AT&T Unlimited Data Plan - How much data do you use?

macher

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2012
I had unlimited and was determined to keep it.... BUT it didn't make sense and switched to a family plan and am saving overall.

Hmmmm you use 2-4 yet pay for 50......and that makes sense to you?

----------

[/COLOR]

You're still getting what you're paying for..... you're not guaranteed speed.

----------

No it's unlimited.... carriers don't guarantee speed only unlimited.
AT&T is suppose to stop the current throttling practice and implement network management.

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
On a negative note, I'm starting to use more data and I'm getting throttled with more time remaining until next billing cycle and it's starting to bother me. Never bothered me before cause I would get throttled with less than 5 days left. Hopefully the rumor is true that AT&T will stop it's current throttling practice and move to network management.
What exactly have you heard they're going to do? I'm curious and doing a lot of research lately about the throttling lawsuit because it effects me so much.
My normal speeds are consistently close to 40 mb down, and when I get throttled it's down to .5 and sometimes down to .4 which is painfully slow. It's always right at 5 gb exactly, and I normally only use about 10 per month.
I've always wished they would show a little respect and change that policy to something a little more usable like 2 mb down. At least for those of us who aren't abusing it. Which this billing cycle I'm at 7 now and it has been between 2-10 mb down. Which is giving me some hope that they are going to make some changes.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm sort of in the same boat. Same discount. We have a family plan and each line gets the discount on unlimited data. The Mobile Share plans we could save some money. Looking at our data usages we could save roughly $40/month if we switched to Mobile Share.

For me $40/month isn't significant because like you I feel data usage most likely will increase. 3 of the 4 lines goes over 5GB every month and 1 line uses 3GB. So we use AT LEAST 20GB a month total. The 20GB Mobile Share plan with 4 device access charges like I said is $40'ish less than what we are paying now for our 4 line unlimited data on each line family plan.

The only thing I can see that Mobile Share plan offers is mobile hotspot. We have never been in a situation where we needed or wanted to use a mobile hotspot.

A big difference also is we still get 2 year contract upgrades at subsidized pricing, but there's a rumor that this is going to change with AT&T. Not sure if this will affect grandfathered plans.

On a negative note, I'm starting to use more data and I'm getting throttled with more time remaining until next billing cycle and it's starting to bother me. Never bothered me before cause I would get throttled with less than 5 days left. Hopefully the rumor is true that AT&T will stop it's current throttling practice and move to network management.
I hear you.
If you're around 20gb now it would not be wise to go with a 20gb share plan cause every time you go over even by a little you will pay an overage. And like you said the 4 lines full subsidy is nice. I doubt they will completely stop them, I believe it will still be an option.
And hopefully with the new rules they will settle down on the throttling practices and only implement it on busy times during peak times use.
We'll see. I like the peace of mind never having to pay overages.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I do the normal e-mail/Facebook and surf the web along with stream music though apps like Pandora and iHeart Radio. I'll use 3-5GB most months. Streaming through this apps doesn't use much data. I swapped over to YouTube yesterday. Used it for about 4.5-5 hours. That ate up 3GB so it brought my monthly usage up to 5.5GB. Of course a speed test showed that I was being throttled. No problem using YouTube though. Did it again today and am up to 7.5GB. If I do this a few days each week for a month, I'd easily be up to about 40GB.

I can definitely tell that connections and downloads are slower at .5 Mbps but it's not unusable.

depends on what kinda youtube you watch. .5mbps is definitely not enough for HD streaming. i doubt it would even be enough for high-quality spotify stream (which is 320kbps, i.e. 0.32m)

----------

if you use more than 20g a month on a regular basis, have you considered to switch to Tmobile, or buy a version unlimited plan? they are truly unlimited, they don't throttle you no matter how much you use. (well, verizon throttles sometimes, but it's not really throttle, it's more like a QOS setting, just you get lower priority then others)

i mean the ATT's plan isn't really called 'unlimited'.

macher

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2012
depends on what kinda youtube you watch. .5mbps is definitely not enough for HD streaming. i doubt it would even be enough for high-quality spotify stream (which is 320kbps, i.e. 0.32m)

