At&t to throttle unl after 12GB confirmed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chestvrg, Aug 3, 2011.

1. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I just spoke with an at&t rep. And he told me that for the new throttling policy, the top 5% of excess data users that have been kept on their "unlimited" smartphone data plans will be throttled after 12GB of usage per month.

Sent from my GT-I9100

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Anddd...it's unconfirmed.

AT&T Reps don't know anything about it. They're at the bottom of the chain, they get their news last. I'm sure we (Online forum-activists) get the information at about the same time as they do.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I doubt this is "confirmed". However, 12 GB of data? WTF does someone do all month to reach that?

4. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

But he went to check with a superior, a supervisor to confirm this.

Sent from my GT-I9100

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What some rep told you on the phone means nothing.
    AT&T reps make up things as they go.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

He probably had to pee. So what he said was "Can you hold on for a second, I need to check with my supervisor on that?" and then went to take a leak. And when he came back, he made it up.

7. itsalexaye macrumors regular

For real, 12GB. They must tether or watch netflix 24/7. When I was on sprint with unlimited I would average between 2-2.5GB of data.

8. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

An example is to stream video, lime YouTube and Netflix can easily pass you beyond 12GB in a month.

Sent from my GT-I9100

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I hit 11gb one month tethering on verizon. I usually average 6-7 a month.

10. Monkey Johannon macrumors newbie

Monkey Johannon

I'm surprised people are still running with any number to be honest with you (whether it 5% or this ambiguous 12GB usage amount)...AT&T's announcement on this throttling fiasco simply pointed out the fact that they took notice of the "heavy users", and then put a figure on it (which equalled around 5%)...

I doubt they'd actually ever officially put a number on it, limiting themselves to such when they could just adaptively change what "high usage" is to satisfy what i'm guessing is their ultimate desire to completely eliminate the unlimited data plans anyways from all users (since it's obviously a monetary plus for them to have the tiered setup).

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So the guy making a buck more an hour than him carrying a title of supervisor somehow has solid info?

Nope.

12. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I do hope is true that the cap will be 12GB, he said his supervisor told him at&t had decided it was the most fare thing to do to grandfathered customers.

Sent from my GT-I9100

13. troop231 macrumors 603

I think people who use that much data are hardcore Xbox Live users. Not sure how much "data" that would be though for an average game.

14. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Can somebody else call at&t and inquired about this to see if they get the same answer, that way we'll know it is true?

Sent from my GT-I9100

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

A month of tethered internet use will easily hit that if you watch any videos...I tried my ps3 tethered once at school and you could watch the mb's count.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It's not true until it is confirmed in a press release/on AT&T's website. Let it go

17. aneftp macrumors 601

Why can't ATT do what other international carriers do.

Impose a hard cap say 5GB and make it all inclusive. Meaning you can use it as a hotspot or on your own phone.

That's the fairest way to control "unlimited data".

By being shady what's "5% of the heaviest users" and "that number is subject to change from month to month" We all won't know what that number will ever be.

In 2011, the majority of people who stream videos/moves probably can use up to around 10GB each month. I wouldn't call it excessive.

The ones they need to go after are the ones using their iphones/smartphones as wireless hotspot to replace their home internet.

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I use my phone as a wireless hotspot. You know, 2011 and still no highspeed and Verizon wont bring it up the road so im going to use my UNLIMITED data for tethering until they decide to run a mile worth of cable. They dont like it? Oh well, I would like to have highspeed in this century.

19. aneftp macrumors 601

You move live in a very small town to not have access to DSL/Verizon FIOS/ or Cable broadband.

Even my mother in law who lives in tiny Tennessee small town has access to Cable broadband.

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I sometimes use my XM radio app and go through .5GB in a day. It's easy to do.

21. tjb1 macrumors 68000

No, it runs on the highway our road connects to...we have even done a petition for it. The power company even put new poles in and Verizon is too damn lazy to come move the phone line to the new pole so the whole way up our road there are two poles side by side. Since Verizon doesnt feel the need to run the new wire after that, I dont feel the need to pay $15 on top of the $30 for only 2gb of tethering.

22. danny_w macrumors 601

All data plans on tmobile are unlimited and slow down after the amount of data you have paid for in the plan (200MB, 2GB, 5GB, etc). Basically all that at&t is doing is implementing what tmobile is already doing. I can sign up for an "unlimited" 200MB plan with tmobile for $10 and use as much data as I want, but it slows down after I reach 200MB.

23. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

I drive a truck for a living, so I play on the internet when I get parked. Between my phone and my aircard I use just over 9GB/month. Aircard is unlimited and iPhone is on the 2GB plan, so which one you think I try and use the most. If they would make the Unlimited plan for iPhones for $45 I would pay it, and drop the air card. I had unlimited on my phone before, but when I lost it I took it off. Had I known they were going to do this BS I would have kept it, until I bought another phone...What a crock. No one likes it, except the few saving on their bill. That's fine, but I don't mind paying a little more, and get the old plan back...If I had it thru my phone it would cost me $105/month for internet. Right now I pay $75/month($60 aircard-$10 for discount and $25 for iPhone, which they won't discount that internet).

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Which is what they should not be doing. AT&T should follow in T-Mobiles footsteps (Cheaper, more customer-friendly, etc), but don't put a limit on unlimited. Yes, technically it is still unlimited, but they could then give it a 64kbps connection and it wouldn't be a breach of contract..:eek:

They should only start limiting users that go over a certain limit (7Gb?) AND when it's busy so other users need the bandwith

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I can talk to Rep A, B, C, D, and all the way to Z and double Z... and I would get as many different responses from them.

Goes to show, there is no exact answer on how much AT&T considers top 5%.