AT&T to Permit Grandfathered Unlimited iPad Data Plans to Transfer to iPad 2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engadget reports that AT&T has confirmed that it will allow iPad users currently on the company's discontinued unlimited data plan to transfer the plan to a new iPad 2.
    At the launch of the original 3G-capable iPad in late April of last year, AT&T offered an unlimited data plan priced at $29.99 per month. But just a little over a month later, the carrier announced that it was discontinuing the unlimited plan and replacing it with a 2 GB plan priced at $25 per month, with customers reaching the maximum ahead of the end of the billing cycle able to initiate a new $25 cycle at that point. But customers who had already signed up for the unlimited data plan were grandfathered in and permitted to keep that plan as long as they did not let their plan lapse or switch to a lower tier.

Article Link: AT&T to Permit Grandfathered Unlimited iPad Data Plans to Transfer to iPad 2

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

No word on whether you can just switch sim cards or if you have to call AT&T?
    There have been mixed signals from AT&T reps on this

3. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Cool....I'm not getting iPad 2 but its good to know.

4. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

That's nice. How many people does this affect?

5. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

Me for starters :)

6. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

You can put me in that category as well

7. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

So everyone just auto pays the 30/month in fear of loosing it- even if you don't need it, correct?

8. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I auto pay, but it isn't out of fear... but convenience

9. centauratlas, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011

centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

Good news. And, do you get it on both the iPad and the iPad 2? e.g. can you use unlimited on both or are you just limited to one iPad? I'm guessing only one, but I'll just switch it to the iPad 2....however they set that up.

10. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Finally, some good news for AT&T customers? ;)

I wish O2 had done that here in the UK - the unlimited data I had on my iPhone 3G went out the window when I upgraded to iPhone 4...

11. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

This is what competition gives us. So beautiful. :)

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have the unlimited plan but I'm going to drop it as soon as the iPhone 4 Mobile Hot Spot is out on Friday.

I already use tethering for my MacBook so this will save me a few dollars every month.

13. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

If you don't mind me asking- Do you use it that much every month? I.E. you are away from WIFI to justify the usage?

I know it must be worth it to you and many others, I am just wondering if the 360/year is giving you your moneys worth.

14. epb87 macrumors member

Hopefully this will continue to the next iPhone if I ever decide to upgrade my 3GS. It's great to stream video and not worry about going over 2 GB and the fees associated with it.

15. Astro7x macrumors regular

Oh yeah, that bait and switch... makes me even more weary about getting a 3G iPad knowing that the carrier can change the data prices at any time.

16. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

What? You pay a data plan on your iPhone and you also pay a separate data plan on your ipad.

Yes; "so beautiful".

17. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I think that AT&T and Verizon should sell the 3G versions at normal pricing. Like why can they give us a discount? $130 is a lot more for an iPad. a $500 iPad isn't bad. But a 16GB 3G at $630.. it's a lot more. For just 3G!

18. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Awesome news, I just hope they allow this for the next iPad as well.

19. b3beater macrumors member

b3beater

Legacy iPhone unlimited plans towards iPad

I have had the grandfathered data plans on my iPhone(s) and have recently added another phone for my son which they also extended the unlimited plan to. While I have never had an iPad before I was thinking about getting one. Does anyone know if they will extend the grandfathered plan across devices? Thanks all!

20. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Dude, sell it on eBay on macrumors. The unlimited iPad plans can be transferred and people pay in the hundreds for them.

21. cmaier macrumors G5

I fall into the grandfathered category, but I am still getting a Verizon iPad this time around.

1) AT&T may drop the unlimited at any time
    2) I seldom go over 1 GB and only went over 2GB once
    3) Verizon's data plans are much more cost effective given my usage. I can pay $20 a month most months, and my rare overages are not that expensive.
    4) Verizon has better connections most places I go. AT&T's speed advantage is of little help when I can't connect.
    5) I have an AT&T iPhone 4, so having connectivity from each carrier provides some assurance that in moat places at least one devicemwill work
    6) the CDMA disadvantage of no simultaneous voice and data doesn't apply to iPad.
    7) I'm keeping my old iPad for my family, so the plan will live on if I need to use it.

22. Spoony macrumors regular

Sweet! I knew signing up for the unlimited would become a long term asset.

Every work day I stream Pandora over 3g while I read the internet on the way to work. 1/2 Hour train ride NJtransit. ATT is def making less profit off me :)

Now My LA Fitness 38 bucks month is a different story. That is just lighting money on fire.

23. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

No.

You can switch the SIMs out and change the carrier settings. However prolonged usage like this will result, usually, in a block from ATT.

24. cmaier macrumors G5

No they won't. The iPhone plan is different than the iPad plan.