----------

if you use more than 20g a month on a regular basis, have you considered to switch to Tmobile, or buy a version unlimited plan? they are truly unlimited, they don't throttle you no matter how much you use. (well, verizon throttles sometimes, but it's not really throttle, it's more like a QOS setting, just you get lower priority then others)

First AT&T is suppose to stop the current throttle practice. Second being throttled for me I can't notice a significant difference compared to not being throttled.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
First AT&T is suppose to stop the current throttle practice. Second being throttled for me I can't notice a significant difference compared to not being throttled.

yeah, ATT may be 'supposed' to stop, but who knows. if you have UDP already, maybe hang on a little bit and see, if not, don't buy a ATT plan, at least not for now.

if you don't feel the difference, then good for you. I'm just saying that its actually 'limited'. and it's not like 40mbps vs 100, the difference will certainly affect the quality of video streaming, there's just simply not enough bandwidth for HD video.

macher

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2012
yeah, ATT may be 'supposed' to stop, but who knows. if you have UDP already, maybe hang on a little bit and see, if not, don't buy a ATT plan, at least not for now.

if you don't feel the difference, then good for you. I'm just saying that its actually 'limited'. and it's not like 40mbps vs 100, the difference will certainly affect the quality of video streaming, there's just simply not enough bandwidth for HD video.
I have an iPhone 6. Yes there's a difference watching video when throttled compared to not being throttled. Like I said it's not significant for me. And if I'm going to watch HD video anyqay I'll watch it on a much larger screen.

Last edited:

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA

----------

It's rare that I use more than 5GB on my phone or more than 10GB total (phone and iPad) but I've noticed my usage has been higher. I've been with AT&T for many years. Being throttled is my only complaint. I tried watching Netflix while being throttled this morning. Very noticeable difference. Picture quality isn't great and it took awhile to get it to play. Another thing was when I was on one of my credit card websites yesterday. It would take awhile to connect and time out sometimes. Jumped over to my iPad to take care of what I wanted to do.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I have an iPhone 6. Yes there's a difference watching video when throttled compared to not being throttled. Like I said it's not significant for me. And if I'm going to watch HD video anyqay I'll watch it on a much larger screen.
if you are happy with the throttled speed, good for you :)

just saying no matter what, it's throttled, not truly unlimited.

----------

It's rare that I use more than 5GB on my phone or more than 10GB total (phone and iPad) but I've noticed my usage has been higher. I've been with AT&T for many years. Being throttled is my only complaint. I tried watching Netflix while being throttled this morning. Very noticeable difference. Picture quality isn't great and it took awhile to get it to play. Another thing was when I was on one of my credit card websites yesterday. It would take awhile to connect and time out sometimes. Jumped over to my iPad to take care of what I wanted to do.
yeah, it's not really unlimited. there's still lots of restrictions.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
if you are happy with the throttled speed, good for you :)

just saying no matter what, it's throttled, not truly unlimited.

----------

yeah, it's not really unlimited. there's still lots of restrictions.
Its not as bad with AT&T since its only down to .5mbps. With Tmobile is 126kb, that would drive me nuts:D
Technically it is unlimited still since you don't have to pay anything extra and you cannot go over any set amount of data.
Data is unlimited, speed is restricted or slowed down after a certain amount.
Hope with the new rules it becomes a little less restricted.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
My LTE signal strength isn't great at home. It isn't bad when I'm not throttled and on WiFi. Just checked my speed off WiFi. It's .14 Mbps. That's with 2 bubbles (-100 in field test mode). Painfully slow.

I think I'm going to put an end to this month's experiment and go back to using Pandora/iHeartradio. Currently at 8.2GB for the week. You don't have to repeatedly throw me into ice water to know that it won't be a pleasant experience.

macher

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2012
Its not as bad with AT&T since its only down to .5mbps. With Tmobile is 126kb, that would drive me nuts:D
Technically it is unlimited still since you don't have to pay anything extra and you cannot go over any set amount of data.
Yep. I'm only a 15GB pace this month. I'm throttled but I'm not paying overages.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
9.4GB so far only half way through my billing cycle.

