Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price on 06/20/2010

This is what my account says. . .

Either way I'm getting the new phone. Lol
I'm pretty sure most of us WILL qualify for the new phone at the new 2 year discount price. . .It's happened for the past 2 years.

rroach3753

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
I have an iPhone 3GS. I started service on March 3, 2010 with unlimited voice, data and txt. My eligibilty date for upgrade is March 3, 2011. Exactly 12 months.

AntJon82

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
NYC
iphone HD

My upgrade date has been moved up to 7/08/10. I got the 3GS on launch date, and my bill is less than $100/month. So apparently AT&T is moving the upgrade eligibility dates of some of the iPhone customers.

mines is july 4th

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Another way to check upgrade eligibility is through the Apple Store website. If it says that I can get the iPhone 3GS for $299, does that mean I'm eligible for the full discount?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Not getting too worried yet, but if it doesn't change, this is just stupid:
-Got the 2G on day of release, paid full price
-Got the 3G on day of release, paid discounted rate
-Got the 3GS day of release, paid full price

Now they want me to pay full price if I want a G4 day of release? Thats crap, the 3GS was unsubsidized. Come June it'll have been 2 years since my last subsidized device. (online says I'm not elligable for an upgrade until 11/20).

God help them if that date sticks and a Verizon iPhone comes out by 11/20

Are u sure u paid $599/699 or $399/499 partial subsidzed priced.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I'm not eligible until 9/23 of this year...purchased my 3G in January '09, so I get a little break off the 2 full years (I also have a FAN through my employer, so I guess that helps a little.)

But if the price on a 16 gig would otherwise be about $299, I'll hit the button early...

TEBnewyork

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009

Now they want me to pay full price if I want a G4 day of release? Thats crap, the 3GS was unsubsidized. Come June it'll have been 2 years since my last subsidized device. (online says I'm not elligable for an upgrade until 11/20).

I've been wondering what they were going to do. I have exactly the same scenario.

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
I was going to ask why on earth they get away with charging $18 to remove your sim card and put it in a new phone, but then I remembered this time around it would be a micro-sim.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a reduced discount, along with a 2-year commitment. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade to an iPhone at a discounted price on 11/20/2010

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
Hmm, bought my 3GS in August (fully subsidized). The AT&T text says that I qualify for a full upgrade on 04/22/2011, but they can give me the reduced discount blah blah $18.

Not that I think I’m going to upgrade this time around, but why such a late upgrade date? I’m part of a family plan that’s >$100/mo… maybe because I’m not the main number in it?

born4sky

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
Upgrade date 02/20/2011 :( Currently using iPhone 3GS I wonder why because I paid 400 instead of 200

davidbrummy

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Family Plan

I noticed on my line which is the main line I am now eligible but my wife's secondary line is 8/10.

Couple of things to note,

(i) Before the 3GS came out they gave everyone discounted pricing on the 3G to clear stock. Therefore I am not sure if we will get discounted next gen or this is just discounted 3GS.

(ii) They may be more flexible this time around to stop people going over to Verizon. If that rumor is true of course.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm slightly amused at everybody ready to slap down hundreds of bucks on something they know nothing about yet. All you know is rumor, and that prototype could be nothing like what eventually comes out.

I would also ask why any 3GS owner with sanity would buy the next-gen phone. You're eligible for all the OS 4 features and probably won't be missing much else. I get the 2G and 3G owners upgrading, especially you brave 2G owners. I like my phone aside from the "limited" storage, but even 64GB won't be enough. I'm also waiting for this Verizon stuff to become reality and maybe prices will drop or something. AT&T's signal strength has been weaker for me over the past month, and I might have the option of switching if I wait until next summer when this contract runs out.

Gene Steinberg

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2007

For the past two years, AT&T has allowed iPhone owners to buy the new model within 12-18 months after the original purchase for the subsidized price.

My anniversary date is in July. I can wait.

This is news?

Peace,
Gene

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Upgrade date 02/20/2011 :( Currently using iPhone 3GS I wonder why because I paid 400 instead of 200

Again you guys/gals need to realize how ATT sells the iphone

fully subsdized (199/299 pricing)
partially subsidized (399/499)
no subsidy (599/699).

Many of you guys complaining about buying an iphone 3gs last June for "full price" and not be eligible for an upgrade by June 2010-September 2010 need to re check your receipts. Did you pay 399/499? or 599/699? If you paid the full 599/699 price, you should have a full eligibility.

But if you paid the partial upgrade 399/499 pricing last June 2009 for the 3GS model, it "resetted" your entire upgrade path. So that means you are either eligible for fully subsidized upgrade pricing 12 months later (June 20 2010 if you are the primary line averaging more than $99) OR fully subsidized upgrade pricing 15-21 months afterwords depending on your overall pricing plans.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'll happily pay the unsubsidized price if I don't have to use their ruddy service.

Skype, here we come.

...the iPad's 3G data plan would be nice, extended to this though.

Or maybe just go with T-mobile. You're not getting the phone cheaper with AT&T, you're just paying for it longer.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I would also ask why any 3GS owner with sanity would buy the next-gen phone. You're eligible for all the OS 4 features and probably won't be missing much else. I get the 2G and 3G owners upgrading, especially you brave 2G owners. .

Simple: Because of the iPhone's high resell value. Currently the 3GS has the highest resell value. So if you dump the 3GS shortly before the 4th generation iPhone comes out, you should be able to get $300-500 for the 3GS model (assuming it's in great running condition/no scratches).

Than you apply the money earned from the sell of the 3GS to buy the 4th generation iPhone. The first generation and 2nd generation iPhones will certainly not have a very high resell value once iPhone OS4 and the new 4th generation phone gets released

That's the reason: It doesn't really cost any money to "upgrade" every year if you are constantly buying/reselling.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Ok, mine said when I dialed the number, "A full discount on a standard handset or iphone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 5/22/2010"(and hten they offer the discounted iphone with an 18 dollar upgrade fee).

So I'm guessing htat means end of May I qualify.

But, I got a question. My phone is an added line and the main account is under some one else. I heard some people say stuff like the added phone was not available for an upgrade and theirs was... I am hoping that the upgrade is not just an upgrade for one of the phones and the other one is not. Cause we both want to upgrade (Well, he needs to, his phone is starting to fall apart. Mine's got a crack in the back but is fully functional).

So any thoughts on to whether we'll both be able to upgrade (somewhere end of summer I think would mark the 2 year mark that we renewed our contract last)?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area

Attachments

• IceCreamSandwich.jpg
    IceCreamSandwich.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.