AT&T vs VZW in NYC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DDar, Aug 2, 2011.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I did a search on the forums and on Google can't seem to find much.

I know VZW has better voice, but how do both carriers compare when it comes to day-to-day text and web use?

I've tested out the two phones on their respective networks at different Apple Stores (one in Roosevelt field mall and one on 9th ave.) and the AT&T phone usually loads pages much faster than the VZW phone, but I'm just wondering what people experiences are.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Can't say much about Verizon besides it being heavily advertised there. Contrary to what many people say, AT&T works perfectly fine in NYC for me. Verizon works well as well, but I don't have a direct comparison for you.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Oh God not this thread again!

To be nice, I've heard good experiences from both AT&T and Verizon on NYC. I also have heard bad things about them both.

Really looooooooong story short: Get what works well in your area.

Attached Files:

4. kleinias macrumors regular

I travel quite a bit and have had the chance to test out iPhone 4's on both Verizon and AT&T. Usually the Verizon phone gets better reception and call quality is better. I get reception in more places with Verizon, but when I do have a strong signal with both AT&T and Verizon, the AT&T iPhone's data speeds are usually noticeably faster. In day to day usage, I don't notice it much unless I'm downloading large files of 50-100 megs or more (which is rare for me).

In regards to NYC, this was one place where I didn't really notice a significant difference between the performance of the Verizon and AT&T iPhone's reception. They both seemed to get pretty good reception, with Verizon's being perhaps just a touch better. If I spent most of my time in NYC, I don't think I would have the significant issues with AT&T that many of their users report. You really should try them both out and go with what works best for you.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i visited nyc in may and was really disappointed by the iphone's data performance on verizon. download speeds were all over the place, ranging from 200 kbps to an occasional 1 mbps. it really depended on where i was, but i usually saw an average of 300-400 kbps. unfortunately, i did not have an at&t iphone to compare.

6. DDar, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

My area is rather large. I live in Queens and frequently make trips out to the Bronx and regularly commute into Manhattan itself (and even there I'm all over the place frequently). Bar buying a phone and testing it, I really don't see how I could even go about finding out what works best for my day-to-day uses (especially since I currently have T-Mobile and a blackberry), and unfortunately $300+ a 2 year contract don't exactly provide much leeway for experimentation.