough attention to the issue that AT&T loses some credibility in the market.

Not sure how much credibility they have left to lose.

Their snarky response is at least as shameful as the mislabeling itself. I'm one customer who doesn't love what AT&T is doing.

3. Jack Neill macrumors regular

Jack Neill

I remember when 5.1 came out, my boss thought his 4s was way faster and had gotten LTE with a software upadate...

4. tooloud10 macrumors 6502

This is ridiculous. Even standard LTE isn't actually 4G.

5. applebro macrumors regular

applebro

I will never give ATT a single dollar. That company is absolute garbage in terms of quality of service and morality

6. Bboble macrumors newbie

This is complete crap! While I can't speak to the Android customers, customers on the iOS beta are generally tech savvy, are they not!? Don't most beta software users of the iOS platform know a 5G iPhone does not exist in the wild, yet!?

Now, did Sprint conduct said "survey" on beta consumers, or just, consumers? If I were Sprint's lawyer, I'd be embarrassed to represent this statistic.

7. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

There is no 5G at the moment; the specification hasn't even been ratified yet.

8. confusedpurple macrumors member

Sounds like a downgrade

9. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

Because that part of the cell reception indicator is probably from your carrier. Has nothing to do with Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 ---
    Who is to say that Apple is responsible for the cell network indicator??

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Apple doesn’t design provider logos, that’s from carriers. Back in the day, users could even change it themselves to custom icons.

https://www.cultofmac.com/207903/you-can-finally-change-your-iphones-carrier-logo-without-jailbreaking/

My parents recently switched providers, and when my mom popped in a different SIM, the logo changed. Was this because Apple issued her phone a software update?

As I said before, I’m more than willing to chastise Apple (and “Father Tim” if you’ve jumped on that bandwagon as well) if you have actual evidence that they actively participated in designing or promoting this. However, your accusations and diatribes are thus far, baseless.

11. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Are you suggesting that AT&T wrote iOS?
    Apple will have tested the phone on a network and have known it wasn’t real 5G.
    Apple are moving into modems and even if they weren’t have enough know how to tell the difference.

12. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

So If AT&T uses a logo of a penis, then Apple will happily display it, as it's nothing to do with them?
    Ok, I see

13. Khedron macrumors 6502a

The carrier logo is not the connection type logo. Even in the video you link to it still shows LTE etc.

I'm sure this fact will only make your faith in Tim somehow even stronger

14. macworksgreat macrumors regular

macworksgreat

They will end up sayin 5 Gee we jumped the gun lol

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Your straw man is pathetic. Pearls before swine. Adieu.

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

LOL at 5G. It's going to be a dumpster fire until it's ready for primetime. Massive hype and so much under-delivery.

No wonder Apple is holding back for a bit longer.

17. Onexy macrumors regular

Onexy

18. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Look. I have read your comments for years and I have noticed your tendency to always bash Apple. It’s pretty obvious. While I myself am an Apple fan, I at least do acknowledge that they have done many wrong choices/decisions and their services/product have not always been great. You would sound less bias if you didn’t always try to bash.
    Here on your case, is an example of what I am talking about. You are saying that is Apples fault for the way a countless of mobile operations display their service on an iPhone? Do you even know what you are talking about? What is Apple going to do about it? Ban mobile operators from using their service on an Apple devices? How on earth is this up to Apple? Is not that this is an App on their ApppStore, for which Apple has control over. There are other “big guys” out there who are meant do deal with this kind of “misleading” service info, just like they have already. What is Apple going to do on their unlocked iPhone in which I can put any of the SIM card of maybe thousands mobile phone operators around the world? I tell you what it can do, **** all. But you, rather than blaming the one is is really to blame on this occasion, can’t resist but shift your focus at Apple and once again try to blame them.

19. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Thanks for the reply, and I hope you can please understand I am not Anti any company simply for the sake of it.
    I see amazingly dump things, and decisions I disagree with, and many others disagree with, in all brands of products.
    It does not help anyone's case, Apple in this instance when they choose to stand out for a particular point, and draw attention to this point, and use this as positive marketing, and then don't fully follow thru and keep true to their words.

Is AT&T wrong for trying to mislead the typical consumer, yes, of course, and I hope the courts will find them guilty and force them to stop displaying this 5G logo on something that is not.
    However, that does not mean Apple is correct to allow this to be displayed.

If I run a shop and don't care, and don't use the fact that I do care in my marketing, then it does not matter what rubbish signs I display in my window.
    However if I do promote my store as a place that only tells customers the truth and put myself in a higher moral position to be accurate at all times, then it does made me responsible for putting misleading information on display in my store.

I feel ALL phone companies (which have any self respect) should refuse to do this.
    Apple Especially, as I say, they are making a very public stance on this.

20. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

I live a simple life, others being their drama/mess into it. :p
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2019 ---
    Got to voice the concern, we all know “feedback” lands in the recycling bin or deleted. If it does not benefit the responder :p

21. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

Wow.

I’m talking about the cell network indicator. Not the whole damn phones software.

Smh.
    Some of you people.... wow.

Absolutely no logic or common sense.

22. H2SO4, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

H2SO4 macrumors 601

It makes no difference. Let me exaggerate for you.
    If your utility supplied 100V at 58Hz but your meter knowingly and falsely indicated 110V at 60Hz your loads will probably still work, but the company that make the meter are wrong and know it. This is the position Apple are in.

They are telling you, that the phone is operating on a band that it is not.

They could if they wanted tell AT&T that they would only indicated 5G on the phone when the device is actually connected to a 5G network. Which I'm sure isn't that straight forward but possible.

Man get real, stop defending dishonesty.

23. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

As compared to cell phone Company “_______________” who always and only looks out for the best interest of their customer?!

I curious who you’d insert as the altruistic, generous company in contrast to AT&T.

24. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

Right. My POINT is why and how is Apple responsible for the cell network indicator??? Is there a magic chip inside that it can read every cell network on earth????

Apple must be pretty good then.

A multi meter has nothing to do with software and cell networks so stop trying to sound like a know it all.
    Gotta love all the HATERS, who seriously have nothing to do in the world except bash apple on an apple fan forum.

Pretty sad. You couldn’t catch me dead on an android forum.