Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merser

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
No INSURANCE!!??

I can't believe that more people have not discussed this "iPhone is not eligible for Wireless Phone Insurance"
(or maybe they have and I have missed it)

When I was shopping for a service provider a year and a half ago I decided not to go with cingular for this very reason... At the time they would not offer any equipment protection plan with any of their PDA's or Blackberrys. I decided, much to my dismay, to stay with Verizon simply because they offered a protection plan for only $5.99 a month. I am glad that I did. Less then a year ago I lost my blackberry and needed a replacement. In one simple phonecall and a payment of $50 I received a brand new one within 3 days! I was very pleased. Had I not had the plan, I would have been forced to buy a new one from Verizon for $350!!

I would like to think that I a responsible guy that takes care of the things I own. But I have to tell you, I sleep well at night knowing that in the event of an accident, I have insurance to coverage the loss or damage of my phone. I understand that it costs me a total of $72 a year, but it is well worth it.

My contract ends in January and I was hoping to make the move to the iPhone. Maybe I still will, but I tell you, I am going to be PARANOID of that dang thing.

Lets say something does happen... Remember the price of the phone is $499 or $599. That is with a 2 year contract!! So if you drop the phone on the train, or its stolen, or (insert minor tragedy here) on month 3 of your contract. Will you have to wait 21 months till you could get a new one?? Or would you have to pay "retail" which of course would be way above the $599 price???

Some of you may simply say... "oh well, then don't buy the iphone if are not sure you can't take care of it, but remember.... accidents happen." I hope many of you, as well as myself dont get burned.

Maybe I am wrong in all this but I would love for someone to explain my options if any of these senarios played out.

Going abroad?

Does anyone know if I will be able to use the iPhone if I travel abroad in England? Assuming I buy it in NJ and use it for 5 months before hand will ATT allow me to use it while out of the country. I am studying in London for 6 months so I would really love to have the iPhone work while I am there.

levl289

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2003
insurance -> safeware.com

Since no insurance will be offered to protect against theft, accidents etcetera, I'll be covering it the same way I do my MBP, http://www.safeware.com. Probably cheaper in the long run anyways (I pay $150 for a whole year of coverage for the MBP, so the iPhone will be much less).

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
This sucks. No discount, no removable battery, no insurance, must get another sim card, no mms, no ichat, no 3g. Must add stupid data plan.

I think I will wait for the regular ipod version of this sucker. I love it and want one but not as a phone. Too costly. Plust att wants to screw you on everything. There is no other phone sold that doesn't let you get insurance. I will not drop $700 on a phone just to drop it when I get home and be screwed. That is what insurance is for.

Wow, this phone is definately going to be the upset of 2007, you just wait and see. There will be so much bitching about it that prices will drop in one month by half and all these restrictions will disappear.

yzp

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Quebec
will we be able to keep our phone numbers?

personallly, im a canadian customer and I use Rogers for now -canadian carrier of iOhone? so I ask myself if i could only sitch my SIM to an iPhone?

thx

topher83

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Pre-Installed SIM...

Does anyone know of any software to import contacts FROM a SIM card INTO outlook (or something similiar that will work with iPhone) ??

I just bought a Pearl a couple weeks ago (replacing treo 650) to mess around with until this friday, They gave me a new SIM card for it, so i put in all of my contacts again, I really would like to use that SIM with my iPhone (not possible...?) or find someway to get all that contact info into my PC (Outlook) to be able to then transfer it all back into the iPhone (pre-installed SIM :( )...

Anyone have any ideas?? I appreciate any responses

By the way I am assuming this pre-stalled SIM is an effort to stop 3rd party sales of the iPhone...ebay?? Lock in the buyer at the store to the registor at home?? if so, then Brilliant - ;)

ocyrus

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
will we be able to keep our phone numbers?

personallly, im a canadian customer and I use Rogers for now -canadian carrier of iOhone? so I ask myself if i could only sitch my SIM to an iPhone?

thx

Im unsure about the SIM, but i know you can keep existing numbers.

