Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

film major

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
My upgrade with AT&T is the first week in June. Everyone seems to be saying that the new iPhone will come out in September. Also looks like it won't be a major update either. I might have to look into Android because I don't see a point in getting the iPhone 4 the phone will be a year old at that point.

Anyone else in this boat?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
How can a phone that hasn't been released (or announced) yet already be a year old?

trust me, if YOU switch no one would care.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
You do realize you don't have to upgrade the day you're elegible? You can wait a couple of weeks and see what happens. Some guy on the forums is claiming he works for Apple and that the new iPhone will be released the first of July, he's supposedly emailing the mods with evidence. I'm sure you can wait an extra month to see what Apple releases otherwise just buy a nice Atrix.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
My upgrade with AT&T is the first week in June. Everyone seems to be saying that the new iPhone will come out in September. Also looks like it won't be a major update either. I might have to look into Android because I don't see a point in getting the iPhone 4 the phone will be a year old at that point.

You either like the Apple ecosystem model and want to wait for the best stuff, or you don't. It's really that simple. In your boat, I'd wait for the next iPhone announcement.

film major

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
How can a phone that hasn't been released (or announced) yet already be a year old?

I don't think you read my post properly, I said the iPhone 4 will be a year old in June. I just don't see a point in getting a year old phone or having to wait 4-5 months for the iPhone 5.

Striker-UMB

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

film major said:

I don't think you read my post properly, I said the iPhone 4 will be a year old in June. I just don't see a point in getting a year old phone or having to wait 4-5 months for the iPhone 5.

Then it looks like you just answered your own question. Go buy an Android phone.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Depends on how mucg you've invested in iOS. If you've spent a small fortune on apps then there is no reason to switch and wait for the next iPhone.

As it stands now tho, the only Android device I could suggest today is the SGS II which isn't out in the U.S at the moment. The reason why I suggest the SGS II is that spec wise, it's way ahead of the current crop of Android handsets.

There is no harm in waiting to be honest.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
As someone who went from a iPhone 3GS, to a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S), to a Nexus One, to an HTC Inspire 4G, and then back to an iPhone (4), I've got to say it... Don't buy an Android handset. Don't be drawn in by the specs. You're still getting software that needs serious help. I had way too many problems to talk about in one sitting.

---
Sent from my iPad 2

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP your whole post was based off rumors. Wait until WWDC which is a few weeks away.

While much of what we see is speculation, its all but a foregone conclusion that we'll not see any iPhone update at WWDC. Apple, suppliers, so called pundits all stated this. Whether we see an update in September is really the question.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
While much of what we see is speculation, its all but a foregone conclusion that we'll not see any iPhone update at WWDC. Apple, suppliers, so called pundits all stated this. Whether we see an update in September is really the question.

Maybe I missed a story, but when did Apple say that it was not releasing a phone in June?

Mind you I think that at this point a September release is likely, but we've never gotten any word from Apple. If we did, I think it would cease being a "rumor."

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

It is like that "upgrade" is burning a hole in your pocket!

Save it for what you want and need.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
You do realize you don't have to upgrade the day you're elegible? You can wait a couple of weeks and see what happens. Some guy on the forums is claiming he works for Apple and that the new iPhone will be released the first of July, he's supposedly emailing the mods with evidence. I'm sure you can wait an extra month to see what Apple releases otherwise just buy a nice Atrix.

Agreed.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
It is like that "upgrade" is burning a hole in your pocket!

Save it for what you want and need.

Great advice Stealthipad I agree... What would make someone think wasting their upgrade on something they don't really want is beyond me. Save it for a rainy if you can wait :D

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I just bought the iPhone 4 in September. I switched from Verizon to At&t to get it. I grew tired of waiting for a Verizon iPhone that was "just around the corner." On 2 of our lines, we have been eligible for upgrades for some time. You aren't obligated to run out and spend money on a new phone the day a new one comes out. You have the 3GS, correct? Or do you have the 3G? In either case, the phone you have is not bad and there is nothing wrong with waiting.

I moved to At&t for 2 reasons. I wanted the iPhone and I wanted tiered data. I spend most of my day in range of free wifi so there is no point in me paying for unlimited or even "pro" data. I'm not satisfied with the phone performance on At&t and if Verizon ever brings back tiered data, I might be willing to write an ETF check to switch back. If I manage to stay with At&t, when my upgrade rolls around, I will probably wait a while before springing for a new phone unless there is some "must have" feature like the ability to use NFC to pay for stuff and leave my wallet at home.

