Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Which border city? Must be cool to be within driving distance of another country.

Buffalo, NY.

I work about 5 minutes from the border. I go over for lunch often. I crave Canadian Poutine, Swiss Chalet, or other Canadian-only restaurants.

It's very cool - sometimes prices for items (like prescription drugs) are so much cheaper in Canada than the States.

Reactions: clunkmess

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
A little progress from AT&T. Add free data roaming, even if it's 2G, and you'd get me back, AT&T. When I travel overseas, having access to messaging, email, and maps is a lifesaver. Not having those "blackout hours" between arriving into a different country and finally getting a local SIM card is very comforting.

I thought I finally had a reason to upgrade my grandfathered $40/unlimited plan, but until ATT offers a package that includes my home internet service, then there's no point. I'm a cord cutter, but I don't need this. I already have Netflix, and Amazon Prime. HBO has some compelling programming, but not enough to pay a lot more for it.

Why I'm still getting two seperate bills for my home internet and mobile service is beyond me.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
My 22 year old daughter suggested that Game of Thrones was not for watching with her 9 and 11 year old sisters. Using my powers of intuition, I went with that assumption.

Do you have any suggestions? Don't worry, if I don't like it, I won't hold you responsible. I may make assumptions that turn out to be bad, but for those, I hold myself responsible. ;)
[doublepost=1491414431][/doublepost]My previous post may have seemed that I'm ungrateful for this, and after re-reading it, I am thankful for AT&T including HBO.

My question is, when you said "gratuitous sex and violence", were you implying that all sex and violence are gratuitous. Or are you open to sex and/or violence, as long as they are there by dramatic necessity? The "classics" that you reference may have had no overt sex, but they did often include violence.

If you haven't watched "The Wire", I strongly recommend it. It is a show that did not depend on "gratuitous "anything. Don't go by GOT, which is the poster child for "gratuitous".

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Haven't dropped my grandfathered unlimited data yet.

But does the new unlimited plans have a grandfather clause for when AT&T decides to drop unlimited data again?

Reactions: clunkmess

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
Can anyone tell me if this unlimited data plus plan is the same as the grandfathered plan but cheaper? I thought it was same but I went In and I thought I saw in the fine print they start throttling after 12gb....meaning the hot spot data is a seperate pool of data.

I switched over the whole family from grandfathered to unlimited plus. Others have already answered the tethering question, but for me the big draw was that you can have up to 10 lines now instead of just 4. We rolled in 2 more family members and split the costs evenly. $145 for the first 2 lines + 4 lines at $20 each is $225. Split by 6 people and we're paying under $40 bucks each. But we get tethering and Mexico and Canada included.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
This is ridiculous. Anyone know history enough to know that the government was opposed to this not long ago? Prime example were the movie houses in Hollywood that owned every step of the production process and distribution and theaters. How on earth can a company do this today through the home is beyond me.

AT&T has not completed the purchase of Time Warner. Article needs to be corrected. It will probably happen, sooner rather than later, but in terms of this promotion, they're still separate companies.

Reactions: Statusnone88

kanselmo

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
My 22 year old daughter suggested that Game of Thrones was not for watching with her 9 and 11 year old sisters. Using my powers of intuition, I went with that assumption.

Do you have any suggestions? Don't worry, if I don't like it, I won't hold you responsible. I may make assumptions that turn out to be bad, but for those, I hold myself responsible. ;)

Yeah, I agree with your 22-year-old on that one, for sure...

Really depends on your tastes, but for current shows, Veep is a clever comedy, and while I haven't seen it I've heard good things about Silicon Valley. For drama The Leftovers may be up your alley...

There are quite a few other great older shows but it does depend on your tolerance for violence that is an integral part of the story (The Wire, The Sopranos, Rome, Deadwood) - and that is cool if it's not your thing. If you like sketch style comedy, Mr. Show is among the best and was a major influence on modern comedy. Also, the Larry Sanders Show is an underrated classic.

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
My question is, when you said "gratuitous sex and violence", were you implying that all sex and violence are gratuitous. Or are you open to sex and/or violence, as long as they are there by dramatic necessity? The "classics" that you reference may have had no overt sex, but they did often include violence.