I'm out a lot and stream music constantly. If I'm throttled its not bothering me any as I'm still able to do what I want. Better that than having to worry about going over my limit.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014

well, your high speed data is not unlimited.
at least Tmobile and other made that perfectly clear, not just simply 'unlimited'

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
The data amount its still unlimited. Without limit correct?
And faster than T Mobile's throttled speed when throttled.
unlimited data. arguable yes, after all ATT has such a legal team behind its names.
but having that said, there are so many kinds of unlimited data, some are truly *unlimited* data, some are just *unlimited data*.
also, i guess every plan, data, text, minutes can be called 'unlimited', just maybe 'unlimited domestic text', but unlimited. 'unlimited data', but only 2G. 'unlimited calling', but you gotta pay unlimited fees for that. these are all un-limited right?

also, comparing ATT's speed and Tmobile's, its irrelevant to the issue unlimited. because TM has truly unlimited ***LTE*** data, i guess it's 50 or 60 for everything. you will NOT be throttled, so why use the throttled speed in comparison?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
unlimited data. arguable yes, after all ATT has such a legal team behind its names.
but having that said, there are so many kinds of unlimited data, some are truly *unlimited* data, some are just *unlimited data*.
also, i guess every plan, data, text, minutes can be called 'unlimited', just maybe 'unlimited domestic text', but unlimited. 'unlimited data', but only 2G. 'unlimited calling', but you gotta pay unlimited fees for that. these are all un-limited right?

also, comparing ATT's speed and Tmobile's, its irrelevant to the issue unlimited. because TM has truly unlimited ***LTE*** data, i guess it's 50 or 60 for everything. you will NOT be throttled, so why use the throttled speed in comparison?

It's pretty relevant cause T-Mobile has truly unlimited and many throttled unlimited plans too.
But then throw in the equation coverage of LTE that comes into play and that is where T-Mobile is way behind compared to att and Verizon.
So there are trade offs.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
It's pretty relevant cause T-Mobile has truly unlimited and many throttled unlimited plans too.
But then throw in the equation coverage of LTE that comes into play and that is where T-Mobile is way behind compared to att and Verizon.
So there are trade offs.

ok, we were talking about term 'unlimited' plan, not if it's better than TM or VZW. even if ATT has coverage all across the world or even on the moon, it doesn't qualify the plan as 'unlimited' plan.

sure, if you see ATT superior than TM, go for it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
ok, we were talking about term 'unlimited' plan, not if it's better than TM or VZW. even if ATT has coverage all across the world or even on the moon, it doesn't qualify the plan as 'unlimited' plan.

sure, if you see ATT superior than TM, go for it.
Correct. It was about unlimited but there's nany other variables to consider when it comes to choosing a Carrier.
What good is unlimited if there is no coverage?

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
www.chtsi.uk
Unlimited is great if you use it, but silly to keep because of what might happen in the future. Gave it up about a year ago and it's about a $700/yr savings. Plus, plan limits keep going up. Again, if you use a lot of data it's great, but be real and do the math.
In the UK some carriers don't give the option on an IPhone plan it's unlimited or ridiculously low and the unlimited plans are a rediculous price but we pay it.

macher

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2012

For me it's about coverage. AT&T has better coverage.

I'm throttled currently. Earlier I watched some stuff on HBO Go app on throttled LTE with no problem. Techies think I'm nuts cause I don't think the quality is that bad.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I still have the unlimited plan, and only use about 4GB a month. Works out cheaper for me just to keep it. For $120 a month I have my iPhone & parents basic phone with 450min, 1000txts, and unlimited internet on the iphone. Also included in that price is my unlimited iPad plan. The 450min is basically unlimited for me since I don't talk on the phone much, I'm maxed on my rollover minutes. With imessage I don't go over my texting limit.

chevy57

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
Until now, AT&T customers who used 5GB of data in a single monthly billing period were throttled for the rest of the month at all times, receiving barely usable service, despite paying for "unlimited" data. AT&T is facing a lawsuit from the Federal Trade Commission over the practice and has denied wrongdoing, but it promised that it would change the policy to make it more lenient before the end of 2015.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/att-finally-ramps-down-throttling-of-unlimited-lte-customers/

:(

T0MMYBOY4

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
Testing it now

I'm testing it now (using as much data as possible) to see if I still get throttled. I'll report back in a few days.