Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced a new loyalty reward for its DirecTV Now subscribers, offering free HBO for 12 months or $5 off for six months.

All existing customers with active DirecTV Now accounts that were created before March 6, 2017 can claim the loyalty reward. Customers with the "Go Big" and "Gotta Have It" plans will get 12 months of free HBO, while customers with the "Live a Little" and "Just Right" plans will get the $5 off reward.

Customers eligible for the HBO reward will be able to use their DirecTV Now login information to access HBOGo, and the HBO subscription will be listed in their Payment History as a $0 charge. Those who already have an HBO subscription will be automatically credited during the 12-month duration of the promotion.

directvnow.jpg

Because the HBO add-on is priced at $5 per month, customers with the smaller plans can use their $5 credit to get free HBO access for six months.

DirecTV Now subscribers are receiving emails about the promotion starting this afternoon.
You're getting HBO included with your existing package through March 7, 2018. You literally don't need to do a single thing other than enjoy all of HBO with unlimited access to the most entertaining movies, addictive series, family favorites and more.

Why now? Why you?

Simply put, we want to thank you for being one of our most valuable customers and coming on this unprecedented journey with us. We're dedicated to making DIRECTV NOW the best streaming entertainment product in the industry, and because of you, we're on our way. So go on, keep enjoying the huge library of the best entertainment with unlimited access to all of HBO--anytime, anywhere. Want more deets? Check out our FAQ."
HBO access will be granted automatically to eligible accounts, but it may take a few hours for accounts to be updated.

Introduced in November of 2016, DirecTV Now is AT&T's DirecTV-branded streaming television service, which includes various channel bundles at prices ranging from $35 to $70.

The cheapest "Live a Little" $35 per month plan offers 60+ channels, while the biggest "Gotta Have It" package, priced at $70 per month, offers 120+ channels.

Article Link: AT&T's New DirecTV Now Loyalty Promo Includes Free HBO for 12 Months or $5 Off for 6 Months

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
This will probably get me to stick around for a little while longer. I want to hold out till this summer/fall to see if DVR comes or not.

They have added a bunch of TV anywhere apps in the last 2 weeks. I need to see more improvement but at least they're working on it.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
This is cool! Performance has drastically improved since the abysmal launch. It's not perfect, but definitely stable now. Really wanting a DVR and more than 2 steams BUT for $35/month, no taxes or fees, no equipment rentals, no contracts, a free ATV4 and now free HBO, I can't really complain.

This will probably get me to stick around for a little while longer. I want to hold out till this summer/fall to see if DVR comes or not.

They have added a bunch of TV anywhere apps in the last 2 weeks. I need to see more improvement but at least they're working on it.

Do you happen to know the new apps they've added recently?

Reactions: bliggs and cjgrif

Justind

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
I bet this is discount is not eligible for the unlimited plus with direct tv now.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
No thanks. We would rather you fix the streaming issues and give us the DVR you promised.

Reactions: odin

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
This is cool! Performance has drastically improved since the abysmal launch. It's not perfect, but definitely stable now. Really wanting a DVR and more than 2 steams BUT for $35/month, no taxes or fees, no equipment rentals, no contracts, a free ATV4 and now free HBO, I can't really complain.

Do you happen to know the new apps they've added recently?

Here's the current list, they seem to be updating more frequently now.

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-u...-to-sign-in-to-network-sites-and-mobile-apps-

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
this...
Figures. I cancelled it this morning and went to Vue. Much faster and smoother of a UI and plus DVR. Can't believe DTV doesn't have DVR yet.
and this...
I used to be a big defender of AT&T. Not anymore. They are a horrible, horrible company.
I canceled too, still debating on going back to PS Vue (had a trial, it was ok) I just don't watch a lot of TV apparently... and yeah about to drop AT&T for T-Mobile (missed their latest deal due to AT&Ts shenanigans as of late screwing up my oder for Fiber and messing up my wireless bill royally).

