AT&T Unlimited Data Plan - How much data do you use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Mar 24, 2015.

1. berniefl36 macrumors regular

I am at 7 gb now on an unlimited plan and have NOT yet been throttled,, so far so good,, I have about 3 days left before my new cycle,, I'm happy so far

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have 35gb for example every other month. Cause the rollover data expires after a month and you go back to the 20gb limit.
    Right now you don't go over 5gb for example but you never know if in the future you will have the need for it.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but I think as time goes things will become way more data intensive and also your viewing habits might change while away from wifi.
    Always nice to have the security knowing if you give your phone to your kid to watch youtube videos you wont get a crazy bill next month.

4. AFDoc, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

AFDoc macrumors 68030

I had unlimited and was determined to keep it.... BUT it didn't make sense and switched to a family plan and am saving overall.

Hmmmm you use 2-4 yet pay for 50......and that makes sense to you?

----------

[/COLOR]
    You're still getting what you're paying for..... you're not guaranteed speed.

----------

No it's unlimited.... carriers don't guarantee speed only unlimited.

5. PCtoMAC1 macrumors 6502

PCtoMAC1

About 5-10gb per month. Unlimited data here and not even thinking about getting rid of it. I enjoy the safety of knowing that I won't be paying overages.

6. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

Still on unlimited, still on my iPhone5.
    avg. use is 5GB mo., mostly streaming iTunes Match/Spotify.
    Have 2 other phones on the acct.
    300MB data plan on a iPhone 4S.
    3GB data plan on a iPhone 5c.
    $186 mo.

(WTF am I still paying $15 for the iPhone 1500 text plan??? Can I ditch that?)

*BUT*
    Thinking about switching all to the 10GB Family plan to save $30.
    Tough to ditch the "unlimited", espec. with the FTC legal challenge currently underway.

7. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

It will be interesting to see how that turns out. Maybe unlimited will finally become unlimited and not throttled.

8. CurvedParker macrumors newbie

Between my wife and I it's closer to 10 lately as I've been doing more tethering, so yes...yes it does.

9. Yardman1977, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

Yardman1977 macrumors member

Dont switch...gotta keep those subsidies and that 1 unlimited line..
    Call retentions..tell them to switch u to the family talk nation 550 rollover plan....59.99 for 2 lines...9.99 for 3rd line...3 lines max...tell them you need to cut costs and to switch u to 20.00 family messaging unlimited...not the 30.00 plan that is standard....we are allowed to switch our grandfathered plans over to other grandfathered plans....retentions only cud do this.....make sure u tell them to keep the current data plans as they are...and make sure they know what the hell theyre doing too....ask them if theyve personally done something like this before..dont let them talk u into mobile share.....if u need tethering then switch that 300 meg line to 50 buck data pro 5 gig with tethering plan...about 40 bucks after fan discount...if u need the tethering then u gotta switch phone numbers with the person that has that tethering plan .....our unlimited plans soon wont be throttled at 5 gigs...it will be by tower congestion....

10. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I usually stream music through Pandora or iHeart Radio a few days each week. My new billing cycle started yesterday so I'm going to see how much I'll use by only using YouTube. Yesterday's usage was 3.8GB. I'm guessing that it will at least be 50GB by the end of the month.

11. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

How do you use that much data on an AT&T unlimited plan?

12. HDFan macrumors 65816

Last month I was throttled at 10 GB with no warning. Tidal and (and soon Vox lossless streaming of my own library) gets me there very quickly.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I don't eat too much data, I probably do around 3GB.

14. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I stream music during the day. Usually it's Pandora and iHeart Radio. This month I'm just going to use YouTube. Most of the performances that I listen to are 1-2 hours long.

15. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think I know the answer to this but want to confirm. We use less data while doing the same things when we're throttled. I used 3.8GB on Monday. I streamed YouTube for roughly the same amount of time on Tuesday (maybe longer) but only used 2.2GB. Today was about 2 less hours less but I used a little less than .8GB. Much slower speeds so we'll use less data when we're throttled. If that's the case and I keep using YouTube until this billing period ends, I'll only use about 20-25GB.

