ATT may charge fees for MMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by khong1010, Mar 17, 2009.

1. khong1010 macrumors member

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/03/17iphone.html

*MMS messaging is available only on iPhone 3G; fees may apply. MMS may not be available in all areas.

I'll be very disappointed if ATT decides to chard iphone users for MMS services...

this is ridiculous...

2. Wailord macrumors 6502

Well, doesn't that mean that MMS isn't free? SMS isn't either. They'll probably be combined like every other phone.

3. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I don't think anyone else sales MMS separate from SMS (could be wrong). Maybe what they are talking about is similar to what you see if you send SMS from other websites or apps or like SMS votes on American Idol. If you have plan A and go over usage you will be charged for overages, just like on current SMS plans.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just any other phone. Everything is charged. More you charge, the more they make.

Simple economics....

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

MMS is included in messaging plans, but will of course carry fees if you don't have such a plan.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

7. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

usually they charge unless you have unlimited text.
    and usually if your a big MMSer your a big SMSer and will have unlimited anyway.

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I have an unlimited texting plan on my family plan, and it includes MMS. I doubt there will be another surcharge on top of that.

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

https://www.wireless.att.com/olam/showFeatureDetails.olamexecute?selectedFtrSoc=MSG3

Not sure if you can load it without logging in.

10. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

11. clikzip macrumors newbie

probably

I work for an at&t call center, coincidentally 2 days after the apple press release about the 3.0 update, there was a post from at&t stating. "Reminder, the iphone 3g nor 2g supports mms. Under NO circumstances do you add the mms feature to an iphone account".

I would say there is most definitly going to be a separate feature in billing for an iphone mms than a standard phone. Which means more $$$

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This is not a change in policy. You never could add MMS capabilities to an iPhone account. Sure, there have been work-arounds, but AT&T would just change it back after a month. I'm sure this memo is just reminding the call center employees that they still can't enable MMS despite the recent announcement. However, in June (not any time earlier), this will change. You will then likely be able to enable MMS. It would be strange for AT&T to screw it highest paying customers.

13. clikzip macrumors newbie

Possibly, but not necessarily. Even the information on the apple website leaves me skeptical. We were never supposed to support that capability and everyone that even almost knows there job is aware. Was just kind of out of place when most urgent update posts are for outages. So as to whether or not it DEFINITLY will charge well know soon. The feature shows up in billing a month or so before the change is effective, only time will tell.

14. lillybeth macrumors member

i asked an att employee the other day if mms would be different for the iphone. she said no they are included in your package..which mine is unlimited so i am good

15. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Unless you friend is the VP in charge of the relationship with Apple or Pricing, I don't think I'd take this to the bank. I'm hoping it's included also, but only time (not a generic ATT employee) will tell.

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It wouldn't be strange. That would be normal.

17. synagence macrumors 6502a

Why is anyone shocked that MMS isn't free?

O2 in UK charge 4xSMS credits from your allowance for an MMS message.
    or around 40p otherwise. Hence why i couldn't give a stuff about MMS cos its so expensive and a general ripoff

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple has spent almost 2 years telling us to just use e-mail; that it was for our own good.

Well, they finally gave in to the complaining and gave us what we wanted. They tried to warn us, and I have a feeling we're very quickly going to learn why Apple was trying to protect us.

Well, it's not their problem any more. They tried. It's our problem now.

19. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I don't think apple was protecting us... NOT BY A LONG SHOT.... The only reason why they added these feature's is because every other phone out there has it.. Apple know's that people switch to blackberry for a reason, they want as many customers as possible... As for e-mailing all the time what if I have to send my mom something on the fly... She can't get e-mail on her phone and she doesn't want it on her phone.. She will wait until she get's home...

One more thing, why is everyone saying that MMS is old and e-mail is the new thing.??? Just because apple says so, and left MMS out on the iphone.. I bet more people will use the MMS now than e-mail....

James

20. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

MMS runs through your data plan. if you turn off a data plan on any smart/pda phone then your MMS stop working.

most likely if you have a text plan and unlimited data then i would imagine you will not see an increase.

probably likely though that the 200 text plan included on the iPhone plan will not count and you will have to upgrade.

i am on the unlimited data (of course) and the standard (non-iphone) 1500 text message plan and they better not mess with my bill LOL

my wife has a smartphone which i cancelled the data plan for (so she now has no MMS) but kept minutes and texts and for the 2 of us we are at $200/month with the taxes included.

i can have the exact same plan with my local Bell using yellowsnow for $115 per month with unlimited everything.

this is not the time in the US to increase our bills with tedious things like adding MMS messages and i am sure i am not the only that would leave if they add one more dime to my bill.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And I'm sure AT&T will charge them more for it.

As long as getting your mom that photo "on the fly" is worth that money to you, then have fun.

Me? I'm happy to wait for my mom to get home to see a photo.

22. kenkamm macrumors regular

I went to AT&T's site and logged in to my account. I removed the iPhone messaging plan (sms only I guess) and added the "general" messaging plan which includes MMS. I then made a call to AT&T and asked them to provision my account for MMS because I am developing apps for firmware 3.0 and need to test MMS applications. They did. MMS works perfectly fine for me on 3.0 now.

23. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Does this mean all the 'wtf iPhone doesn't have MMS?!' threads will be soon be replaced with 'wtf, now the iPhone has MMS but we have to pay for it?!'
    :eek:

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Everyone will suddenly start using MMS, given that it has limitations and isn't free?

I always thought MMS was old hat. SMS but you can send a picture and a midi jingle that cost (in the UK) 4 times more than an SMS.

25. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Were the plans the same price?