Atomic iPhone Aluminum Case review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by johnnybgood15, Sep 16, 2010.

1. johnnybgood15 macrumors 6502

I ordered one of the atomic aluminum cases. I had wanted to get a 2nd element but it seems like they are so backed up.

I will try and do a more in depth report later but wanted to post my initial response and impressions.

Whatever Nolesfan did to his case apparently was not done to mine. In areas where I normally get 1 bar with the Element, I get "no service" with the atomic. Thus far this case is flatlining my signal, it's not just dropping bars it's killing them.

I re-read nolesfan posts and he said he was testing two different solutions atomic came up with to help with the signal issues, not sure what they are but I would like to hear it.

Also the case has no lining, absorbing material, or tape to speak of on the inside, pure aluminum.

Also the fit and finish is not as nice as element, it's not bad, just doesent meet the quality of element, which I think is exceptional.

2. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

3. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

There's NOTHING on the inside of the case to insulate it from the antenna? Holy s***...

4. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Yeah in one of the other threads that is mentioned. Something about it being designed differently and not needing it. I might've read that on another forum actually..not sure?

But yeah, no insulation.

5. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Then there's probably not much way to keep this case's aluminum from contacting the antenna. This is the problem I had with my Vapor, until I piled the insulating tape inside it and completely separated it from the iPhone's antenna. Don't see much way that they could have designed it not to come in contact with the antenna without some type of insulation.

6. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Found it.

http://www.iphone4forum.net/forum/15702-post8.html

"We precision engineered our case not to require rubber linings or bulky sponges that may or may not work. We have a thinner side wall, lower profile, and smaller windows designed around customer feed back for stealthier look. Our logo is tastefully placed, and not over done. Ours is lighter using 7075 grade aluminum. "

7. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I saw that over on their forum as well. I'm just saying that I don't see any way to have the case attach without touching the antenna, if they aren't using a softer insulator. The only way I could see it is if they machined it tight enough that it rested on the tiny edge of the sheets of glass (front and back), but even then, if you don't center the phone precisely in the case, part of the case could/would touch the antenna.

8. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

If it bares on the glass edges which is the only way I can see it hover outside the antenna. What happens to the glass when it's dropped and the impact is transmitted directly to the glass (crack!!!!)

9. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Exactly. Which is why I think we are honestly wasting time looking at these aluminum/metal cases for anything other than aesthetic reasons. Until one comes out with a full rubber liner/insulator (for both insulation from touching the antenna, and for shock absorption), I think these cases are for looks only. And even then, when/if one comes out with a decent shock absorbing liner and metal exterior, I think the case is going to be very expensive.

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Exactly that. You're basically adding a case that becomes one with the iPhone, meaning it will transfer all impact to the phone as one.

11. damant macrumors 6502

damant

+1
    In addition, wouldn't the case cratch the glass or the black rims of the phone itself!
    Using insulator is a good thing if not for the reception then it's good for the shock when dropped ...!?!

But I'll give Atomic case the benefit of the doubt ... Please post further reviews & pics .
    Thx

12. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Does that liner completely line the entire case, or is it like the Element case which has 4 or 5 small patches of weatherstripping (basically) that do little to nothing as far as true insulating?

13. damant macrumors 6502

damant

If only Elementcase were half as responsive/caring as you at Alumacase!
    But then again we wouldn't have so much fun reading these "iphone 4 case" thread. ;-)

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Well then I'm sure you'll submit your case to GearDiary & Larry Greeberg for testing & review, correct?

15. johnnybgood15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: this case is horrible for reception. No matter where I went it said "no service.". I expected that near my house as it's typically a low signal area, but work is usually 3 bars at it's lowest and still reading "no service.".

I would love to know how nolesfan got his signal to improve because this thing has turned my iPhone into an iPod touch.

16. damant macrumors 6502

damant

insteresting:confused:...nolesfan did say that he had some left over protective shield/tape on his phone; so that could've affected his test perhalf?:rolleyes:

some pics please.
    thanks.

17. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Judging from his pics he has a microcell. I have a m-cell too and whenever I'm sitting at my desk, right next to it, I have 5 bars.

18. nolesfan macrumors regular

And if you would have come to me or Atomic and asked for the fix I probably would have helped you out but instead you jump on here and bash the case so from what the guys at Atomic have said they just told you to send the case back. Sorry about your luck with the case. It the proper things are done to the case, it works very well.And from here on out they will be done with the cases I believe.

19. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

Defending your baby again?? Why should a consumer have to contact a 3rd party non-affiliated person for a fix? Somehow you know that atomic told him to send it back too?? Defend your baby some more like a good mommy bird.

20. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's just me but when I pay good money for something, isn't it reasonable to expect that it should work without me having to do anything extra or pay anything extra?

21. nolesfan macrumors regular

Yes, it's pretty funny my case works perfectly but yet his as he said KILLED his signal. And yes they contacted me about his situation and I said I would just tell him to send it back, he has already bashed your product, why help him? If they would have told him how to fix his so called problem then everyone on this site would know how to fix the vapor also. Do you think Atomic wants that? Why would they contact me? They contacted me so their case does not perform like the Vapor, that's why! They actually care about their customers. If they didn't they would have not come on here at all or refunded his money.Has Vapor refunded anyone's money? Nope!

22. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Why should anyone paying $80 for a "premium" case have to do anything to the case to get it to work, period? I don't understand the mindset of Element or Atomic. That's the main reason I got rid of me Vapor. I got it working fine through lots of modification myself, but...I shouldn't have to do the work for them! If they (Element or Atomic) are such good engineers, why are they selling cases the end user has to apply all kinds of tricks to, just to get to work? Hell, Atomic themselves have stated that they know the case in it's current state kills signal, but they will apply a "retroactive" fix to it? What the hell?

23. nolesfan macrumors regular

Fair enough question. Does the Vapor perform without you doing anything to it? Better yet, does the Vapor period. I am just saying, you asked the question so I am giving you a perfectly honest answer. And the Atomic cases are now being send out with the fix, they were unaware that they were having any problems from what I have been told, once they got reports about the problems, they have done what they needed to do to fix the problem.

24. nolesfan macrumors regular

But when they first send out their cases they told me that they did not know about the issues. No one reported anything to them about it. They never seen any negative effects on their own phones. So once they were made aware of the problems, they have been addressing it and now should be sending them out with the fix to solve these issues.

25. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

But, didn't you bash the Vapor because it had to be fixed to work? And it appears the Atomic has the exact same problem. And aren't you the one (according to your own words) that had to fix your Atomic (you've talked about the "fix" that you could have told johnnybgood15 about) to get it to work optimally? But yet, even though you were a first tester, and had to modify yours (again, according to your own words), they (Atomic) didn't know that the cases would need a fix? Wow...