My curiosity lies with, Is AT&T going to activate our phone in store, or are they sending us home to itunes like Apple stores are?

rowlandd

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007

It's taken little more than 20 years, but here we are, a video in which "John Appleseed" tells us how the world will be. No swapping SIM cards, mandatory data plan, no unlocking, foreign roaming only through ATT's highly inflated rates, crippled functionality, few workable iPod attachments....

Where is the runner with the big hammer?

Truly though, the iPhone is a brilliant design and it is v.1.0. If/when Apple decides to serve the consumer better I'll be there with cash.

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
I hate mobile phones - whole streets ofpeople twittering inanity into these socially-numbing devices or texting, or playing crap java games ingoring the entire rest of the world.

I hate freaking iPod. Zombie idiots bobbing their head in a daze to some bland indie nonsense like the Killers, or thumping funky house drivel on the train.

Macs unleash creativity. iPods and iPhones are right up there with Reality TV in shaping our dumbed-down consumerist wasteland of a world.

hey.... so who's your most listened to artist on your ipod? By the way, i'll see you in line on friday and we can both celebrate the awesomeness that is iPhone :p :apple:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Yawn. The iPhone bores me. Let me know when I can get an iPhone like iPod without the cell features... that is, a widescreen, multitouch, webbrowsing, video playing, WiFi enabled, 30gb+, 16+ hour battery touting iPod.

Or when Apple releases a NEW DESKTOP.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I know it says no Business Discounts, but can we still add iPhone to a Business Account?

Or does it have to be a Personal Account?

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
AT&T Wireless Insurance

From AT&T Web...
Wireless Phone Insurance protects against:

* Loss or theft
* Accidental physical or liquid damage*
* Mechanical and electrical failure after the manufacturer's warranty period has expired
* Includes power surge, physical or liquid damage

I have personally used it for the first issue. Phone got stolen... if Apples warranty doesn't protect against the same, (I bet you it doesn't), then this is very short sighted! :mad:

I think people should be very careful on having this "status" symbol out in public.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
What if I want to turn a individual plan into a family plan and make the iPhone that new line ... I didn't see how that can be done on iTunes?

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
I can't believe that more people have not discussed this "iPhone is not eligible for Wireless Phone Insurance"
(or maybe they have and I have missed it)

Some of you may simply say... "oh well, then don't buy the iphone if are not sure you can't take care of it, but remember.... accidents happen." I hope many of you, as well as myself dont get burned.

Maybe I am wrong in all this but I would love for someone to explain my options if any of these senarios played out.

Have you ever dealt with applecare before? it's one of the best warranties to ever exist. You just fill out a claim form, and they send you a repalcement, usually no questions asked. By the way, apple gives you a one year warranty, which covers basically everything, and for an extra 50-70 dollars, you get a second year of coverage via applecare. Much, much better than paying 50 dollars per issue, as you do via att. This is why nobody cares about the fact that there is no att warranty. You should rejoice, not be discouraged. Also, if you battery ever dies, why the hell would you want to pay 60 bucks to get it replaced, what i do, especially for my 5g ipod, is just tell them the battery life is diminishing, and they send me a new one via next day AIR to my house and i continue jammin to the ipod within an hour. (uploading music takes forever). There shouldnt be much of an issue getting a refurb iPhone(even though i swear refurb ipods are really new ones made the year you bought yours).

iphone is here less than 3 days.... AHHH i heart you :apple:

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Then I must be behind too...

Someone's behind in their assigned readings!

This is why I am going to an AT&T store and not an Apple Store. I want them to activate then and tehre for me since I am an existing costumer, need to change my data plan to the iPhone data plan, retool my contract so that it reflects 2yrs from the date I activate my iPhone...

