ATI Mobility Radeon 9000

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Several have noted that ATI has announced the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (review).

This has naturally spawned speculation in the rumor community that upcoming Powerbooks will sport the new chipset, which will be first utilized in a Compaq Presario in September.

ATI's Mobility Radeon 9000 Media Images picturing a Titanium Powerbook has also raised eyebrows.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
the question is, how did the get the dvd to play w/out wires? :D :D

also, isn't there a bug in OSX that causes the dvd player to crash after an hour or something? or did they fix that?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
The Mobility Radeon 9000 is the same as the desktop version. The only differences are lower clock speeds and power saving features. It is the fastest 3D chip for laptops. The chip is faster than the Geforce 4Ti in some areas and much faster than the Geforce 4MX. It also has a better battery life than most other 3D graphics chips. For more details go to www.tomshardware.com .

I do not think the Mobility Radeon 9000 will be in Apple Laptops until Macworld SF because Apple said that it takes about 6 months to develop and make a new computer. The previous powerbooks have also had a new graphics chip in them about 4-6 months after the graphics chip was been released.

Pelorus

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by Choppaface
the question is, how did the get the dvd to play w/out wires? :D :D
Those marketing/PR guys have some advanced technologies.

also, isn't there a bug in OSX that causes the dvd player to crash after an hour or something? or did they fix that?
Maybe there is but I've not seen it on my Pismo. In fact DVD playback beats OS9 hands down. I watched Practical Magic last night...huhuhuhu Sandra....

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
Originally posted by hvfsl

I do not think the Mobility Radeon 9000 will be in Apple Laptops until Macworld SF because Apple said that it takes about 6 months to develop and make a new computer. The previous powerbooks have also had a new graphics chip in them about 4-6 months after the graphics chip was been released. [/B]

Perhaps Apple has been working with ATI for some time now, so the chip could very well come out soon in the PBG4. For example, the GeForce 4MX debuted on the PowerMac G4 earlier this year. If it took them 6 months to develop it, they must have collaborated in secret with nVidia for a while. And why shouldn't they do the same with ATI?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
It is easy just to put a graphics card in a desktop computer, but the graphics is built on to the motherboard in laptops. Which means Apple needs to come up with a new motherboard if they want to use the Mobility Radeon 9000. This is what takes about 6 monhs to develop. For example, it may run hotter than the old graphics chip, which means that Apple will have to come up with a new way of cooling the powerbook down.

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
True, but take a look at this quote from the review of the Mobility Radeon 9000 at www.anandtech.com:

"We also got wind of the fact that a good number of tier one OEMs will be shipping Mobility Radeon 9000 notebooks soon. The validation and verification time for these historically cautious OEMs is much longer than the tier two and tier three vendors but even so designs are near finalization....

...It is exciting to see Mobility Radeon 9000 based notebooks come to market as soon as they are. Past mobile GPU launches have proven that it can be months before a new notebook design is ready to go. Hopefully the Mobility Radeon 9000 launch will set precedent for future mobile GPUs."

So perhaps ATI has been actively going out to manufactures to get this GPU out the door ASAP. And, with the sexy TiBook, wouldn't Apple be a prime target for them? :)

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Smells like no CPU speed bump in new PowerBooks. Please dont do this to me Apple! I will buy next rev titanium..but if they are only 800 mhz..man i wont buy that crap.

kumichou

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
NE, Ohio
Pin compatible

From the Anandtech review:

All the chips are actually pin compatible with one another and the older Mobility Radeon 7500, as they are all made in a 31x31 BGA package.
Okay, so that pretty much spells it out... If manufacturers already are using Mobility RADEON 7500 or higher chips in their laptops, they just have to swap out the old chip & solder in a brand new Mobility RADEON 9000.

Sounds like ATI is making this very easy for manufacturers. This would lead me to believe that Apple could do the same...just swap out the old 7500 chips, slap in 9000s along with 933MHz or 1GHz G4s and *BAM* Powerbook upgrade done with little effort (read as: no major board redesign).

This is pretty exciting news! :D I'd be more than happy to pick up a Powerbook config'd like this.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by Megaquad
Smells like no CPU speed bump in new PowerBooks. Please dont do this to me Apple! I will buy next rev titanium..but if they are only 800 mhz..man i wont buy that crap.
I have a Ti and I don't think a speed bump will have much effect on overall user experience. The G4 is already plenty fast for most end user applications.

What is needed is faster wireless (802.11g) and lower power and heat components. Disc drives are already large enough to digitixe an entire video now, and the internal bandwidth while in need of improvement can barely handle that bandwidth.

A TiG4 would make a cool shareware Tivo unit and remote control for your A/V Theater syatems. Then you could simply control the local resources that are not bandwidth limited and just save everything on your local fiber network to your home A/V server. (a mini-x-serve ipod for videos). Think LC (pizza) box with dual G4 and raid controller.

The image used to promote Radeon 9000 mobile with the Ti in a home theayer is very near my actual lifestyle now. I however have a power cord and an ethernet cord.

When will Apple release AirPower-tm?

Rocketman

ambush

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2002
Will it be possible to throw one of those in a new ibook (600, mobility Radeon)??

ElRayOX

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
Chicago
Can only be good news

The TiBook is probably one of the best mobiles out and the Radeon 9000 would be an excellent addition. Probably the thing to push me to buy one and replace my PB2400C (a great subnotebook by the way...)

bkassing

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Obviously they don't want to canabalize their current 667/800 sales but don't you think it would make sense just ONCE to announce something like this with ATI? Wouldn't it be a good thing to show the PC world, that yes, Apple can have the same cards as you, etc?

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
how powerfule is the radeon m 9000? it looks to be more powerful than the xbox's chipset (a lite geforce 3 if im not mistaken...although i've heard it might be a geforce2mx :eek: ) so bascally if a tibook got that chipset it would be the ultimate portable gaming system (assuming one enjoys the selection of Mac games, which are actually quite decent) one or two firewire drives to transfer dvd's onto and u have an entirely portable entertainment system. who plays anything but war3???