AT&T Unlimited Data Plan - How much data do you use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Mar 24, 2015.

1. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm coming up on 20GB with about a week left. I like how things have changed since I started this thread :)

TOMMYBOY4 is going to check his data and see a message that says "Dammmnnnn.... you use a lot!!!"

2. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

When I read your post, I had to re-read the thread again. I used to feel a little discouraged about throttling... especially when people would justify double the data share plans + rollover, or people saying we have limited data speeds... I used to look at those post and wished that someday we will have the last laugh.. Where are they now??? LOL

I still think $30 for 5gb LTE speed is still a good price. Glad things are a lot better for us UDP customers. It will be insteresting how much data I use on my next billing cycle since I'm not handcuffed in my data usage.

3. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

Well good for you for being so proud of yourself. Don't you think it's a little excessive at this point? Are you not just constantly streaming content for the sake of running it up? It'll be a shame when they finally pull the plug completely on UDP because of irresponsibility such as this.

4. T0MMYBOY4 macrumors regular

What's with that attitude? When did I ever say I was proud of myself?! If anything, I am proud of AT&T for coming to their sense's and doing the right thing. (removing throttling for UDP customers). I used to call ATT every month and politely ask them to remove the throttling from my plan because it prohibited me from being able to use my phone and data plan to it's fullest extent. I was always given the same ole speech that they "had to do it for network management" .... " the network won't be able to handle all of you unlimited data plan customers using all the data you want....however, move over to a tiered plan and put more money in our pocket, and we'd be happy to remove the throttling from your service." I always told them the network would be just fine....Towers won't melt...the system won't collapse under the load of the extra data. They didn't wanna hear it...but yet were offering other customers "rollover data" and "double your data" deals. Fast forward to May 2015 and they've finally removed the throttling... AND GUESS WHAT ?! THE NETWORK IS JUST FINE !! Towers aren't melting...systems aren't crashing. It was always just a scam to get us to move to a tiered plan. And before you go bashing me about my data usage... Remember, its UNLIMITED !! AT&T pitched it to me...they said back in 2008 when I signed up " Use all the data you want, never have to worry about overage charges. You'll have that piece of mind that you can stream content without incurring any extra charges" Remember, THEY pitched that to ME!! I never begged for unlimited data. Why is 200 gig excessive? Because its more than you use?? What about 10 years from now when all phones have 4K screens and all video is in 4k? People will be using 10 times the bandwidth they use now streaming crappy SD video's. 10 years AGO, people would've thought it INSANE to hear of one using 5 gigs of cellular data in a month....but guess what?!...people use 5 gig a month like its nothing. We can't foresee what the future holds for phone's and network spectrum. I'm sorry if I offended you for making such good use of something that was offered to me....I almost feel like Im in trouble for eating too much at a "All you can eat buffet"....:confused::(

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tell them Tommy.
    Say it like it is bro:D
    Back in 2007 when we got the iphone and the mandated unlimited iphone data plan that came with it AT&T didn't tell us about any of this throttling or that we had to pay for tiered data plans down the road to get full speeds.

6. T0MMYBOY4 macrumors regular

I'm preachin !! :p:cool:... Just not sure who all is listening! :rolleyes: LoL

"Irresponsible" ...? Really ?!... You're going there? :rolleyes:I can start using TERABYTES of data on my phone if you want, and show you irresponsible.... (but I save that kind of usage for my iPad unlimited data plan) :D

7. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

You go now! Buffet ova!!! You been here two hour!!!

Actually... the buffet is finally open. No more going up once and then a small dessert. Now we can eat as much as we want.

8. T0MMYBOY4 macrumors regular

Now THIS is "IRRESPONSIBLE"....lol

Screen shot from my ipad showing I've used 1.9 Terabytes of cellular data on my ipad unlimited plan since I reset the statistics/counting back in January. Now the haters are really gonna come out to get me ....:p

Attached Files:

9. T0MMYBOY4 macrumors regular

Counter was reset on January 24th of this year.

Attached Files:

10. CYKBC macrumors 6502

I though I was overachieving at 75gb a month on T-Mobile. Haha

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn:D
    What was the app that used most of the data and how much?
    Youtube seems low.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

My monthly cycle runs until tomorrow. I hit over 10gb for the first time in years. 20 gb this month. Zero signs of throttling.

Looks like AT&T finally made the old unlimited plan worth it for those who kept with it.

----------

I need to get my hands on an iPad unlimited plan, but they're almost $1,500 on Ebay lol

13. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Is that XBMC app only on cydia?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    On jb devices.

15. T0MMYBOY4 macrumors regular

I just turn on tethering (since its jb) and use it to serve as my home internet. I have a couple dropcams (security cameras) around my house that are constantly recording/uploading in HD. The cameras alone prolly use 10-15 gig a day. That, on top of streaming HD movies, I use a lot of data. I rarely use the actual iPad (that's why your not seeing high usage on particular apps),.... It just sits it the corner (always plugged into power) providing Internet throughout the house.

Yes

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    What do you do when you leave the house with the phone? The security cameras are not recording anything when you're not there? Does the house have no internet when you're not there to tether?

17. T0MMYBOY4 macrumors regular

Sorry, I was referring to the iPad. I never tether w/ my unlimited PHONE plan. Don't wanna risk AT&T getting pissed. (They don't allow tethering on the PHONE plans, but do on the iPad plans ONLY!) -- The iPad is always home, always plugged into power outlet, and I always have tethering turned on. The cameras are always on/uploading 24/7. I also connect my Nest Thermostat, My Q garage door opener, Slingbox, MacBook Pro and a few other devices to the iPad since it's always home with tethering turned on. It runs flawlessly. -- As far as the high usage on my phone, I use XBMC and Slingbox a lot and YouTube as well. I used the phone a little more heavy this month to test out this new "no throttling" policy... And I can say I am DEFINITELY happy with the changes AT&T has made.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, you and me both are very happy.:D
    I dont have to keep worrying about my kids watching youtube videos away from wifi any more. I wont be slowed down with 2 weeks left on my billing cycle:D

19. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I see you are still using the kids as an excuse to watch Justin Bieber YouTube videos. Now you can stream full concerts... LOL... :p

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    They're not into beiber any more. They watch tv shows.

21. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Lol yes don't even imagine thinking of tethering with unlimited iphone plans. They'll snatch that in a heart beat. Ipad plans are different though. I got over 250 gb last month for the first time. Loving that plan. But I use manything for cameras. Those plans are reaching $2,500 on eBay now. I want to sell it but I don't.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, $2500 to buy one of those unlimited ipad data plans? :D
    That's nuts:D

23. monkey28rb, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015

monkey28rb macrumors 6502

Just gave my iPad unlimited plan to my grandparents to use as their home internet. I put the sim in a hotspot. They live in the middle of nowhere and only have access to satellite internet. I am using my Verizon unlimited plan in my iPad now, hotspot is enabled by default.

24. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is how I closed out the month. Noticeable difference after they stopped throttling.

[​IMG]

25. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Why not a VZW unlimited plan for around $500?