AT&T's 'Mobile Share' Service Plans Launching August 23

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 6, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last month, AT&T announced that it would join Verizon in offering shared data plans including unlimited talk and text on phone while allowing users to share their monthly data allotments across multiple devices. The plans are structured with two basic components: a monthly cost for a data allotment and a per-device charge that varies from $10 to $45 depending on the type of device and the data plan selected.

AT&T has just announced that the new plans will be launching on August 23, and while current users will not have to switch to the new plans, they may do so without adding on to their contract term. And unlike Verizon, AT&T will continue to offer its existing plans alongside the new Mobile Share plans, giving users several options to help fit their device and service needs.

AT&T's new Mobile Share plans do include tethering and mobile hotspot functionality on compatible devices, while also offering free access to over 30,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots around the country.

[​IMG]

Full details on the new plans are available on AT&T's website.

Article Link: AT&T's 'Mobile Share' Service Plans Launching August 23

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I refuse to switch over! It's just not financially beneficial for me. Good idea, poor execution.

3. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

4. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Well, they don't have LTE in the areas I occupy. So, I'm switching to Verizon. Even though it's gonna cost about $20-30 more.

5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I wonder how this will effect any of us grandfathered into the 'unlimited data' plan for $30 a month via AT&T. My guess is that the change in the plan may remove unlimited data for users that still have it... It would be nice if it didn't. But my guess is this may be a chance for AT&T to try and purge some of its unlimited data customers.

6. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I wonder who at AT&T did the math on this one:

6GB with 5 smartphone lines: 90+35*5=$265
    10GB with 5 smartphone lines: 120+30*5=$270

7. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

2 users on the current family plan with 2GB each is now $20 more per month...but that is $20 after taxes on the current and before taxes on the new style.

hoping they keep the current plans for a while longer.

8. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Not true, just need to know where to look:

And you know that's a recent image because SGSIII came out July 1, Shared Data on June 16.

Attached Files:

9. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

And with that, AT&T may have actually won me back (and my wife's business, as well) -- Verizon's share everything plan would represent a huge cost increase over our current family plan, whenever one of us needs a new phone.

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You will definitely lose your unlimited. No way AT&T allows shared unlimited data.

11. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

So how do shared data plans handle tethering?

I see "Hotspot" devices are +$20 each, but that appears to be extra, physical devices (dedicated WAPs).

*If* this plan is just bandwidth + device used in ANY capacity you want, then this will be a great deal.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

I wonder why anyone would choose to add a laptop or tablet at 10-30 a pop when you can just use your phone and create a hotspot and allow either to connect for free.

I guess there COULD be times you don't have your phone with you. But seems silly as a pay-for-another-device option

13. Ryth macrumors 68000

14. room237 macrumors 6502

What about tethering?

Is that an extra $40 a month too?

Bastards.

15. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This new package pre-tax comes to my post-tax bill now. There's no way I'm changing.

16. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's actually included but it's still overpriced.

17. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Doesn't look like "sharing" to me. Looks like paying for my data already allotted to me twice. :rolleyes:

18. dashiel macrumors 6502a

Remember when the iPhone came out? $30 a month for unlimited data & 200 texts; no overlapping & confusing plans, no need for quadratic equations … then Google came along and sold us out.

19. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I'm steering clear of this stuff until it gets much cheaper. It costs much less to own a MacBook Pro than it does to have these dumb plans, and SMS shouldn't even cost money.

20. barkomatic macrumors 601

Just waiting for the announcement from AT&T just before the iPhone launch that all unlimited data plans will be discontinued upon purchasing the new model.

21. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Haha
    Reminds me of Burger King's 1-2-3 special. A hamburger is $1, but if you want it to have an extra patty, that's going to be $2. 3 patties is $3. So you pay triple to have triple meat. But 3 burgers > 3 patties on one burger....

22. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yeah, it appears to be included, from AT&T:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article...bout+AT&T+Mobile+Share+plans#fbid=XbTv9B5Slqa

23. room237 macrumors 6502

Is it really? I can't find any info about tethering. Just additional tablet but I'm assuming it's for a 3G or LTE device. do you have a link?

edit: nevermind, found it. still confusing. would they charge extra for a tablet using the hotspot? might be worth it to me if they dont

24. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

For 3+ phones, this [and VZW] isn't a bad deal. For 2 phones it's definitely more expensive...

25. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I bet that person wasnt from customer retention department