AT&T's Proposed LTE Data plans (Rumor)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Jun 28, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

http://www.cultofmac.com/this-is-what-att-will-charge-you-every-month-for-your-lte-iphone/102763

AT&T is proposing these LTE data plans for their 4G devices.

30 dollars per month: 5GB data with 7MB Download and 3.0MB upload.

60 dollars per month: 10GB of data with 9Mbps down and 5.0 Mbps up.

80 dollars per month: 20GB of data with 12 Mbps down and 7.5 Mbps upload

If you go over any of these plans, AT&T will be glad to rape you with overage charges of $0.05 per Meg Over.

Your thoughts?

2. ap3604, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

ap3604 macrumors 68000

I saw this article earlier and wondered does this mean...

$40 for voice
    $15/25 for 3g data
    $30 for 5gb of 4g data

Or is it simply...

$40 for voice
    $30 for 5gb of 4g data

Strange that they would offer an extra 3gb of data (over the current 2gb cap) at LTE speeds for a measly $5...

If these become the new data plans they make Verizon's new data prices look like ****!

3. Helixc0de macrumors regular

Prices are way to high. I'm not willing to pay that much for a smart phone data plan. That is higher than my actual home internet bill.

4. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Since LTE speed is almost 5-10 times faster than 3G speed, I am sure they will just charge 30 dollars for 5GB. Anyone can go over pretty quick with this kind of speeds.

Personally, I don't like these pricing. Verizon's pricing is worse, but AT&T is bad as well. I am looking for family data plans.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That's cheaper than going over 250 MB now and getting the second 250 MB.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't want LTE if those plans are what it means. my 3G speeds of 3Mb/s+ are fast enough for pulling weather or email. ...

reason i say this is because we can't tether anyways.

so, i hope they still keep the cheaper plans because i might have to stay on 3G then.

-OR- can we just sign up for 3G data on a 4G device? i'd be happy ... doubt this will happen though

7. NYYankees macrumors member

Awful if true, I hope this proposed Tmobile/ATT merger gets axed right this instant.

What a frigging joke:mad:!

8. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

But, Verizon is charing more than AT&T...?

What does this Merger have to do with these data plans?

Both Verizon and AT&T already control over 50% in US.

9. err404 macrumors 68020

LTE is a different tech. The more efficient use spectrum allows for increasing the per tower capacity while maintaining similar overhead costs. This translate into a lower cost per MB.

10. outphase macrumors 65816

I wonder if anyone on current AT&T/VZW unlimited plans will remain grandfathered on the LTE changeover.

11. jp700p macrumors regular

Thats it... i'm going to Verizon to lock in unlimited. I would suggest any of you who value unlimited data to also switch before its too late. Sure theirs always Sprint but so far Sprints WiMax 4G sucks. Even the average WiMax speed is about the speed of the peak speed of AT&T 3G.

I'm doing to miss roll over minutes from AT&T most, but I barely use voice anyway. With LTE i'll just use a service from Line2 or something.

I'm out, see ya AT&T. Hello Verizon

12. jp700p macrumors regular

13. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Until Verizon changes their mind, which they have done before.

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

All the more reason to get an iPhone 5 that's not LTE to keep unlimited 3G. Cause if we are forced to change when the LTE iPhone comes out, then no thanks.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Agreed. Hate to say it, but I'll leave AT&T.
    Good thing iPhone 5 most probably won't have LTE.

16. NickkyJ macrumors regular

and if u have the 30 dollar unlimited data? What happens?

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

they have tech in the iPhone 4 that (combined with newer towers in the proper areas) gets up to 7.2 mbps, and HSPA+ gets even more than that in their current "4g" phones, so why would they offer 4g in a 7mbps package when they're already basically doing more than that, and if their competitors (verizon) offer MUCH faster 4g than that?

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Agree. I doubt we'll see constant 7Mb/s speeds anyways. What really pisses me off is that they are charging different prices for different speeds and caps.

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Like you and others, there is not a chance I would upgrade unless I kept my unlimited.

Not a chance.

With Verizon allowing for people to upgrade and keep unlimited, I seriously doubt AT&T does not do the same.

Now, after this cycle? Doubt we can keep it.

20. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

If they charge different prices for different speeds I will 100% be switching carriers. That is the #1 no-no in my book.

21. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

This is absolutely fake. Charging for different speeds is impossible on a cellular network. If they do, they better guarantee those speeds in ALL locations where they have LTE coverage.

Land lines can do this because they are stationary.

22. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

So then tell me how some cellular providers throttle certain users (T-Mobile, for example). It is not impossible to charge for speeds. When you sign a data package and your IMEI is registered in AT&T's systems, your phone would only be allowed to get a maximum speed, they can easily do this. I am not saying these prices are absolutely true, but calling this "absolutely fake" because you don't think a cellular company has the ability to do something is wrong.

23. nateo200, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Lol @ Throttling cellular data services.....lol

With something like a fiber optic network like Verizon fios you can do this because the data rates for the most part are rock solid. But when you throttle wireless it becomes an issue because if the network in a particular area is slower then that "throttle" is not going to be accurate. if your wireless router has speed throttling try it by throttling to just above what your broadband provider says is your data rates. You might not see a difference but when the rates on the broadband drop so will your wifi speed but more so with a throttle. T-Mobile throttles after you go over X amount of data which is cool but I don't want that **** on everyday light usage. If I can get YouTube to play over a 50Mbs downlink connection you bet your ass I want that.

Honestly though what I want both AT&T and verizon to do is just go over kill with capacity increasements and backhaul changes...You just can not throttle a cellular network unless its at stable speeds and good ones at that. AT&T still has a bunch of towers with backhaul consisting only of 10 T1 lines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T1_line .... that's scary. Backhaul needs to be pushing the limits of what carriers can buy out in terms of fiber backhaul. I KNOW AT&T relies on some of Verizons fiber network for backhaul in areas where they don't have there massive backbone.

24. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Stationary or mobile has nothing to do with it.

You absolutely CAN charge different for different speeds.

The types of throttling and capping that can be done is almost limitless. If I want to throttle people going to cnn.com but not attws.com, it can be done. If I want to limit throughput to some users and not others, it can be done. If I want to throttle based on the time of day, it can be done. If I want to throttle based on where the subscriber is, it can be done. If I want to let people see low-res YouTube but not 720p or 1080p, it can be done.

25. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I didn't say they "can't" do it literally. Of course they CAN do it. They can do anything they want.

But if they are trying to remain in business they will not limit speeds on a wireless 4g network. Cable does it because they can actually provide the speeds they advertise.

ATT currently advertises 7mbit down for HSPA phones... we are lucky to get 5. Until ATT can give what is advertised, they will not be able to throttle speeds SUCCESSFULLY on an ever day, every task basis.