Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I can keep my UNLIMITED DATA but if I want to use Facetime™ over 3G I must switch plans. ****ing Goddamn ******** AT&T !!!!!

Don't be such a spoiled brat. They are nice enough that they let you grandfather the unlimited plan.

If you really wish, they could just tell you the plan is no longer offered and you have to choose a new plan.

Instead they are going the nicer route of offering options you can get if you move from that plan.

But when they no longer offer that plan, do you really expect them to add on to that plan? Especially when you can't even say you pay for that particular data unlike the rest of the plans that are paying for a specific amount of data. You're paying for use of their network instead so they have every right to stipulate how you use it.

(Now I would support some one who has a limited plan being annoyed that they can't get facetime over it. I do think that is BS).

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Jokes on you, you won't be able to, nor I. They don't have the grandfathered plans provisioned on their LTE service. I know, I tried already. I had a grandfathered 3G data card from around 2002, and the wouldn't let me upgrade to LTE for this reasons. They said it was impossible for a grandfathered plan to be used with their LTE service, or any type. Their the guys even gave me a device to test, and sure enough, it just doesn't work. So, when the LTE iPhone comes out, I'm pretty confident there won't bra grandfathered unlimited plan anymore. Hello Sprint.

Idk about this. I upgraded my grandfathered unlimited line to the Galaxy S3 to try it out and I was getting 4GLTE displayed on my phone. I returned the phone before the 30 days to wait on the new iPhone. For those 27 days I had used ~4GB of 4GLTE data. I checked my bill for that usage and it still stated unlimited.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Carriers in North America are TERRIBLE.

Seriously, European carriers like O2, Vodafone, etc are so much less money-grabbing than the likes of AT&T, Verizon, Rogers and Bell. It's actually crazy.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I wonder if they are pissed I still have my unlimited data plan and I wonder how pissed they will be when I have an unlimited data plan on 4G LTE on the next iPhone :)

Honestly, they probably are more happy about keeping the customer. That's the only reason they still grandfather the unlimited plan. You do realize they don't have to grandfather the plan? once your contract is over they could very well just say it's not offered and you have to pick from a new one.

So, really I'd say they prefer keeping you rather than worrying about you having an unlimited plan or else they'd not let you grandfather it.

Which is why I get annoyed when I see people griping that they aren't allowing new features on the grandfathered unlimited. At least they're still allowing people who had it to stay on and trying to find other incentives to get people to leave. They could be like Verizon and just put their foot down instead and say no more, pick a new plan.

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
This is me unsurprised. Hello Verizon, because they are sooooo much better. Good grief.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Before anyone complains, how much do you actually use FaceTime?

I would be up in arms, but I honest don't use this feature at all.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Am I Missing Something?

The new shared data plans seem to be a lot more expensive than unshared plans; why would people change? Or am I misunderstanding the pricing?

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Jokes on you, you won't be able to, nor I. They don't have the grandfathered plans provisioned on their LTE service. I know, I tried already. I had a grandfathered 3G data card from around 2002, and the wouldn't let me upgrade to LTE for this reasons. They said it was impossible for a grandfathered plan to be used with their LTE service, or any type. Their the guys even gave me a device to test, and sure enough, it just doesn't work. So, when the LTE iPhone comes out, I'm pretty confident there won't bra grandfathered unlimited plan anymore. Hello Sprint.

I heard some one say he was able to when I complained they'll use the new LTE phones to say you have to get a new plan (he said he had no problem with getting unlimited 4G on his Android phone when he switched from a 3G phone). And this article is claiming they are allowing people to grandfather the unlimited plans so I was kinda hoping that was straight from AT&T.

Well, I'll see when the time comes. I hope I can keep it but since I don't normally use above 2 gigs a month I suppose it won't be the end of the world if I can't.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
They're trying to push people off unlimited data, but they don't want to push too hard because they'll lose customers.

I wonder how many people are actually still on it and using more than 2/3GB. I bet the number is very small. This seems more a reaction to Verizon and perhaps some other strategy.

Ozy

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Goodyear, AZ
This seals my switch to VZW. I've had my unlimited AT&T plan since the first iPhone, but I will not tolerate this kind of ********tery to get rid of the unlimited data plans.

Oh, u have unlimited limited-use data. I see now... F U AT&T

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Ouch, that sucks! When I switched to the iPhone 4 I had the original iPhone with only Edge. I was able to keep my unlimited data plan that I still use today even though I moved to the 3G network. I'm not saying that AT&T can't make us change plans when the next iPhone comes out, but there already is history that grandfathered plans can move to upgraded networks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but both EDGE and 3G were GSM technology, whereas the new iPhone will be LTE technology.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
So, in addition to your data plan you now have to pay extra for the privilege of using facetime as well as tethering. ATT can jam that where the sun don't shine.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
This seals my switch to VZW. I've had my unlimited AT&T plan since the first iPhone, but I will not tolerate this kind of ********tery to get rid of the unlimited data plans.

So, does Verizon allow FaceTime over LTE?

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
This thread is so funny. :))
Here we don't pay extra for facetime or personal hotspot.
As a matter of fact, with my ~40 bucks plan i have enough minutes, unlimited smss and unlimited DATA!

:cool:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So many people are totally incensed at AT&T over their ridiculous "data plans" and have been for years. Don't they have anyone with some common sense running the show over there? Or are they truly evil and finding more ways to rob money from us? It seems to me that their plans are counter-productive to making money.

buzz_030112_320x240.jpg

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag

Uh, you realize Verizon is doing essentially the same thing?

wrpspead

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
Congratulations ATT, you've finally gotten me to give up my, virtually worthless, unlimited data plan.

Hello Sprint, I would like one "as yet unnamed new iPhone" and a truly unlimited plan.

AT&T, you are being run by douchebags. Just like that Senior VP at Apple, John Browett.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why did Apple even give AT&T the ability to block this feature?

What is AT&T going to do, stop carrying the iPhone in retaliation? Don't make me laugh!

Seriously Apple, you have the power. Stop restricting features based on carrier whims!

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
Congratulations ATT, you've finally gotten me to give up my, virtually worthless, unlimited data plan.

Hello Sprint, I would like one "as yet unnamed new iPhone" and a truly unlimited plan.

AT&T, you are being run by douchebags. Just like that Senior VP at Apple, John Browett.

Enjoy your slow speeds. It's easy to be "truly unlimited" when your download speeds are about a third of Verizon and AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.