AT&T Unlimited Data Plan - How much data do you use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Depends on what carriers throttling you're talking about.
    On T Mobile is painful and very much useless cause they throttle it at 128 kbps speeds.
    On AT&T its at 0.5mbps and with fast latency on LTE you can pretty much do everything from browsing, to audio and video streaming fine.

2. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I'm talking about AT&T. There's times that the speed will go lower than 0.50Mbps and that's when it gets really bad. It's tolerable due to the low latency but if you leave an LTE area it's not fun at all.

3. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Does AT&T throttle you at exactly 5GB all the time? Because I'm at 6 right now and still have yet to be throttled.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I see.
    For me it never leaves LTE cause all around where I live I'm covered.
    But I suspect if you go down to 4G HSPA+ then it might slow down.
    I can live with 0.5mb throttled speeds as long as I don't have to pay any overages:D

----------

Not always.
    It varies at times, location, congestion etc...
    Sometimes they hit me exactly after 5gb.
    Other times I go a few extra GB's on full speed then throttled.

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Yup - 20GB for my wife and I is plenty. She usually uses about 2 and I fall in anywhere from 6-12 depending on how much I've traveled. I have 2 phones plus a tablet that I tether to.

6. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Don't have the unlimited plan, but I rarely go over 3-4GB on my iPad. Sometimes I stream YouTube, but that's about it.

Well, I do stream Spotify constantly on Extreme Quality, but I'm on T-Mobile where that's free.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

10-15GB. Glad I don't have to worry about throttling.

8. iMas70, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not home when I'm doing this so no WiFi for me.

I occasionally think about giving up my Unlimited plan but it's not worth it. I pay $120.00 with taxes per month for that and a 5GB plan for my iPad. This includes a 23% FAN discount. I use anywhere from 1-5GB on the iPad. AT&T lists my 3 month average usage at 6.42 and peak at 9.9GB for the two devices. The 10GB plan is $150.00 ($100.00 + $40.00 + $10.00). I believe the FAN discount would only apply to the $100.00 data portion of the 10GB plan so I'd be looking at $133.00 with taxes. I'd pay more for the same data and then an extra $15.00 for every GB after that. All this and I get the subsidized phone price every 2 years.

Today finished this month's billing cycle. I used just over 8GB. Most of that was from streaming YouTube videos while I was out for a few days this week. Don't know if I'll try that for the full month next month or just go back to Pandora/iHeart Radio. I can get by being throttled but it's very noticeable slower.

9. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I don't have unlimited data but I currently have 20GB with 10GB of rollover data taking me to around 30GB of data. Consistently, since I have around 10GB of data left over, I usually use 8GB-10GB. I do sometimes tether to my retina MacBook Pro when I am in class at college since my data is faster than school wifi. Other than that though I do stream a lot of music with Pandora and Beats Music and I watch some YouTube from time to time. But other than that I'm pretty invested in web browsing and social media.

10. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

AT&T "Unlimited" plans are a joke. Being throttled at 5GB, AT&T users may as well go to Cricket. At least they'll have a cheaper bill.

11. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

They haven't been throttling me at 5GB for 3 months now. Its been better but still not perfect.

12. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

Didn't get throttled... (knocking on wood)

13. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I average about 5-6GB's/month all thanks to spotify.

14. jweinraub macrumors 6502

jweinraub

My ISP does too and they are literally everywhere I go. However, the connection is pure rubbish and I get much better speeds on LTE anyway.

So to answer OP's question, I do maybe 2-3 GB on average and if I am out and about more, I will do about 5-10.

I am however considering cancelling XM and once I do I will use Pandora or similar exclusively and I may really go up.

Has anyone not receive any more notices about nearing the 5 mark? I got one, but every time since I haven't, yet I am still throttled. I already filed a complaint with the FCC and got a standard form answer where AT&T is supposed to respond (they haven't, and told FCC and they didn't respond back). I am hoping the FTC can do something about it.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I didnt get throttled till I hit 8gb last month.
    And even at 0.5mbps I can still use everything fine and never pay an overage.
    A joke is going over your plan and having to rack up extra charges and fees to your phone bill.

16. ynotrhyme macrumors member

ynotrhyme

I'm at 7GB (have 13 days left of cycle) and still haven't been throttled. Has the FCC battle finally stopped throttling? I sure hope so, cuz I'm dying to change carriers over this throttling crap! guys let me know if yall still getting throttled.

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

18. macher macrumors 65816

macher

My opinion is most make throttling worse than it really is. Yes it's not good but it's not that bad. I can easily load YouTube videos and use FaceBook etc. Yes it's slower to load but it's not like 'holy crap this totally sucks and I can't use my iPhone'. When you're throttled you still should get low LTE pings(I do). With the low pings my iPhone still feels like it works.

19. ynotrhyme macrumors member

ynotrhyme

You are insane

20. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

He is right. As I mentioned in the original post, I've found the same thing. I continued to stream YouTube and use Facebook without a problem. Noticeable slower but it works. I wouldn't want to use it like that all the time though.

We all like faster speeds but at what point do you not notice it unless your downloading large files?

21. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I had unlimited data, then added another line dropped the unlimited data and made it the 10GB shared data. Then during a promotion, I got them to double the data to 20GB. Now with rollover data for AT&T I have around 30 to 35GB of data a month for the price of 10GB. So basically unlimited with no throttling and tethering.

22. sk2sep2304 macrumors regular

sk2sep2304

3-6GB

I would paying the same for 2GB at $30 with Att so no second thinking here.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Att rollover data expires after a month.
    And 2 lines sharing 20gb a month is not unlimited.
    You can still rack up overages by watching movies or videos away from wifi.

24. macher macrumors 65816

macher

I agree it's slower loading YouTube and using Facebook. Like I said before it's not that horrible like 'this sucks' or 'I can't stand this'. I only notice it if I want to notice it. People I know don't notice it and/or don't make comments about it.

25. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

That may be the case but the two lines rarely every go over 5 gb a month, so we basically have 35 each month with the rollover. Nonetheless it is technically not unlimited.