AT&T Unlimited Plus Data Plan Now Includes Free HBO Subscription

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Thanks to AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner, customers on the network's Unlimited Plus data plan will now have the chance to watch HBO programming at no additional cost. Beginning tomorrow, April 6, customers on Unlimited Plus data plans who already subscribe to HBO through AT&T video services like DirecTV, DirecTV Now, or U-Verse TV, will no longer have to pay for the premium channel.

For the same customers on Unlimited Plus and one of AT&T's video services who don't have HBO, they'll be able to automatically receive access to the premium network as well. Lastly, for cord-cutters without a cable package who subscribe to Unlimited Plus, AT&T is offering HBO content either through DirecTV Now or HBO GO apps. Pricing on Unlimited Plus remains the same at $90/month for one line and $145/month for two lines, with additional lines added at the cost of $20 per new line.

[​IMG]

Unlimited data plans have come back in full force this year, with new options from all four major carriers launching within a week of one another.
    AT&T is also offering Unlimited Plus users a $25 monthly video credit that can be used on its range of video services as long as they remain on the wireless plan. The monthly credit starts within three bill cycles, while the free HBO credit starts within two bill cycles.

In related premium channel news, cord-cutting service Sling TV recently added Showtime into its lineup at the additional cost of $10 per month for Sling TV users. The channels include Showtime, Showtime 2, Showtime Beyond, and more, and includes all of Showtime's original series like Homeland, Shameless, and the upcoming reboot of Twin Peaks.

Article Link: AT&T Unlimited Plus Data Plan Now Includes Free HBO Subscription

2. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Now let's sit back and wait for T-Mobile's counterattack, I meant... counteroffer.

3. FactVsOpinion macrumors 6502

Finally, something nice, unexpected, and uniquely value-adding from AT&T.

4. reggierob2 macrumors newbie

5. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Sure sounds good but all of these companies are getting WAY too big. Being able to competitively offer premium programing for free w/ no impact on a customer's data plan allocation because a public utility company also owns a media conglomerate is too much for me.

Sadly, no one breaks up companies anymore. Merge merge merge until they own it all.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Can anyone tell me if this unlimited data plus plan is the same as the grandfathered plan but cheaper? I thought it was same but I went In and I thought I saw in the fine print they start throttling after 12gb....meaning the hot spot data is a seperate pool of data.

7. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 6502a

H3LL5P4WN

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The unlimited Plus is the new plan that came out last month. This is not the same as grandfathered. This plan includes tethering, unlimited minutes and unlimited text. Throttling is set at 22GB. After 10GB of tethering, only tethering gets throttled. Its still 22GB per line, like the grandfathered, but you get other features.

9. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

I finally switched from the grandfathered plan to the new one. Now I'm paying less and also get a mobile hotspot with 10GBs. Also now an HBO subscription apparently.

10. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I have HBO on my DirecTV Now subscription. I guess I haven't found a compelling reason to spend $5/month for it. Maybe I should start watching some of the series, but why is it that to have something on Premium Channels, it has to have gratuitous sex and violence in it, when all of the classics from the golden age of movies had neither (overtly), and are still watchable, and enjoyable.

Not that I'm a prude, but those things, as a substitute for good story telling are obvious voids in the writing.

11. macduke Suspended

macduke

Your move, T-Mobile. Although I won't complain as they gave me free MLB at Bat Premium yesterday. It's pretty neat how you can customize that app icon now. I've got my KC Royals right on my home screen!

12. NomadicTy macrumors regular

A little progress from AT&T. Add free data roaming, even if it's 2G, and you'd get me back, AT&T. When I travel overseas, having access to messaging, email, and maps is a lifesaver. Not having those "blackout hours" between arriving into a different country and finally getting a local SIM card is very comforting.

13. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

As someone who has the DirecTV premier package with all the movie channels, this makes me happy. Sure we didn't get the FAN discount, but the $25/month DirecTV credit and HBO for free now certainty make up for it a little bit?

14. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

First a 25$ credit towards my DirecTv for my unlimited plan. Now my HBO is free. ATT is making it real hard to leave. Well played ATT, well played.

15. kanselmo macrumors member

There are probably several HBO series currently airing that you'd like. They're not all just different takes on Game of Thrones or True Detective or whatever as you seem to be assuming.

16. chipfiev macrumors member

I just checked my AT&T account. My DIRECTV details now show HBO and the discount has already been applied, just as promised. And I can now access HBO channels in the DIRECTV app and was able to log into HBO Go.

Thanks AT&T. First $25 off something I was already paying for and now this? I'm genuinely happy with these recent changes.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I guess it sweetens the pot, but you only get free HBO if you also subscribe to their other TV subscription services. If they offered HBO alone with unlimited data sans any other subscription requirements that would be something.

Also, AT&T's plan was actually a little more expensive than the other options--even Verizon's when last I checked so I guess they had to do something. The guy I worked with at the Verizon said they were very busy with AT&T defectors.

18. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

This is ridiculous. Anyone know history enough to know that the government was opposed to this not long ago? Prime example were the movie houses in Hollywood that owned every step of the production process and distribution and theaters. How on earth can a company do this today through the home is beyond me.

19. BaccoE macrumors newbie

Go Royals!!!

20. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

My 22 year old daughter suggested that Game of Thrones was not for watching with her 9 and 11 year old sisters. Using my powers of intuition, I went with that assumption.

Do you have any suggestions? Don't worry, if I don't like it, I won't hold you responsible. I may make assumptions that turn out to be bad, but for those, I hold myself responsible. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    My previous post may have seemed that I'm ungrateful for this, and after re-reading it, I am thankful for AT&T including HBO.

21. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

Entourage is a fun show, absolutely no violence!

22. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Free data roaming while in Canada or Mexico is included. Not overseas though.

I travel to Canada all the time - I live on a border city. THIS was the main reason I switched to unlimited plus. Now I don't have to turn my phone off after crossing the border.

23. christian.terra macrumors regular

Where do you go to check this? Can't find it anywhere and don't see the discount for having unlimited plus or for the HBO?

24. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

Which border city? Must be cool to be within driving distance of another country.

25. rldunn macrumors member

Not the original poster, but I'm in metro Detroit and drive over to Canada quite a bit. And it is definitely cool. Especially with the Canadian dollar being so low vs the American dollar ;)

And, I agree with the other guy - the free data use in Canada was a big reason why I switched to the Unlimited Plan. And as a DirecTV subscriber and HBO subscriber, these other parts have been gravy.

26. Rigby macrumors 601

According to the linked AT&T page they do:

"If you don’t subscribe to an AT&T video service, you can access your HBO content through the DIRECTV NOW and HBO Go apps."