16. macher, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

macher macrumors 65816

macher

Same here. On the 1st of our billing cycle our cable went out and I watched ESPN on Xfninity app and fell asleep. I ended up using 3.5GB in 1 day! I'm currently throttled with a lot of days left. I was throttled last month.

I read if you get throttled 2 months in a row AT&T 'flags' your account? Prior months there were times I wasn't throttled until 7GB.

It sort of doesn't bother me that I get throttled. It would bother me less if upped the throttled speeds to 1Mbps down, maybe 2Mbps. 1-2Mbps in my opinion is decent for the average person. .50Mbps to me is a little too low.

Hopefully the network management FTC suit will take place. I've read that it might happen sometime in May?

17. Paco II macrumors 65816

Unlimited is great if you use it, but silly to keep because of what might happen in the future. Gave it up about a year ago and it's about a $700/yr savings. Plus, plan limits keep going up. Again, if you use a lot of data it's great, but be real and do the math.

18. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Recently switched from Unlimited Plan on att to a mobile share plan two months ago. I called and told them i'm only switching if I can pay the 15gb price and double to 30 like they were doing before they told me Yes. Needless to say I had 23gb of rollover data this month.

19. 0970373 Suspended

I had that unlimited plan since the 3GS and gave it up & moved to TMO when the 6 came out. I looked at my usage in the past year and it averaged less than 2gb a month. Most times, less the 1gb. It wasn't worth it to me anymore. I'm around WiFi all the time and now I can tether which has come in very handy! I am on the unlimited data plan on TMO, but only because of the promo. When it's over, I will likely just move to the 3gb plan. Even if you go over 3gb, it's not extra, just slower. But really, rollover data should take care of that now. And music streaming apps don't count against your data.

But I think you really need to look at your personal habits and see what is right for you. The other poster is right. You really can't base it on what may or may not happen in the future.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My unlimited data with FAN discount is $22.50 a month.
    I wont save anything by switching to another plan and I use plenty of it mostly going over 5 GB's every month.
    And I know my use most likely will increase in the future not decrease.

21. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Im not in the US, but my monthly usage is somewhere between 500mb - 3GB. I find that my usage primarily depends on the amount of music/ podcast streaming I do each month, many apps I use also need data connections (such as my TomTom app).

22. Paco II macrumors 65816

You pay $22.50 per month for your phone bill? Well you are not the typical use case.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, instead of $30 for the data portion I pay $22.50 and also the rest of my plan is cheaper due to a good fan discount to my account.

24. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have a FAN discount also so it's not worth it for me to give up the Unlimited plan. I've had AT&T reps tell me the same thing. I pay a total of $121.00 for Unlimited on my phone and 5GB for my iPad. And then the normal unlimited talk/text and taxes.

I think I'd consider giving it up for a higher shared data plan. Maybe something like what applefan022 mentioned (pay for 15GB and get 30). Just checked AT&T's website. That wouldn't be worth it because I'd still be paying more. 15GB is $180.00 ($138.60 after the discount) and then add in the device charges and taxes. AT&T current shows my current usage (average and peak) to be 6/9GB. So there really isn't any better option for me unless the prices come down substantially. I doubt that will happen. It's all about the data.

25. macher, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

macher macrumors 65816

macher

I'm sort of in the same boat. Same discount. We have a family plan and each line gets the discount on unlimited data. The Mobile Share plans we could save some money. Looking at our data usages we could save roughly $40/month if we switched to Mobile Share.

For me $40/month isn't significant because like you I feel data usage most likely will increase. 3 of the 4 lines goes over 5GB every month and 1 line uses 3GB. So we use AT LEAST 20GB a month total. The 20GB Mobile Share plan with 4 device access charges like I said is $40'ish less than what we are paying now for our 4 line unlimited data on each line family plan.

The only thing I can see that Mobile Share plan offers is mobile hotspot. We have never been in a situation where we needed or wanted to use a mobile hotspot.

A big difference also is we still get 2 year contract upgrades at subsidized pricing, but there's a rumor that this is going to change with AT&T. Not sure if this will affect grandfathered plans.

On a negative note, I'm starting to use more data and I'm getting throttled with more time remaining until next billing cycle and it's starting to bother me. Never bothered me before cause I would get throttled with less than 5 days left. Hopefully the rumor is true that AT&T will stop it's current throttling practice and move to network management.