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
This is why I am going to an AT&T store and not an Apple Store. I want them to activate then and tehre for me since I am an existing costumer, need to change my data plan to the iPhone data plan, retool my contract so that it reflects 2yrs from the date I activate my iPhone...

hey do this on like saturday or sunday when you are in NYC, dont hold up tha line cuz apple lets existing customers just add data plans on itunes, and you dont have to buy a plan. just fyi for ya

Merser

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
Have you ever dealt with applecare before? it's one of the best warranties to ever exist. You just fill out a claim form, and they send you a repalcement, usually no questions asked. By the way, apple gives you a one year warranty, which covers basically everything, and for an extra 50-70 dollars, you get a second year of coverage via applecare. Much, much better than paying 50 dollars per issue, as you do via att. This is why nobody cares about the fact that there is no att warranty. You should rejoice, not be discouraged.

I understand that applecare is good, I have utilized it for my macbook, but what about accidental damage or loss/theft?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Have you ever dealt with applecare before? it's one of the best warranties to ever exist. You just fill out a claim form, and they send you a repalcement, usually no questions asked. By the way, apple gives you a one year warranty, which covers basically everything, and for an extra 50-70 dollars, you get a second year of coverage via applecare. Much, much better than paying 50 dollars per issue, as you do via att. This is why nobody cares about the fact that there is no att warranty. You should rejoice, not be discouraged. Also, if you battery ever dies, why the hell would you want to pay 60 bucks to get it replaced, what i do, especially for my 5g ipod, is just tell them the battery life is diminishing, and they send me a new one via next day AIR to my house and i continue jammin to the ipod within an hour. (uploading music takes forever). There shouldnt be much of an issue getting a refurb iPhone(even though i swear refurb ipods are really new ones made the year you bought yours).

iphone is here less than 3 days.... AHHH i heart you :apple:

Which is all good, but last I checked Applecare didn't cover screen damage nor loss or theft of device, the main things I am worried about with a laptop or the iPhone. :)

I'd much rather pay $50 for a new iPhone than another $600...

psychboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
USA
Are you sure they will actually do that for you, though? Maybe it has to go through iTunes. Either way, I bet they'll make you do it on your own if you go in there this weekend...I bet it's just going to be too nuts for them to spend time with activations.

HailToTheVictor

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
if current at&t customers can just renew for 2 years with a data plan, then couldn't someone join up with at&t (say, today), get a discounted/free phone, and then, on friday, get an iphone and extend their contract 2 days?

The reason they give big discounts on phones is because it locks you in to a 2 year plan, but if current customers can renew with no penalty then they aren't getting anything back for that phone discount.

This is exactly what I was told to do by a AT&T store manager two days ago. However, I am a Nextel user, and he said it would be easier to do this and get everything set up as to save time on Friday, but with the iTunes setup I don't think it will be a problem.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
So what if you already are a Cingular/ATT Wireless customer and just want to drop in your SIM card? It should work, assuming all ATT SIM cards are the same (and from what I understand the SIM card on the iPhone opens in the same manner as an Apple IR Remote).

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Too late

hey do this on like saturday or sunday when you are in NYC, dont hold up tha line cuz apple lets existing customers just add data plans on itunes, and you dont have to buy a plan. just fyi for ya

Already took a half day to go wait in line at an AT&T store near my office. I going Friday so I can GET a phone. I'd imagine in NYC they will sell out, especially with the 24hr Apple store. I won't be holding up any lines, I"m a current AT&T customer and they are going to help me dammnit. :)

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
Which is all good, but last I checked Applecare didn't cover screen damage nor loss or theft of device, the main things I am worried about with a laptop or the iPhone. :)

I'd much rather pay $50 for a new iPhone than another $600...

they cover screen damage. I got my ipod screen cracked to where all you see is purple and white lcd lines(kinda like when you crack a computer or calculator screen). I sent in a claim to applecare online, sent my ipod, and got another one within 3 days. They dont check the ipods that come in from the websites. They do check at the stores though. Oh, i forgot, they dont cover theft, which should be addressed in the future, i just say dont flash it around, as i wont be flashing it around to anyone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.