The bottom line is to avoid being in a hurry in making tech decisions. I did the opposite. I regret waiting so long to switch to At&t that I had to suffer with a gimped phone for several years. But the up side is that by waiting for At&t to offer tiered data I now pay less for a better phone and while I put up with worse phone service, it's not bad enough that I regret switching.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
As someone who went from a iPhone 3GS, to a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S), to a Nexus One, to an HTC Inspire 4G, and then back to an iPhone (4), I've got to say it... Don't buy an Android handset. Don't be drawn in by the specs. You're still getting software that needs serious help. I had way too many problems to talk about in one sitting.

---
Sent from my iPad 2

Just curious...How is it that you can switch between that many devices in such a short period of time? Are you getting them unsubsidized, buying them used on ebay etc???

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

But again, Apple hasn't said that no new hardware will be unveiled, just that WWDC will be software focused. I don't think that is especially dispositive because WWDC is usually pretty software focused, with a product launch usually helping to anchor the event.

The rumors regarding the iPhone 5 have been so chaotic and random that I'm beginning to wonder just what can be established. There is a lot of credence to the idea that an iPhone 5 won't be out until September, but then that is counterweighted by rumors of it being no more than a minor update with a possible new camera and A5 chip.

At this point, I see three emerging possibilities:

1) The iPhone 5 does come out in June with moderate upgrades to the camera, storage, and A5, with iOS 5 coming out in September for all three products (iPod touch, iPad, and iPhone). This would seem to be supported by the fact that there hasn't been a software preview yet as there was in April for both iOS 3 and 4.

2) The iPhone 5 does come out in September (or later) with moderate upgrades and iOS 5 comes with it along with new iPods.

3) The iPhone 5 comes out in September with a much more substantial upgrade along with iOS 5 and new iPods.

The rumors seem to be pointing to #2 being the most likely at this point, but I have to ask the obvious question: is Apple arrogant enough (and it's customers blind enough) to sell 1.5 year-old technology at full price?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Maybe I missed a story, but when did Apple say that it was not releasing a phone in June?

Mind you I think that at this point a September release is likely, but we've never gotten any word from Apple. If we did, I think it would cease being a "rumor."

I don't think Apple would release a new iPhone (iPhone 5) in June while still running iOS 4.x, and considering that a beta of iOS 5.0 won't be released until at or around WWDC, and I also don't think that Apple would release new iPhone hardware with a beta OS, all signs seem to point to no new iPhone hardware at WWDC.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
but I have to ask the obvious question: is Apple arrogant enough (and it's customers blind enough) to sell 1.5 year-old technology at full price?

I would go as far as to yes they are, and sadly most Apple fans will gladly accept it. Apple knows this and that's why they would be willing to do it. Apple's marketing machine is very strong, they'll coin some new word like "revolutionary" or "magical" and people will jump right on board. Besides let's be honest, unless there is a massive overhaul of the OS, there really isn't a need for things like dual core processing anyway. IOS isn't designed to require very much horsepower for it to function. I don't mean this to be inflammatory, but really the OS doesn't really do much, it's mostly comprised of static tiles and some animations..nothing that really requires an awful lot of processing power. So that being said if Apple does not give a dramatic overhaul to their OS then yes they can get away with releasing "1.5 year old tech".

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I don't think Apple would release a new iPhone (iPhone 5) in June while still running iOS 4.x, and considering that a beta of iOS 5.0 won't be released until at or around WWDC, and I also don't think that Apple would release new iPhone hardware with a beta OS, all signs seem to point to no new iPhone hardware at WWDC.

That has been the pattern in the past, but with 3 devices now using the same OS Apple may be deciding to change things so that iPhone hardware is no longer tied to iOS updates, like the iPad and iPod touch are.

My bigger problem with all of these rumors is that there doesn't seem to be much the iPhone 5 will offer over the 4. Why the long delay if it's only trivial?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That has been the pattern in the past, but with 3 devices now using the same OS Apple may be deciding to change things so that iPhone hardware is no longer tied to iOS updates, like the iPad and iPod touch are.

My bigger problem with all of these rumors is that there doesn't seem to be much the iPhone 5 will offer over the 4. Why the long delay if it's only trivial?

How do you know its going to be trivial by any means?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.