Carrier AT&T Tethering on Unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ohio.emt, Jun 15, 2015.

1. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

With net neutrality from the FCC now in effect do you think we will see AT&T allow tethering on unlimited plans? Or will Apple allow tethering apps on the App store again since right now it is illegal for a carrier to block them.

2. imlynxy macrumors 65816

...or Att cancels our UDP? I think t-mo smells something coming, there are strong rumors they discontinue their promo 100 for 2 unlimited line 27th of June. Also they already increased their tethering by 2 Gb every plan to look better in the eyes of FCC

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think ATT is within their right to demand a extra charge for tethering. The new regulations are more about taking control of our Internet

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I doubt AT&T will let UDP users ever tether--without being jailbroken anyway. I don't think that not offering tethering is the same as slowing down data on a plan they said was unlimited. It's a feature.

Not that I wouldn't be thrilled if they did open that up.

5. imlynxy macrumors 65816

No, they cannot. VZW tried this some years ago and FCC sued them.

VZW has to offer free tethering. Since then VZW started agressive policy on UDP users, no discounts on 2-year upgrade, you loose UDP if you accept subsidy. Customers found a way around, they opened additional 9.99 lines and transfer there upgrade eligibility, but not all of them. Now VZW has 15-22 with smartphones on UDP(not official info, I got it from forum, web sites and estimations). Also you cannot buy and transfer account with UDP on VZW, officially buyer should have at least one line with UDP. With Att you still can buy grandfather UDP for the price around 400-450 on eBay.

Att now is in a split situation:

On the one hand if they cancel UDP, they loose customers(rumors that 40-45 percent on UDP, I think a bit less). FCC pressures them to open hot spots on iphones. Apple also don't want to be in the confrontation with FCC, they can allow 3d party tethering apps, OP is correct here.

On the other hand Att physicly cannot allow official tethering, they are not in good shape with their LTE specrum, most of metro areas as of the end of 2014 had only 10MHz. They try to win some time to convert 1900 3g-HSDPA-HSPA to LTE. More and more regions get now LTE 2(some with aggregation, some without). If Att allows tethering officially, I cancel my FIOS , I put more pressure on Att network, but it will be not only me.

VZW and Att are loosing they "steem" right now, one more year and they come to the point of no return to hold customers anylonger. And this is not only about the internet price, but also roaming, vowifi... I think I know the solution for them, but I leave this part to the guys, who make millions and rule the companies. l don't want to give free advices here and may be I'm wrong since I don't have a full picture here.

I want to say here again, that this the info I heard, not verified, not from official sources, may be it is not a true/real info and may be I'm wrong here. I don't work for any of the telecommunication companies.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Looks like they can unless something forces them to change it. I hope they do not as it will only degrade the bandwidth/network. Too many people that will use their UDP for everything and that was not the intention of the UDP. So many who would take advantage and I am betting YOU will be one of them!

7. imlynxy macrumors 65816

This how life it is: Fish is looking for deeper water, man is looking for better life. I'm sure I take advantage of any changes At&t makes in the future :)

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No doubt.

9. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Way too high, probably less than 25%. And declining a bit each quarter. This alleged "problem," like subsidies on two-year contracts, is taking care of itself.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple will not allow such apps on the appstore that mimic/duplicate stock functionality or bypass carriers restrictions.
    You could get unofficial tethering by JB but AT&T will never allow it for free on stock ios.
    Verizon offers it but there's an additional $30 a month fee.

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I wonder if they'll still force UDP users down to limited plans if caught tethering like in the past.

12. macher macrumors 65816

macher

If AT&T offered tethering for let's say $30 a month like Verizon that would be fair.

13. macher macrumors 65816

macher

I believe it's more like 19-20% are on UDP and declining each 1/4.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I agree. It should cost something. They are in business to make money.

15. macher macrumors 65816

macher

The way I see it AT&T shouldn't block tethering but since I view it as a feature I would be OK with a charge.

16. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Your guess is likely; my guess is near-certain. They are not incompatible.

17. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Thanks for correcting me.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hope not but I wouldn't doubt it.

19. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

It would be nice if tethering was included. I might cancel my portable mifi service to save money. I've been using a potrable hotspot since 3G data. I used it a lot when I caried a laptop (pre-iPad days). When the iPad first came out, I upgraded to 4G LTE mifi device. I also used it with my iPhone when AT&T throttled me or data signal was weak in a location. Since the iPhone 6 plus, I don't carry my iPad as often... so I rarely use my Verizon mifi anymore. No need to use it on my iPhone since AT&T changed their throttling policy. I get tempted to cancel my mifi service, but it's nice to have as a back up... especially when I'm in a location where AT&T LTE isn't great. Times and Devices I own has changed the way I use my hotspot... so tethering isn't really a necessity for me.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think they will continue to block it unless you pay. It looks like the FCC is going to force the unlimited plan on ATT, bu I think they have done it anyway. But the tethering is going to cost us.

21. macher macrumors 65816

macher

I'm ok with that.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Pretty sure that VZW still offers tethering only as an extra service that costs more for those in unlimited plans (it's not included in those or is free somehow).

23. lazard macrumors 68000

The only reason Verizon had to offer free tethering was because the C Block of 700 Mhz spectrum they bought from the government came with a provision that they couldn't restrict or deny the use of customers' devices on that spectrum. Of course this only applies to the non UDPs

24. Instapez macrumors newbie

I'm currently jailbroken on iOS 8, iPhone 6, on the UDP with AT&T. Ever since end of April, early May I noticed that I am no longer being throttled after my 5gb cap so I've been using data without a worry. A few weeks ago I started tethering while on the road for two wks but only with my wifi iPad air. I tethered a little over 1Gb (Total data:8Gb) and so far I haven't heard anything from AT&T. I'm using the native hotspot feature on my iPhone.
    Has anyone else taken a shot with tethering?