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Existing subscriber with HBO and free Apple TV device offer (3 month prepaid)
If you subscribed to HBO during the prepayment window, we'll add the monthly discount at the end of the prepayment period. Your discount is effective for exactly one year, at which time the discount will automatically drop and the monthly HBO programming charge resumes. You must keep your “Go Big” or “Gotta Have It” DIRECTV NOW package to keep your HBO discount.

I read that as "you pay until the 3 months is over, then get the credit for 12mo, then start paying again." (if you got the free AppleTV) Anyone else?

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
I just cancelled yesterday. Service was OK and was starting to buffer more than it did when I first started. I think it's a decent price with the HBO bonus. I just don't watch that much TV. I think I maybe watched a dozen or so programs during the 3 months or so, however at least I have a new :apple:TV for a good price.

Reactions: DaveyVigs

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
First two months of service were rough during peek hours. It's been running flawlessly since then and I'm a very happy customer. Only con is that NBC needs to be airplayed to the Apple TV.

This is perfect timing since I was considering adding HBO.

Reactions: east85

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Just got an email from DTV that this was automatically added to my Go Big $35/month package until 3/7/18. Awesome news!

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Just got an email from DTV that this was automatically added to my Go Big $35/month package until 3/7/18. Awesome news!
Did yours actually state 3/7/18?

edit: I assume you didn't have HBO before. All of the emails for those already subscribed to HBO (including mine) don't state a thru date.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Did yours actually state 3/7/18?

edit: I assume you didn't have HBO before. All of the emails for those already subscribed to HBO (including mine) don't state a thru date.

From the email

"You're getting HBO included with your existing package through March 7, 2018. You literally don't need to do a single thing other than enjoy all of HBO with unlimited access to the most entertaining movies, addictive series, family favorites and more."

I don't see it in my channel line nor can I log into hbo go. Do I need to actually add HBO in my account setting for it to work?

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
From the email
I don't see it in my channel line nor can I log into hbo go. Do I need to actually add HBO in my account setting for it to work?
People on reddit said they had to add it manually, which contradicts the email promo.

Here is one of the posts.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
From the email

I got the same email, with the dates included. I thought a saw an article that said it would rolling out this afternoon, I haven't tried it yet, so maybe it will be automatically there later on.

This is what's listed on the website:

We'll take care of adding HBO to your account -- you decide what to watch and when to watch it.

If you remove HBO at any time it can only be added back at regular pricing.

Important information:

• We’ve added HBO programming to your account for one year.
  • To zero rate the charge for HBO, we added a monthly discount. You will see $0 HBO line item in your Payment History.
  • This discount is effective through March 7, 2018, at which time HBO and the discount will be removed from your account.
  • If you choose to continue HBO programming, please see Account Upgrades.
  • You must keep your “Go Big” or “Gotta Have It” DIRECTV NOW package to keep your HBO discount.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Only four months old and they're calling it a "loyalty" special. No doubt, the service is bleeding subscribers. Wonder how much money they lost on the free Apple TVs…

acmeplus

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
I got the same email, with the dates included. I thought a saw an article that said it would rolling out this afternoon, I haven't tried it yet, so maybe it will be automatically there later on.

This is what's listed on the website:

We'll take care of adding HBO to your account -- you decide what to watch and when to watch it.

If you remove HBO at any time it can only be added back at regular pricing.

Important information:

• We’ve added HBO programming to your account for one year.
  • To zero rate the charge for HBO, we added a monthly discount. You will see $0 HBO line item in your Payment History.
  • This discount is effective through March 7, 2018, at which time HBO and the discount will be removed from your account.
  • If you choose to continue HBO programming, please see Account Upgrades.
  • You must keep your “Go Big” or “Gotta Have It” DIRECTV NOW package to keep your HBO discount.

I've also received the same email but the HBO channels are not active even if the email states they have added them and that I don't need to do anything.

Wondering if I should add the HBO subscription... I'm afraid they will charge me and then spend several hours fighting customer service.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
No thanks. We would rather you fix the streaming issues and give us the DVR you promised.

Streaming has been almost perfect the last week or so. I was just about to cancel, but maybe now I will keep it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.