Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
What kind of Boondocks do you people live in that there isn't an AT&T store nearby?

Lylyluvda916

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I ordered my phone on the 19 of September but didn't receive it until the 19th. I got the estimated value through a text message. It does show an expired date. It since then has passed but I did not have my phone.

Would I still qualify for the $200 trade in for my iPhone 4 if I show that I purchased it during the time it was offered?

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
What kind of Boondocks do you people live in that there isn't an AT&T store nearby?

The issue for me wasn't that there isn't a store nearby it was the email they sent. The first thing you see is "mail your device in" so I printed the label and mailed it in. If they would have put on the 1st page - Option 1 - Bring your device to an AT&T store or Option 2 - Mail it in, I don't believe anyone would think mailing it in would be the best choice.

dgextreme

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
I order my phone on Sept 19th, and it just shipped over the weekend. How long after the shipping confirmation email did you get the trade-in promotional email?

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I ordered my phone on the 19 of September but didn't receive it until the 19th. I got the estimated value through a text message. It does show an expired date. It since then has passed but I did not have my phone.

Would I still qualify for the $200 trade in for my iPhone 4 if I show that I purchased it during the time it was offered?

I highly doubt it, but you have nothing to lose by asking. Last weekend the going offer from AT&T for a 4s was $100, so I'm not sure what they would give for a 4.

dgextreme

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
If you ordered it online, check your email you should have received an email from att which allows you to get the $200 credit. My phone shipped on Saturday and I got the email with the code about an hour ago.

hasek3139

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
Why would you guys trade in to ATT or any carrier? They gave you way less than the phone is worth. Gotta use ebay or craigslist , you WILL get more. Two friends sold theirs on ebay after getting quotes form ATT. One was in iPhone 5 with cracked screen... ATT offered $57 he got $190 after fees on ebay. The other sold a great condition 5s on ebay for $360 after fees, and att offered $220

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Why would you guys trade in to ATT or any carrier? They gave you way less than the phone is worth. Gotta use ebay or craigslist , you WILL get more. Two friends sold theirs on ebay after getting quotes form ATT. One was in iPhone 5 with cracked screen... ATT offered $57 he got $190 after fees on ebay. The other sold a great condition 5s on ebay for $360 after fees, and att offered $220

Because the promotion was 4, 4S, 5 for $200 and the 5S was $300. If you ordered before 9/31, you can still get the promotion trade in value even if you received it after 9/31. T-mobile was matching ATT and giving $50 more on top of that. I can understand selling it for more if you missed the promotion.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA

A 4S for $200 was about 2X as much as they were selling for on eBay.

dgextreme

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
Got my trade-in email last night. Waiting for the phone to arrive later today, and then off to the AT&T store to get $200 for an old iphone 4s. :)

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I tried to trade in my iPhone 4 at corporate AT&T store, they said they cannot accept the trade-in until I get the IMEIs off my new 6+'s.

Another question: Can you trade in multiple phones? Or is it one trade-in per line?

dgextreme

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
I tried to trade in my iPhone 4 at corporate AT&T store, they said they cannot accept the trade-in until I get the IMEIs off my new 6+'s.

Another question: Can you trade in multiple phones? Or is it one trade-in per line?

They told me the same thing, if you have received your phone and activated it, just ask them to look it up based on the phone number for the line that was upgraded. The rep had to do a bit of digging but was able to find the IMEI in the system. Walked out of the store with the $200 card.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I tried to trade in an iPhone 5 on Monday at a corporate AT&T store, and they told me that I'd have to spend 50% of the trade-in money on accessories. :mad:

FWIW, it says this at the bottom of the current iPhone page:
"Limit 5 trade-ins per 12 months may apply."
http://www.att.com/wireless/iphone

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I was under the impression that we could just trade in our old phones (iPhone4S) in my case at the AT&T store once the new one comes in (maybe in the next millennium....). At least that's what the guy at the AT&T store told me.

That's what I did. Ordered 6+ on pre launch day plus 30 minutes online. Got 6+ four weeks later along with e-mail about sending in 5s for $300 trade in.

Decided to take 5s to ATT corporate store. Took five minutes, got my $300 gift card. Decided to pay phone bill at store kiosk. Whole thing took like under ten minutes.

Phone should be erased and iCloud lock removed. Must turn on and not have cracked screen. Cosmetic damage ok, I had anodized rubbed off from use on back and chipped edges bezel. Didn't even look at that. They check your account to see if new phone is activated and when you ordered. That's it

Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I tried to trade in an iPhone 5 on Monday at a corporate AT&T store, and they told me that I'd have to spend 50% of the trade-in money on accessories. :mad:

FWIW, it says this at the bottom of the current iPhone page:
"Limit 5 trade-ins per 12 months may apply."
http://www.att.com/wireless/iphone

Phone and email corporate and report them. No such 50% accessory requirement. They LIED. Are you sure was corporate store and not ATT private reseller? I went further distance to use official corporate store.

Last edited:

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Phone and email corporate and report them. No such 50% accessory requirement. They LIED. Are you sure was corporate store and not ATT private reseller? I went further distance to use official corporate store.

+1 sounds like a third-party store.

Third party stores would look something like "AT&T by XYZ Wireless".

XYZ wireless in TINY letters :)

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
Ok I knew something was wrong! :(

I'm on the same boat, I sent mine in on 9/30 after printing out my $200 promo card. Still haven't seen anything in the mail.

dsciel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
I mailed mine on 10/7/2014.... long way to go and not showing as received yet.

Received the card today!!! $200 in full for my iPhone 4 and used it full immediately towards the bill!!

my second device mailed on 10/22 and the card also came in today, which is a week ahead my first device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.