If you haven't watched "The Wire", I strongly recommend it. It is a show that did not depend on "gratuitous "anything. Don't go by GOT, which is the poster child for "gratuitous".
Agreed on the classics. One of my favorites is "The Awful Truth" which is loaded with double entendres, but does it in a witty way. They slipped a lot in past the censors.
On the violence part, modern classics, such as "Saving Private Ryan" were hard to watch, for me as well. Even reality (in news) is difficult for me to watch. I guess I don't want to become jaded, or used to the kind of violence shown in movies.

I'll take a look at "The Wire". Thank you!

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
I guess it sweetens the pot, but you only get free HBO if you also subscribe to their other TV subscription services. If they offered HBO alone with unlimited data sans any other subscription requirements that would be something.

Also, AT&T's plan was actually a little more expensive than the other options--even Verizon's when last I checked so I guess they had to do something. The guy I worked with at the Verizon said they were very busy with AT&T defectors.

False. The article specificity states you don't need to subscribe to their TV service to take advantage of this. I also suggest reading AT&T's website on the matter, which also states you don't need to be a cable customer to get his perk.

Suspended
Dec 30, 2015
Orlando, FL
Great, crap but for free. How bout something useful from AT&T like T-Mobile did in giving it's customers a free year of MLB.TV Premium. That would be useful AT&T.

Reactions: nburwell

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
According to the linked AT&T page they do:

"If you don’t subscribe to an AT&T video service, you can access your HBO content through the DIRECTV NOW and HBO Go apps."
I don't understand how u sign into either one of these apps w/o paying a subscription
[doublepost=1491444101][/doublepost]
IDGAF. Bring on the savings
Save now, rape & pillage later

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY.

I work about 5 minutes from the border. I go over for lunch often. I crave Canadian Poutine, Swiss Chalet, or other Canadian-only restaurants.

It's very cool - sometimes prices for items (like prescription drugs) are so much cheaper in Canada than the States.

Other restaurants such as the Sundowner... zing.
[doublepost=1491485080][/doublepost]
Can anyone tell me if this unlimited data plus plan is the same as the grandfathered plan but cheaper? I thought it was same but I went In and I thought I saw in the fine print they start throttling after 12gb....meaning the hot spot data is a seperate pool of data.

22 gigs on regular data, 10 on tethering.

And not throttled at all... deprioritized. There is a difference. You fall to the back of the line only if there is a line in the first place when deprioritized. Otherwise it's business as usual.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile when the $100 for 2 line One plan was announced. It trounced anything AT&T offered on every feature. Now that they've offered the "Plus" plan the features are more in line, but AT&T's plan is still $45 per month more than T-Mobile's.

I'm probably missing something, but free HBO just doesn't seem worth it.

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
I don't understand how u sign into either one of these apps w/o paying a subscription

I was curious about this as well since I don't have any AT&T video services but have the Unlimited Plus plan only.

According to AT&T's site and online chat, you have to create a DirectTV Now free view account to view HBO. After creating that account, you can then log into the HBO Go app.

[URL='https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html#collapsgSixteen']Do I have to be an AT&T video service customer to get HBO® included with my AT&T UNLIMITED PLUSSM plan?
No, HBO® is included with AT&T UNLIMITED PLUS whether you have an AT&T video service or not. Customers without AT&T video service can visit www.att.com/unlimitedplus to set up a DIRECTV Now freeVIEW account to access HBO.

• If you currently have AT&T video service, AT&T will add the HBO® premium channels to your video service within 3-4 days.
  • If you already have HBO® on your DIRECTV or U-verse TV service, AT&T will add a credit to your account within 2 bill cycles. If you already have HBO® on your DIRECTV NOW account AT&T will replace your subscription with this HBO® promotion. Only one video account is eligible. Please visit the att.com/unlimitedplus to learn more.
[/URL]

Reactions: scapegoat81

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Great, crap but for free. How bout something useful from AT&T like T-Mobile did in giving it's customers a free year of MLB.TV Premium. That would be useful AT&T.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this. Granted my fiancée and I love the original content and movies on HBO, but not so much that I would switch back to AT&T after I ported over to T-Mobile a couple months ago. We'll stick with the "free" HBO we're getting for a year through Xfinity (we primarily just utilize the HBO Go app on our ATV's).

If you're a baseball fan, then I feel the free year of MLB.TV Premium is definitely a steal.

Nice promotion by AT&T, but I don't think it's going to swing many users to switch from other carriers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.